Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old August 9th, 2013, 09:56 PM

dog walks???

OK here a question for everyone. when at a new dog park/walk do you ever notice how different it is from the one you usually go to?
Reason i ask is today i took the dogs with me when i went to another town as i had to pick up a few things. so googled the dog park/walk area so i could let all 3 dogs lose. well the dog park area i usually go to people will stop and say hi and even pet the dogs.. But this park nope its kind of like it was more for people walking that could let their dogs lose but aren't really wanting to let their dogs play.

Ya ok the guys got to meet a few new dogs but couldn't play really with other dogs. Was really hoping that they would be able to play other dogs instead of the same old dogs. Maybe its just the town or well park area.. but if its going to be like this for most parks i don't really want to take my dog or her buddies with me if i travel if there is no good dog parks.
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I would be careful letting your dogs run lose at the a new park , they will not know dogs there and you really not are familiar with the layout of the park. My dog was bitten at the park we always go to, there was new dog there from out of town. I think it would best to keep your dogs on their leashes and let them get use the all the new sounds and smell and you can see if it's safe to let your dogs run lose . I wish the woman that own the dog that attacked my dog had taken the time to know her dog better before being it to a new park.
Old August 9th, 2013, 10:58 PM

i would have had them on a leash but all were more focused on the water..The only one i was really watching was my dog Nyx as she can be a bit skittish at times. Kobe is a dog that would be one getting bitten he is super submissive, and well keeva avoids other dogs she more a people dog then a dog dog... but i will make sure to keep them on a leash for the next park area. I also had a 2 friends with me n also had the dogs leash with me so if need be i could leash them.
I never really thought about another dog really attacking them as i figure your in an off leash area that the dogs would be dog friendly.

My dog was attack twice at the age of 6 months by a dog that would come down to the regular dog park . it wouldnt have been so bad but the owners ddn't even try n stop there dog or anything. luckly now the dog and owner don't come down anymore.
Old August 10th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Senior Contributor

If it's an off leash dog park your dogs should be off leash. Leashes impede body language and it's a recipe for misread signals to have yours leashed if the others are not. Misread and misgiven.

Myself, I am wary of dogs in a preformed pack. And sorry, but if one was a Rottie and I did not know dog or owner I'd be keeping a wide berth with my single dog. I know I'm judging by breed, but also by owner. I don't know if that new person is a knowledgeable owner or not, I act in favour of my own dog, not the other dog. You may have been encountering people of like mind.
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:34 AM

To me, it's similar to driving a car. You could be a great driver, responsible, experienced, minding the laws and signs etc... but you can't vouch for other people doing so. That's why I would be very careful when visiting a new park. You don't know what kind of people with what kind of dogs go there.
Old August 21st, 2013, 09:05 AM
Senior Contributor

I took Marty to another park yesterday instead of the duck pond we always go to and there was a guy walking a German Shepherd. I took one look at the owner and immediately moved off the path , the guy was huge and very angry looking and I did not know if the GS was trained to be aggressive or not and I was not about to find out . I tried to check the owner and see what they're like before letting our dogs meets but , it did not help as my dog got attacked . I know if I meet a person with a new recuse dog again I am not going near the dog . The owner has not know their dog long enough to be bringing it to a dog park where there are kids and other dogs.
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:07 PM

If i out walking on a leash with my girls i move out of the way, no matter the size. as both my girls are young n try and play with other dogs. I know the little dogs in my area aren't always the friendliest. So i move my girls just in case as even if the other dogs attack my girls would do alot more damage then the little dogs
Old August 21st, 2013, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottysrule View Post
If i out walking on a leash with my girls i move out of the way, no matter the size. as both my girls are young n try and play with other dogs. I know the little dogs in my area aren't always the friendliest. So i move my girls just in case as even if the other dogs attack my girls would do alot more damage then the little dogs
And that is just what I did!