Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old March 25th, 2007, 08:44 PM

How do I get them to eat turkey??

I switched to raw feeding 3 weeks ago and everything is great. Coat looks tremendous on both of my dogs, energy is through the roof and poop is so small and firm.
I am feeding them whole chicken, pork, offal from different animals, fish, eggs, and they have no problem whatsoever. They get a bit of veggies every now and then.
Now the only problem I have is feeding them turkey, it seems like the bone is too thick and they don't chew them enough, they get runny poo whenever I try to feed them turkey.
I wouldn't mind not giving them turkey but I have a about 45 pounds of it in the freezer since I had bought it when I wanted to start feeding them RAW.
I even bought a cheap meat grinder and the grinder's blade broke in half when I attempted using it for the first time.
remember my dogs are 2 boxers, so I believe it is not an issue with jaw power or anything like that

"Ever consider what they must think of us I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul- chicken, pork, half cow. They must think were the greatest hunters on earth
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Honest Contributor

yeah those turkey bones are tough, my dogs only eat the neck, ribcage & back, they don't touch the wing or leg bones. So i carve the meat & skin off those parts (for the dogs) and use those big bones to make soup stock (for us!)

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:51 PM

neck, ribcage & back are the only thing not present in my 45 pounds turkey box
So I guess Im gonna have to start cutting the meat off the bone
Thanks

"Ever consider what they must think of us I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul- chicken, pork, half cow. They must think were the greatest hunters on earth
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Honest Contributor

some dogs love to eat the thick turkey bones and have no problems digesting them... not my two unfortunately. guess it's the luck of the draw You'll get GREAT soup stock though, LOL!

Old March 26th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

You could try going slower with the Turkey. Add a bit of meat to some Chicken. Slowly add more, working your way up. If the stools go south, cut back to where they're ok for a bit. Then try increasing again.

I must say I've pretty fortunate that Rosco will eat anything. I've bought a few turkeys, & cut em up into 2-3lb chunks. Rosco does the rest. This weekend I scored 3, 5lb ducks for him. Cut em in half. He loved em. I also got 5lbs of duck feet.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old March 26th, 2007, 08:30 AM

I think I'll ty both of your ideas...
I will remove the bone first and slowly introduce the meat only.
After a couple of days I'll try adding the smaller bones.
I don't even want them to eat turkey only, I'll mix it with any other meat I just want to get rid of all that turkey I have in the freezer

Thanks to both of you and might I add that switching to RAW was a lot easier then I expected and it's a lot because of you guys and all the info you share on the forum

Old March 26th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Glad to help. I know it can be VERY overwhelming to a newbie. I was one & still remember it. I have several mentors that have helped me when I started. And I'm amazed at how easy it is now. How simple it can be if you let it be.

I find it very gratifying to watch him gnaw away at something, crunching up bones and such. Then seeing the results with those pearly white teeth. Its a great feeling

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

Old March 26th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Honest Contributor

While Scott is feeding raw in its ultimate form (and YAY! for that! ) I am having a harder time with my picky dogs. Although they are both offered raw meaty bones every day, my girl refuses to touch them. she hasn't gnawed on raw bones in at least 2 months. She'll starve before she touches them. And my boy, who has weak teeth, loves to go for it but is chipping and cracking his teeth at an alarming rate, even with soft chicken bones, pork ribs, turkey frames. You could say i am cursed

now you know why i grind most of their food. and despite this, they both have fantastic white teeth and pink gums. go figure

Old March 26th, 2007, 12:06 PM

But that comes back to poor kibbles and the sugars that are in it. Its that stuff that causes teeth problems. The better kibbles arent as much a problem, but even feeding ground raw, is better then no raw. Its so much healthier for teeth & gums.

Old March 26th, 2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I find it very gratifying to watch him gnaw away at something, crunching up bones and such. Then seeing the results with those pearly white teeth. Its a great feeling
I know what you mean Scott. I have the same feeling every time I feed Barkley. I always just sit back and watch him barrel his way through a big piece of meat and bone. Even though I still consider myself a newbie to rawfeeding (it's been almost 8 months now), I can never imagine feeding any other way now. Now when I see this horrible pet food recall going on, I'm all the more relieved that I know EXACTLY what is going into his furry little body.

Quote:
And I'm amazed at how easy it is now. How simple it can be if you let it be.
It's funny how sometimes even if you are doing everything right, your dog still experiences some runny poops or gasey bums, but then one day it all comes together and works like a well-oiled machine. Maybe sometimes all that is needed is a little time. Despite Barkley initially having problems digesting anything other than chicken, he now eats beef, pork, chicken, turkey, lamb, liver, kidneys etc. no problem...even fish! His poops are perfect and his stomach seems iron cast. I don't even have to cut the meat into smaller pieces for him. He is more than happy to do all the work himself. He even plows through big things like turkey drumsticks like nobody's business. It's funny how the longer we feed raw, the simpler it seems to get