Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 21st, 2004, 11:29 AM

Smile More kitten questions

Am I ever glad I found this site and this board...

Anyways...thanks again to all who have contributed to any/all of my questions, etc. You all have been a huge help!

I have another concern/question:

My new kitten who is named Wendel, is 8 wks old, and had his first vet exam. Poor little guy has an upper res. infection and a small infection in his eye. The meds they gave or working fine, and seems to be clearing up. He gets his 1st shot in 2 weeks.

My older kitten (4 months) Tucker (both are boys), is fascinated by his new playmate and friend. They get along fine. In fact both were curled up on my couch together the other day.

Here is my concern:

Tucker plays rough, he is 7 lbs, versus Wendel who is 1 lb. The vet said that give it 3 or 4 days (I got Wendel on Sunday) and they'll be best buddies, but don't leave them unsupervised. When I am at work I close a hall way door and they each have 1/2 of the house for themselves with food, water, litter box. When I am home, I let them roam around at will, as well as at night. I was locking Wendel up at night, but he is constant meowing was getting me zero sleep. They seem to be OK, but Tucker sometimes either nips, or tackles him hard. Wendel will cry out if he gets too rough, and doesn't seem to be an injury issue. Should I let them have the full roam of the house yet? If not, then how long should I wait?

Thanks again all!
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

There is no magic timeline. You have to wait until their behavior together is such that you no longer have any doubts. Supervise their play together. This is temporary and the little one is growing.
Old July 21st, 2004, 12:59 PM

Red face

I think I am sometimes over cautious with the little one.
Old July 21st, 2004, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

An 8wk kitten is just a baby. You have to be cautious. On the other hand, a 4mo kitten can't be trusted yet to be gentle with the little one all the time. You've got your hands full!
Old July 21st, 2004, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I know I said this numerous times when you asked, but an 8 week old kitten is too fragile and too small to be left alone with a 4 month old kitten.

I also said that the new kitten would be very lonely locked away, but there really is no answer for this until the kitten is older. Tucker could hurt him badly not meaning to.

This is why I suggested a kitten close to Tucker's age.