Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 9th, 2003, 01:09 PM

Can anyone tell me what is going on with my cat? Has anyone experienced the same?

I have a 7 month old female cat who was healthy as could be when I got her at 8 weeks. She has had all her shots , the first one was a bit much for her and she shook all day .
For the past month she has displayed what the vet calls upper respiratory problems. I got some amoxicilin to give her, which I did. It didn't work. I called the vet back and he gave me chlor palmitate suspension, which worked for the duration of that antibiotic. A few days after we were done, her respiratory problem came back.
I am getting desperate! I can't afford to keep going to the vet, I don't know why she is sounding this way again, I can't seem to match her symptoms with anything on the computer , plus our other cat ( who's 3) has not gotten sick.
The kitty's breathing sounds rough and when she licks herself it sounds wet, but other than that she is playing, eating , coat is shiny, eyes are ok, poops well..
Does anyone have experience with this and do you know what I can do , either with medication or herbs to help her?
Old May 21st, 2003, 03:41 PM

I was hoping to see some replies but there isnt any. I also am hoing that you are still reading teh board since this is a month old. this sound similar to what my cat is doing. It will only be a week tomorrow since I have taken her inand she is on meds. If you are reading please post to what you have found out. i will be taking my cat to vet again as soon as this med is finished. So far not helping wiht "catcold" Im almost thinking allergy because she seems healthy other wise.
Old May 21st, 2003, 03:59 PM

Meg, this is VERY important , please read

It took 3 rounds of antibiotics and checks by the vet when each one was nearly finished before Rue was finally better.
What she had was an upper respiratory infection, something that takes quite a while to heal and something that takes a while before you have the right antibiotic.
After she was finally able to do without more antibiotic ( please remember always to finish the antibiotic that was given, I am astounded that some people stop when they or their pet feels or sounds better) she had diarhea for a while , due to the effect of the antibiotics on her system. Giving her a bit of pepto bismal took care of that.

Also, while she was still sick, I gave her wet food mixed with hot water so that she could smell it a bit. I found that to be the only way she'd eat , plus it gave her much needed fluids.

Finally, I was told that if Rue is ever in great stress, her respiratory infection can return as it will lie dormant in a cat's body instead of leaving the system.
If she gets it again, she will just have to go back on antibiotics.

Good luck with your kitty, rest assured that this type of infection takes a long time to heal. Stay in touch with your vet, get your kitty checked just before the antibiotic is finished ( don't let her go off antibiotics without a vet exam !) and be patient.
This too shall pass!
Old May 21st, 2003, 04:10 PM

Thankyou for you for your quick reply
I was eating my dinner and had planned on coming back here to read more of the posts.
I wasnt thinking ,your right I wont let the med run out before I take her back.
As for eating she is eating fine . Infact I think she is a very good eater compared to my 8 month old kitten.
The vet guessed she was around a year old or abit more.
I am feeding them canned food suggested by the vet with some dry at night to help with tartar control. And ofcourse the odd cat treat .
Its been along time since I have had a cat. I had one about ten years ago while my children were toddlers but it got hit by a car. And the one before that was when I was ten my sister got married so I got a kitten to replace her :O). I had Tiger for 13 years.
When I got maried up til now 18 years later we have always had dogs, til now that is.