Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 21st, 2012, 11:30 AM

Allergy testing questions

I am considering allergy testing for Roxy who has been diagnosed with atopic dermatitis. She is doing pretty well right now on a raw diet with limited ingredients. I am hoping allergy testing might help with environmental causes, and maybe clear up my questioning a few different proteins.

I know the Dodd's saliva test only does food, so that's probably not the best choice for Roxy. There is also the Spot blood test from Spectrum Labs which tests all sorts of stuff. Any other ones to consider?

Another thing, I've been wondering...how can we do saliva or blood testing for allergies for dogs when neither of these options are used for human allergy testing? If the saliva or blood tests actually work, why wouldn't they do that with people?
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old December 21st, 2012, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know if it's the same case for dogs, but allergy blood testing for cats is notoriously inaccurate and a big waste of $$. Skin testing (where the skin is pricked with various potentially allergenic substances) is much better.

....Just found a link that says blood testing isn't so great for dogs either: http://aadconline.com/skinTesting.htm

Quote:
Skin Testing

At the present time, the only reliable way to diagnose environmental allergies (pollen, dust, etc.) in dogs and cats is through intradermal allergy testing, commonly called skin testing. Although allergy blood tests for dogs and cats are commercially available, they are controversial due to their inaccurate results.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 21st, 2012, 01:53 PM

Yes, the blood (and saliva) testing for dogs and cats is highly debatable. Some vets put a lot of faith into it, others scoff at it. I have two vets, one in each bin...of course! You can do Google searching and find information that says the blood testing is inaccurate, but you can also find information that is very helpful. I don't know what to think, but for $500 my doggie just might be happier and that would be worth it.

The skin testing is what is used for people. It seems like torture to do that to a dog though since you couldn't tell them WHY we are scratching up and poking their skin. It is not a comfortable test.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old December 21st, 2012, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I have had the blood allergy testing done on me and it was spot on at finding the stuff that doesn't give an immediate reaction, but the stuff which caues long term issues (headaches, not feeling right, etc.).

I have found the blood testing by VARL and Spectrum to be the only way to get my dogs straightened out, being surprised by results, and seeing improvement when they were aaddressed. These folks that downplay the results of these tests clearly have never really used them properly. I think the spectrum is most comprehensive, it was my choice for the last two dogs I tested.

You still have to challenge, since sensitivities are different than allergies, BUT, the information of where to start and what to avoid is really helpful.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 01:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
It seems like torture to do that to a dog though since you couldn't tell them WHY we are scratching up and poking their skin. It is not a comfortable test.
They're typically sedated.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler