Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 21st, 2005, 07:08 AM

Question adopting Yorkie and need some advice

I just found this site, and am interested in finding out some info on Yorkies. We lost our Bassett Vendeen last Dec. to old age (16) woke up one morning and found him, then in Aug. lost a cocker spaniel to breast cancer (12) we both decided then ,that was it for us as it was so hard to lose them after having them all their lives. Well guess what, we can't stand the silence in the house. Yes, we have two lovebirds but they don't run to greet us at the door and they refuse to cuddle with us on the couch. We are currently in the process of adopting a 5 yr. old Yorkie from a rescue. Seems this guy has already been in 4 homes and has some aggression issues. Can you blame him. We have no other dogs and can give him the attention he needs. I guess I need advice on getting the dear little guy to trust us. He is aggressive to other dogs, men, and sneakers. Guess I could guess why men and sneakers. I want to make my home his forever home, no matter what it takes so any advice would be welcome
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

I would suggest letting him get comfortable before anything else. Let him come to you he will it may take time but be patient. I find that I always talk to my rescues even just mindless crap is fine it is the sound of your voice. It is reassuring and will be comforting to him. Don't let him get away with any bad behaviour but you do not want to scare him. It is really time and love that is the greatest healer for these guys. For you it is patience, don't get discouraged it will all be worth it and we are always here for moral support or any questions. Here is a good tip if you feel like yelling at him don't go outside and yell, stamp your feet and then go back in a you will be calmer. As you watch him see what it is that sets off his aggression. This will be helpful for you to avoid these situations. Also once he feels safe and not in harms way this aggression may become less and less on its own but always be watching. Good luck By the way welcome to the pet.ca board
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 21st, 2005, 12:00 PM

yorkie adoption

Thankyou for taking the time to give your much welcome advice. I am dedicated to giving this doll a forever home. I figured I would be spending a lot of time sitting on the floor the next couple of weeks, hoping if I go to his leval he will learn to trust me. I have seen pictures of him but will have my first visit with him tomorrow. Don't plan to approach him but can't wait to meet him. I am going shopping tomorrow to get his crate, blanket, toys and the proper food once i find out what he is being fed. Can't imagine him going through too much food as is only 6 lbs. Am calling around today to see if vet in area has experience with Yorkies, will also be looking for a groomer. My husband says it's like we're having another baby. If I have my way that's what he'll be. I do understand the need for firm correction and the foster mom says she uses a spray bottle which seems to be working, guess that's another thing for my list Again thanks for advice
Old January 21st, 2005, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for taking this little one in. Sounds like he's had a rough time of it. It's really rough to lose a pet and I understand why so many say no more. But, it's really a tribute to the ones you lost that you find you need another pet in your life. I can't imagine life without them.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 03:26 PM

I'm in love

I posted here yesterday that I was trying to adopt a yorkie, well I met him today and it was love at first site for me. I saw him come up the driveway and what an adorable tiny dog. He is smaller than my husbands boot. Now I'm in the predictiment that if I can't have him for whatever reason I'll be heartbroken. I had to fill out a nine page application but would do twenty pages if that's what it takes to make sure these dogs go to good homes. Wish me luck!!!!!
Old January 22nd, 2005, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Crossing my paws for you!!!
Old January 22nd, 2005, 04:25 PM

Smile yorkie

I have 2 yorkies & 1 beloved deceased yorkie--they are the best. Not without behavior problems but so lovable. Enjoy your new pet
Old January 22nd, 2005, 04:26 PM

http://www.pets.ca/forum/newreply.ph...ote=1&p=88379#