Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old November 16th, 2014, 01:35 PM

New here- needs help -URGENT please

Hello,
I am new here, and have a problem with vet and a dog...

I have a 13 year old dog that has bad gums and teeth, but she is healthy , happy and has no signs of pain at all. She will be 14 in 4 months and we love her a lot. I took her to the vet, it is a new vet as we moved to new place, and the vet wants to do surgery on her teeth and take them out. I don't feel comfortable doing that as she is old and looks and feels great as it is now , and doing this surgery will have its complications, pain and problems after. I want her to live her life happily and healthy as much as can be , in the few years she has left to live due to her age , and it looks to me that living as she is now is the best way for her. She eats normally and very alert, happy and alive as a young dog.
The vet threatened me that if I don't do the surgery or put her to sleep she will call the spca and "they will know what do with you" her exact words.
My question is what can I do if this happen, will I be able to refuse to do that ,can they force me to do the surgery, can they take my dog away, any information would be greatly appreciated.Thank you
Old November 16th, 2014, 02:46 PM

Go to another vet and get a second opinion?
Old November 16th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Where is the dog now?

Believe it or not we had a similar situation with my very old Aunt. My human Aunt. A new doctor wanted to do extensive dental surgery on her horrible teeth but we refused to permit it. Bad teeth can contribute to health problems but so can dental surgery on someone unwilling or unable to do the post surgery care. Not to mention anaesthetic on an unwilling patient.

I find it very hard to believe a Vet can remove your dog for that reason since her life is not in immediate danger. It's the height of contradiction, intimidation as well to say she needs to be PTS. My gosh, it's hard enough here to get the SPCA to intervene when basics of life are not met and the dog is in immediate danger.

Yes, I think you need to see a different Vet. I'd report that Vet for threatening you. Maybe your dog would benefit from dental surgery but I sure as heck would not let the Vet who threatened PTS do it.
Old November 16th, 2014, 03:22 PM

Unhappy Thank you,the dog is with me

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. The dog is with me. I don't know if she called or not, she threatened me 2 days ago and I am in constant scare that someone will knock on my door from the spca.
I had dogs all my life since day 1 and love them more than myself, and to hear something like this is horrifying for me.
I love this dog so much and I am scared to death to do the dental surgery with all its complications. and there are complications in this age.
I just say , she is so happy and healthy and lively and there is nothing wrong with her, so why torture her now with this procedure in her age? It is not that she is 2 year old and this might be a good idea to do, she is almost 14 and in her age I believe it is better to leave her as it is, happy and pain free, than put her through all of this and who knows what will be the consequences...I am so sad. I wish I had not go to this monster vet. I am from Canada. I don't know if this makes any difference. I just don't know what to do now. How to prevent it from happening , and what if they order to do the surgery???
Old November 16th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I do think you should see another Vet. Without seeing your dog or her teeth and not being a Vet none of us can say whether you should go ahead with the dental work. Veterinary is much advanced these days and it might be to your dog's benefit but you should be given a full risk assessment of whatever treatment is deemed necessary.

13 is not that old for some dogs. I had one, and so did my sister, who lived to 16 and a half. Personally I would not let my dog get far without attending to bad teeth or gums though I admit I refused a pulling myself of a dead tooth. I mean in my dog.

I suggest you thoroughly document everything this Vet said to you. Write it down, date it. Two days ago was Friday and the SPCA haven't come knocking at your door yet. Even if they do, how urgent is it if they waited? I doubt they will come at all but I don't know for sure. Good luck hope it works out well for you and your dog.
Old November 16th, 2014, 04:02 PM

In animal medicine we like to say, "Age is NOT a disease." Complications from anesthesia are a risk that will be present in every surgery that takes place, whether the animal is 2 or 12. The anesthesia protocols don't change. The choice of sedative may be altered, but the surgery can still happen. I have monitored animals of all ages under general anesthesia(GA) so it is easy enough for me to say that if it were my dog I would have no problem doing surgery, especially if the teeth are as bad as it sounds like they are. As someone, like yourself, who is apprehensive about having an elderly pet under GA for dental work, there are alternatives. The big issue, besides the discomfort that poor oral health can cause a dog, is the bacteria load in the mouth spreading throughout the body. This can be addressed with what is called 'pulse' antibiotics. You can also look into an OTC vet product called Chlorhexidine rinse (DentaChlor is the name of one that is low cost), this is an antibacterial rinse that can be used daily (consult with your veterinarian as to how often you should use it).

Final point, you should look into going to another veterinarian. I know if it were me I would not feel comfortable taking my pet into this vet anymore. As seniors, our animal companions need regular checkups and monitoring as to catch any changes before they become problems. You need to have a veterinarian that you can go to and not worry about them shouting "Animal cruelty!" at you. Rather they should help you find a solution that is right for your pet, and also for you.

I wish you luck
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old November 16th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I would have someone call the spca and find out if what the vet said is true then I would look up the vet name on line and find if she had any bad reviews posted about her . If she has bad reviews and was threaten you I would report her to the veterinary license board. I just had a wisdom tooth pulled on Monday and I am still hurting and I was told watch out for an infection . That with just one tooth , having all your dog teeth pulled is just pain cruelty And you will have to keep an eye her to made sure he does not get into anything that could cause infection. If I were you find another vet and try do a little research online first or ask around for a good vet. That vet sound like bitch and should have all her teeth pulled.
Old November 16th, 2014, 06:03 PM

I would absolutely look for another vet, and right away, so you can get a second opinion about your dogs teeth. You definitely don't need a vet with an attitude. You think your dog isn't in pain because he acts fine, but he could be hiding it. You need another vets input to see which is the better way to go.
Old November 18th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Age shouldn't deter dental care. My Den-Den is 2 months shy of 17. He just had his teeth cleaned. The biggest concern is the anesthesia. An older dog should have blood tests prior to the procedure to detect any health issues that should be taken into consideration. Vets now use a lighter anesthesia on senior dogs. My Corky is 13. He's lost several teeth and has no problems eating, etc. Infection from bad teeth and gums can seriously affect other organs and is very dangerous. Please get another vet's opinion for your dog's sake and for your own peace of mind. And if the SPCA comes calling you can tell them you're pursuing it with another vet and taking care of your dog.
Old November 19th, 2014, 12:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Our Cass is going to be 13 at the end of the month and she had a couple of teeth removed last month during her dental cleaning. She made it through fine and healed up pretty quickly--she even enjoyed the couple of weeks of recovery because she got some yummy wet food (usually she gets kibble). They sent her home with pain meds so she wasn't uncomfortable and after the grogginess of the first day wore off, she was back to playing with the other dogs.

glasslass is right--the risks from the bad teeth and gums usually outweigh the risks of the procedure. A senior blood panel before the surgery is also a good idea to check for hidden problems.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 19th, 2014, 01:50 PM

I agree with getting a second opinion if you question your vet's diagnosis. However, having said that, I feel you need to realize that animals are very adept at hiding their pain. It is their survival instinct to hide any defect especially injury or pain. If your dogs gums are inflamed and teeth are rotten, trust me, it's excruciating for them. I'm sure you don't want your beloved pups golden years to be painful. I have an eight year old rescued Papillon that was used in a puppymill. She was very low on the scale of body condition from overbreeding and lack of any vet care. We had to have all her teeth removed and within 24 hrs of her surgery she was full of energy and ready for anything to eat! I know your dog is a senior however senior dogs can tolerate surgery quite fine. My 11.5 large breed dog who was considered a senior tolerated a surgery very well. We had him for a further 5 months post surgery. Please do get a second or even third opinion but do seriously consider the pain your dog is in.