Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 10th, 2014, 10:29 AM

Driving miss Porscha

Hoping for some more help. Her feeding problem is solved now to our next dilemma.
When we go for a drive Porscha gets pretty whiny and pants and it at complete unrest. Our first ride home with her my husband held her and she was antsy the whole time. Then we put her in her travel kennel (bag) and even worse. The travel bag is small. Just enough room to fit her. I put her in the front seatbelt beside me and will pet her when she stops whining for a moment as I don't want to show encouragement for the stressed behaviour. I don't make going for a car ride a big deal. We just go. Her first ride was to the vet. Her second ride I took her to the pet store as her third ride will be back to the vet
Anyway any suggestions please! I want her to come on road trips with us this summer camping. Maybe her travel crate is the issue because she can't see anything? Or she is motion sick? I don't know

Cheers!
Old February 10th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

A friend of mine bought a seat belt leash. It clips from the collar into the seat belt and contains the dog in one area. She likes it, it is not however a seat belt. Does she like a crate or use one in the house?
Old February 10th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Just thinking aloud here but I might try to desensitize her to the car rides. Maybe just try a few 5 minute rides and give the dooger a nice reward after it is over. This might change the whining behaviour. If every car ride gets Porscha treats, she may start to like them.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 10th, 2014, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Does your dog have a 'Home Again' microchip , it would be a good idea to have if you are planning on going on camping trips with her.
You could try to made a game out going for ride , make it sound very exciting and try to find a dog friendly park to bring Porscha to. She may like riding the car if she think she going someplace fun .
Old February 10th, 2014, 11:45 AM

It might also help if she gets in the car on her own as opposed to being placed in. Maybe practice with treats having her get in and out of the car. Once she's okay with that try just staying in the car (not going anywhere yet) again with treats and praise. Then short trips?
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

She is a small dog and might not be able to jump into the car. Marty is small too and he will need help sometime getting into the car.
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:58 PM

She will love the treats!
Her crate at home is larger than the travel one. She is great at home with her crate. I only put her in it at night and when we step out to run errands. At night she walks in at around 10pm and I open back up when I wake up around 8am. She saunters out stretches I go make coffee she follows me wagging tail then when she sits all calm I give her good morning snuggles!
So this morning when I took her to the vet for a serious teeth cleaning and one extraction I walked to my car open the passenger door put the carrier on the seat and she jumped in the car at the floor. I motioned her out and to sit and wait which she did very well. I put a treat in the carrier lifted her in and she went in no problem. Then I got in the car started it, no problem. Then I put the car in reverse and then she whined all the way to the vet! I would like to give her some treats on our way back home later today but after care will probably not allow that.
Maybe next week we can do the short trips as suggested!?
I've seen those "booster seats" for small dogs that are clipped in but lifted and still look contained. I do need to keep her contained in something while driving as I'm kinda anal with keeping my new car a new car! Plus its safer for her!
Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep them coming!
Old February 10th, 2014, 01:02 PM

Oh and no she is not microchipped yet but we went through that with the vet and she will get it in a month when we will be getting her spayed! Another ride to the vet
Old February 10th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha View Post
She will love the treats!
Her crate at home is larger than the travel one. She is great at home with her crate. I only put her in it at night and when we step out to run errands. At night she walks in at around 10pm and I open back up when I wake up around 8am. She saunters out stretches I go make coffee she follows me wagging tail then when she sits all calm I give her good morning snuggles!
So this morning when I took her to the vet for a serious teeth cleaning and one extraction I walked to my car open the passenger door put the carrier on the seat and she jumped in the car at the floor. I motioned her out and to sit and wait which she did very well. I put a treat in the carrier lifted her in and she went in no problem. Then I got in the car started it, no problem. Then I put the car in reverse and then she whined all the way to the vet! I would like to give her some treats on our way back home later today but after care will probably not allow that.
Maybe next week we can do the short trips as suggested!?
I've seen those "booster seats" for small dogs that are clipped in but lifted and still look contained. I do need to keep her contained in something while driving as I'm kinda anal with keeping my new car a new car! Plus its safer for her!
Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep them coming!
I wonder if she think you're going to give her away when she go for a ride? How did you get her was it by a car ride ?
Old February 11th, 2014, 10:32 AM

Yes it was a car ride home. Maybe she is just so darn happy to be here she doesn't want us to ditch her too? LOL.
Hopefully continued efforts to give short drives and back home again she will get the idea!
Old February 11th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

When I first got my dog Marty he was getting in the shower with me. I was
rinsing my hair and when I was looked down there was my dog lying in the bathtub . Marty did this a few times until he realize I had not 'left' him. I think over time your dog will realize she at her forever home.
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:55 PM

That is too funny! So update... We got a little booster type seat carrier and it is somewhat a bit better. I definitely feel now we can help her with her nervousness. We go for short quick trips to school for example. It's great because it's short and she gets to see her human buddy!