Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 9th, 2013, 08:53 AM

Cat Aggression

We have rescued/tamed three feral kittens who are now three years old. We keep them indoors. All three are spayed/neutered. One of the male cats has a strong prey drive and a lot of energy. He has been chasing our other male cat and fighting him. The target cat is very scared and is not aggressive. It doesn't happen a lot, but when it does, it is disconcerting. There is no blood drawn nor fur flying, but it seems unpleasant with growling. Do I have to separate them? Is the aggressor just bored and needs more play time? We live on a busy road so not comfortable with letting the bored hunter outside. Would rescue remedy work perhaps? Do I simply need to play with them more to wear them out?
Old December 9th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Welcome to the forum!

Seems to me like you already know some of the answers.

I would try rescue remedy or Feliway as they help some cats.

The aggressor does seem like extra play would help release the energy.

Since it doesn't 'happen a lot' I'm taking a guess....once a month? If so, and the other cat is not harmed, it doesn't seem like the biggest deal to me. Cats figure out their 'place' in this way even though we humans think it's unfair.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 9th, 2013, 12:11 PM

Cat Aaggression

Thank you! I appreciate the quick reply. I did give Rescue Remedy to the aggressor cat and played with a whirlybird bird until he was panting. then a little while later, he started chasing the meek one. The target's eyes get big and he looks terrified. He is very docile. I closed the blind that looks out onto bird feeder and we won't be filling the one by the window anymore. I guess maybe I worry too much but I hate to see one cat being bullied. I have separated them to give him a break from the chasing. What if I sprayed pheromones on the cats? would that perhaps help?
Old December 9th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

A trick you can try is to give the rough cat a toy he can wrestle with. A teddy bear about the same size as him. You play with it, with him, making pushy moves on him to get him to attack it. Some cats just seem to really need to wrap their front legs around something, dig into it with their back feet, bite it and pseudo kill it, fight it, wrestle it. A toy might direct him away from the other cat. Might. I bet the other cat runs and that triggers your feisty one to up his actions. This worked for us. We could just bring the toy out of hiding and our Tommy would attack it and then he'd be happy.

I think it is key that you keep this toy hidden most of the time and that you play with it at first, and periodically, to instill and keep the interest in it.

Good luck.
Old December 9th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

I might try rubbing catnip on the weaker cat to see if the stronger cat might approach in a gentler fashion. Use good judgement by supervising of course but this has worked for me in the past.

Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter