Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 8th, 2014, 05:29 PM

My 15 year old has lost so much weight

I need some advice, my 15 year old Yorkshire Terrier has lost so much weight in the last couple of months, going from 7lbs to about 3.5-4lbs, he's very disorientated and wobbly on his feet, has lost his sight and going deaf, he also urinates a lot and cannot hold himself. I know he's old and some of this is to be expected but I guess I'm asking if anyone else has been in this situation and whether you have decided to put them to sleep. Its such a huge decision to make especially as I have another YT but want to know if this is fair to keep him alive. I was also told about a year ago by a vet that he has heart problems (irregular heart beat)but is not on any medication for this. Need some advice.
Old August 8th, 2014, 05:30 PM

Please reply
Old August 8th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry you've reached the stage where you have to consider the end of life. Some things that have helped me is whether there is quality to the life. Is there pain? I've learned that pets often seem better when their person is with them than when they are alone. So if you go out to work all day and your pet is left alone is it a barren or painful existence? Another thought that seems right to me is, better a day too soon than a day too late. I have it within my power to make sure my pet lives the best life possible and I can prevent the end days or months being filled with pain or anxiety or bewilderment. Only you can make this decision. I'm sorry you are at this point.
Old August 8th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

I'm so sorry you are going through this simoned. It's the most painful part of being a pet owner.

We have a really good article imo on when the right time to consider euthanasia is and I encourage you to read it even though it may be difficult. I wish you strength and courage in this most difficult of times.
http://www.pets.ca/dogs/tips/euthana...e-pet-tip-228/

Sincerely,
Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 8th, 2014, 10:58 PM

I'm so sorry you are going through this. Your vet should be able to guide and advise you with this decision. I wish our pets lived as long as we do but unfortunately that's not the case.
Old August 10th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I am very sorry that you and your little buddy have come to this point. It's so difficult. I do like to have a blood test to make sure that none of these things are caused by something like an infection, but, at 15, it could just very well be that everything is just wearing out.

This is a time when us pet owners have such sadness in our hearts, to see them aged and have this responsibility before us, trying to balance that against our responsibility to do what is fair to them. Wishing you strength through this.