Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pet product reviews - dog products

Old May 10th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Vacuum ratings... (lol)

Well I am looking to see what you guys would suggested for vacuum purchasing. I will be moving soon into a condo that is 80% carpeted and I don't have the funds to change the flooring to laminate just yet. So that being said, I'm looking for a great, yet affordable, vacuum that will last and pick up the dog hair from the carpet.

So far I'm looking into the Dirt Devil for pets... but not sure about its sucking power...
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:06 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

We just recently got the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser vacuum. with two dogs and five cats in the house I needed something. So far so good. It does a great job of lifting the hair. It comes with attachments for stairs and furniture as well. First time I vacuumed with it I couldn't believe the crap it pulled up! Filters are easy to replace (one) and clean (one can be washed) too.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 10th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a Dirt Devil (not sure what the model is but it only cost $99) and I'm impressed with how long it's lasted and how good the suckage is. It's way better than the Eureka and Hoovers I had before it. Bagless is the only way to go.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 10th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Molly's mama

I will second 14+ review of the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser. Its got lots of handy attachments, and is bagless. I love to see what it sucks up every time!!
Old May 10th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Husky Addict

anyone heard about the dyson animal? I know it's expencive, but I have asthma and a husky :P lots of hair around *even if we groom him outside, once a day and vacuum everyday*

right now our vacuum is like 20 years old, it still does the job, but :S has bags and its really not the best

Titus - Siberian Husky
Lex - hairless rat
Old May 10th, 2009, 02:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I have a Dirt Devil (not sure what the model is but it only cost $99) Bagless is the only way to go.
Ditto , having bought 3 vacuums in the last 4 years , I always go bagless and I can tell you that there's no need to pay more than $100.00 , I did for the last one and I like the other ones better , the ones that were under 100.00 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtoreth View Post
anyone heard about the dyson animal?
Dyson ! of course if you can afford it , Dyson is the way to go.

One day .... one day I will have my Dyson
Old May 10th, 2009, 04:03 PM

Well I am happy to report that I went to Walmart today and got the Dirt Devil one for pets (it has a golden puppy on the box). Anxious to get home to use it, as soon as I walked into the door I opened the box. LOL Needless to say, I've never seen so much crap sucked into a vacuum canister in one vacuum session.

I told my roommate about my new purchase and she vacuumed her part of the house, now wants to do her car with it!!

Its my vacuum darnit... go get your own.... Well that's what went through my mind anyway. Never thought i'd ever be possessive of a vacuum LOL
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:53 PM

I have the Dyson animal and it's great for the pet hair. I didn't have a tremendous amount of luck removing dog hair from one of my couches... but I think that might have more to do with the couch fabric than the vacuum. My only complaint is that my own hair, which is really long, tends to wind itself around the beater bar, so the beater bar requires occasional hair removal, but amazingly no dog hair seems to stick on the beater bar, unlike every other surface in the house.

And no filters or anything to be replaced. Only one filter that should be washed every six months. And having the bagless makes vacuuming very satisfying in that I can see all the crud that's no longer in my carpet
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM
~Cat Servent~

I dream about having a dyson.... but hubby says fat chance! I've been through about 6 vacuums in 10 years, and I do like the one I have now the Bissell total floors, I have some area rugs and laminate and you can turn off the beater bar. On area rugs though it's so powerful it sucks out pieces of carpet! I thought it too had crapped out on me, but then found another filter that was supposed to be cleaned... oops! I actually snagged the Total Floors online for 1/2 price on sale.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM

Okay, I got no carpet, but the shedding is driving me nuts. I guess it's time for me to buy a vacuum. I disassembled my Roomba three times and it doesn't look like I can bring it back to life again ().

My options are:

Possibly another Roomba mainly because it can get underneath the bed. The cleaning time is much longer than a regular vacuum, but I can let it run while I'm at work. It doesn't help with the couches though.

Or the Dirt Devil bagless canister. Bagless is always nice and I hear the HEPA filter is one of the best on this vacuum. Also fairly cheap as the price ranges from $100 to $200. Although, there are longevity issues.

Or Hoover WindTunnel Canister Bagless Vacuum. Seems like it just as good at the Dirt Devil, but lasts longer... but also $100 more.

Or a vintage vacuum. I hear vacuums that are 30+ years old really suck! Which is a good thing for vacuums. The sturdy construction and more powerful engine put today's vacuums to shame. That is if you can find one in good condition. Probably dirt cheap if you can find one at a yard sale.
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

The absolute best is the Dyson and worth every penny of it. I bought mine in buffalo for 400. It sells for 600 here and it never dies and picks up all the dog hair and dirt. It is over 3years old and just keeps on going. I have the dyson animal
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog