Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old November 18th, 2009, 10:34 PM

Its almost like he has trouble...

I did not see this in the FAQ so I thought I would give it a shot.

I have a male cat that is about 3 years old. He was neutered before we brought him home from the shelter so that is nothing new. Over the past few weeks he when he is laying on clothes that are in piles getting ready to wash or sometimes on the bed he will urinate. This is usually a large amount, almost like he waited to long to go to the bathroom, or a little, like he had to go a little in order to make it to the litter box. Sometimes he gets up right away but then there are times that he just sits there like he does not realize that he urinated. But most of the time he uses the litterbox with no problem. Just the once or twice over a series of a couple weeks that he has done this. And then when he knows that we saw he goes into the guest room and "hides" where he likes to go when he gets in trouble.

I have already spoken with the vet and he is not to overly concerned with an infection. But we are not too convinced that this is the case. Can you think about anything that could be causing this?
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:46 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I would be concerned that he "just sits in it like he doesn't realize he's gone". Have you taken him to the vet or just spoken to the vet on the phone? Sounds to me that your boy is suffering.
You say he is using the box. Are you sure he is actually going when he is in the box or is he just going in and "trying" to go? That is a sign of crystals or a blockage. Or at least a partial blockage. Not something to fool around with.
What do you feed him? If he is on dry food it would be a great idea to try switching him to wet. Cats, especially male cats, have a lot of issues with crystals because they don't drink enough water. That is why they need their water with their food. Not after it as they would have with dry.
This is a great site to check out. You will be very surprised at the info in it.
www.catinfo.org
My best advice is to get kitty to your vet. If the vet is still "not overly concerned" with an infection then it's time to find a vet who is. JMO

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:35 AM
-

^^^^

I agree with everything 14+kitties said.

I hope you get some answers with a different vet ...good luck and please keep us updated.