Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 26th, 2011, 07:02 PM

Catapult dog - what is this?

I have two questions for the board today, so I figured it'd be best to keep them separate, as this one isn't really behavioral I don't think.

Molly has developed a weird sleep thing that she's had a fairly long while but is increasing lately. She is an older dog, 14.5, and during the night she does move around a bit more, getting off her pillow, walking around a bit, and then returning. I chalk this up to her getting older.

The odd thing that is concerning, and to be honest, startles the hell out of me, is when she's sleeping (mostly during the day) and will suddenly jump off her pillow like something bit or pinched her. Most times she just looks a little confused and walks around a bit, and returns to lay down, but there are times when she practically catapults off her pillow, goes all out, wipes out in the middle of the floor (I have laminate so she loses her footing when she does this) and really looks startled. She doesn't yelp or do anything like that, and doesn't appear to have been in pain. She doesn't limp or anything after.

Her bedding is washed regularly and she's always had flea meds etc. She was even dewormed three months back as a general precaution (I was starting chemo and the vet recommended this as part of a general check-up to keep her healthy as possible, not because she had worms per se)

Has anyone else ever seen this with a dog?
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:53 AM
-

Hoo-Haw Health ;P

Yup, my grrrrl Ceili does that whenever her hoo-haw is acting up <feel free to quote me here ;Psmartly >. She jumps, hip dysplasia and all, as if some critter has just nipped her in the wah-hoo and ain't letting go.

That's my polite way of saying I responded to your earlier query and am wondering about your dog's vaginal health. A yeast infection or a low-grade UTI may be bothering her and it may have gone undetected by you/ the Vet as under the radar symptomatically until now.

I won't bore you with our many Vet and drug tales. but here is what I've found useful: if you can, check the Ph of her urine. A complete blood and chem panel is good of course but I'm betting on age. Your Vet may suggest some changes to her diet and possibly estrogen.

I found with Ceili I have to give her a consistent food ~ any consistent GOOD food (sadly, except RAW/cooked) ~ and then add/minus supplemements. I've found "cranberry plus" extracts and pure yoghurt for her vaginal health. I also wash her daily with a proprietary soap and keep her very well-trimmed (the less hair the less collection of bacteria).
Old February 27th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Has the heart been checked? I had an old sheppard that did something along this line and found out (when it was too late) that they were mini strokes.

I am not a vet (no where near) but it is something you may want to look into.