Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 23rd, 2014, 07:41 PM

Puppy Help

Hello! My family adopted a Border Collie puppy a few months ago, he is 5 months old right now and he really is sweet. In the beginning we had problems with him nipping ankles but he doesn't do that anymore. We only have one or two pretty bad problems and we could really use help.

Our puppy bites and sometimes it doesn't really seem that playful. We have tried a muzzle, ignoring him, using a spray bottle, saying no, even lightly tapping him, and he just keeps biting. I have tried doing some sort of correctional training where you put your hand near him and if he bites it you walk away, but if he doesn't you give him a treat, and it doesn't seem to be helping. It is really getting pretty serious and he has even brought blood. Could this be result of not enough exercise or is it that he thinks he is dominant or what?

Another problem that we have is that he is a little dominant over things such as his food, people food that drops on the floor, things hanging off chairs, and objects that he's taken, such as shoes that were left on the floor accidentally. I have tried to just take it away and show that I have control but he just does not let go and it turns into a tug of war involving him growling at me and eventually letting go of the item all together and just snapping at me. His food is no different.

I appreciate any help that you can offer and I'm really hoping that there is a way to fix these behavioral issues. Thank you so much!