Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 21st, 2010, 04:01 AM
bibi_sim

My 1st post, pls help thanks!

"Hi everybody.... a very good day to you. I have two questions and thus i hoped
you guys can render your help.

Firstly, how to know whether my maltese is suffering from a tooth decay?

Secondly, can i feed my dog with panadol? BTW, i've been feeding him with PO-CHAI pills" through out these years. Question, now is it safe to do so?

Thanks!
Old September 21st, 2010, 10:12 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

These both sound like questions for a vet, bibiboy. Tooth decay or even gingivitis will require vet help to clear up and it's a good idea to check with a vet before giving your dog any new supplements or meds. I'm not sure what either panadol or PO-CHAI pills are...

So my best advice is that you talk to your vet.

Welcome to the forum, btw, and if you have pics of your maltese to share, we'd love to see pics

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 21st, 2010, 05:20 PM

Panadol?
That's a pill for humans, here in the mid-east Panadol is like Tylenol.
Sorry I'm not much help, but just thought I'd let other members know what Panadol is.
Old September 21st, 2010, 05:21 PM

Oh and welcome to the forum..!
Old September 21st, 2010, 06:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, thanks, Giovanni!

If it's tylenol, then definitely do not give it unless advised to do so by the vet--acetaminophen is toxic to dogs.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:48 AM

I wouldn't go feeding a dog pills that are meant for people, there are lots of things that are toxic to them that are ok for people.
Panadol (acetaminophen) is definitely toxic to dogs!!

I wouldn't give the PO-CHAI pills unless you verify all of the ingredients with your vet. You could be harming your dog and not realise it.

Here's the ingrediants of po-chai pills, if anyone here knows more specifically if they are okay or not okay for dogs:
Halloysitum I minera
Rhizoma Atrach root
Oryzae Satiae/sprout
Herba menthae leave
Selerotrum Porifungal
Radix Puepariae root
Herba Agastaches S leaves
Excarpium Citri/tangerined red part
Cortex magnoliae O. bark
Masse Fermentata Neaven leave

My big question would be WHY do you feel the need to give panadol and po-chail pills to your dog??
If you think your dog is in pain, has he been seen by a vet? What's causing the pain? There are safe painkillers that are specifically prescribed for dogs to use. Po-chai is used to help diarrhea, bloating and vomiting - is this what your dog is experiencing?

I'd strongly suggest a visit to your vet - your vet can also assess your dog's teeth for decay.
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:45 PM

Some signs of tooth decay may be terrible breath, pawing at the mouth/face, and a change in eating/chewing habits. If it's causing pain, your dog could become head shy. Or your dog could show no noticeable symptoms!

Dogs typically don't get cavities the way humans do, but periodontal/gum disease is a common and serious problem for them. Google it for more info. If your malt's gums are dark pink or red where the gums meet the teeth and especially if they bleed easily, then s/he likely has serious gum disease and tooth decay. However, sometimes the teeth (and gums) will appear healthy (due to an owner doing a good job of brushing daily--so no plaque/tartar buildup is visible) but teeth can still require extraction because decay may be happening just underneath the gum line.

As has already been said, it's important that you bring your malt to the vet so they can assess the situation. Sometimes they will want to do a cleaning and/or extract any problem teeth while the dog is under anesthesia. Most dogs manage fine after an extraction, even if they have no teeth left--they usually just need softened foods for a while while they learn new eating habits.