Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Old August 11th, 2005, 06:25 AM

beef jerky for dogs???

I make beef jerky and I was wondering what I would put in it to make it ok for doggy treats.

People jerky contains:

beef roast
garlic powder
onion powder
salt
pepper
soya sauce
water

I know my baby likes it like it is, but I feel there is too much spice in it to give her any. I'd like to know what to put in it to flavor the meat without it upsetting her stomach.

Thanks
Old August 12th, 2005, 11:06 PM

I think it would be fine, but I would cut way back on the salt. Salt acts as a preservative, but too much not so good for puppies. Soy sauce is way huge in salt, but maybe you could try low sodium soy?
Old August 12th, 2005, 11:18 PM
-

Eliminate the onion powder, salt, soya sauce and pepper. You could also make different kinds of jerky, try it with liver and chicken. All would make great dog treats.
Old April 20th, 2008, 10:04 AM

Dog Jerky

The oinion and garlic have been found to be harmful to dogs. I'm not sure of all the details, but I know that onion and garlic are now being treated like chocolate is. Some salt is ok.

I buy dog jerky from DogJerkyDirect.com it is all natural.
Old June 21st, 2008, 02:55 PM

Re: beef jerky for dogs???

Just like onions, garlic contains thiosulphate, which is toxic to dogs and especailly to cats. Onions are more of a danger because of the amount of thiosulphate. Dogs or cats affected by thiosulphate toxicity, will develop haemolytic anaemia. While some dogs can tolerate some garlic, it should be used cautiously, if used at all.

Dogs do not usually like spicy food such as humans do. My bakery smokes the meat for over 7 hours and we don't add anything. We do use wood chips such as ash or oak but nothing else.

You can use Italian herbs on almost anything for dogs. Cats do not have the same digestive system and so you need to be careful not to use the same foods/treats for dogs as you do for cats. I am not an expert in cats but I am sure someone on this forum is.

Good luck!
Pamela Akkerman
Old June 21st, 2008, 03:56 PM
Tamer of the Furgang

I'd sprinke a tiny bit of garlic powder on there and that's it. NO SALT !
Old December 21st, 2008, 01:45 AM

theres no need for any of the salt and pepper, and onion and garlic is bad for dogs which has been stated already. instead of water if you made a beef broth (salt free and no flour for thickening) and used that, it would give it more aroma and flavour that the dog would cherish.
Old February 16th, 2011, 05:24 AM

I was coming to this website before I gave my dog some peppered beef jerky. I'm glad I looked, but I have a question. I left a bag of beef jerky on the counter and my dog ate all of it, it was a jumbo bag of peppered beef jerky and nothing happened to her. I wouldve felt so guilty if anything happened to her. She didn't get sick or anything. I guess she just has a stomach of steel.
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:54 PM

How long would you cook this for & what temprature? Could smaller batches be done in a convention oven? (Too hot to use the oven inside haha)
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:38 PM

I used sliced beef liver in my Excalibur dehydrator. Beef liver is really cheap, at least around here. I don't marinade with anything, and it usually takes 36 hrs to dehydrate fully (outside on a humid day). I keep the resulting jerky in a ziploc in the fridge, and my 18lb Jack loves it! Also, you don't need to use very big pieces, so it'll last a heck of a long time. If you're going to use your oven to dehydrate, use the same process as beef jerky, which can be found online.

If you're not going to marinade, I would recommend keeping the jerky in the fridge, because you're not curing the meat, as would happen with people jerky.