Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 27th, 2008, 11:10 AM

always panting

My dog Andy, who has just recovered from a bout of pancreatitis, always seems to be panting. I understand panting after a walk, or in very warm weather, but we are air conditioned, and he still pants. This is quite new, and I was wondering if has to do with the fact that he is really still recovering, or age, ( he is around 9 1/2) or something else. Any thoughts?
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Tamer of the Furgang

Panting can also be associated with pain at times, but I hope that's not the case with your dog. Does he get a special diet which is very low in fat content ? Does he have appetite ?

Greetings,

Sabine and the Furgang
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:39 PM

Sabine, yes he is on a home cooked low fat low protein diet, and has an EXTREMELY good appetite...but he doesn't get over fed.
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Could he be stressed about something?
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Well, he has had a hard time with being sick, and we've had alot of storms lately, which didn't used to bother him at all, until last year when a huge tree snapped off and crashed down on a car in front of our house - and that terrified him. He has been afraid of storms ever since. So, I suppose that he could just be in a state of constant low grade anxiety. Plus he hates to be left alone, and both my husband and I go to work. Of course that is not new, but maybe everything piled on to of everything else is a bit too much for him. I've spoken to my vet, and he said that it could be anxiety, or the amitryptiline (sp?) he is on, and that I should watch for any other symptoms. He doesn't have any right now, so I guess I'll just wait and see. I'm off for 5 days as of 3:30 this afternoon, so I will be able to spend lots more time with him, and I can see what he is like then.

My poor boy has been thru alot lately!
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Tamer of the Furgang

As long as he has appetite I wouldn't worry too much. Take his temperature and check his gums. Make sure he's well hydrated and if he is just plain hot, stand im on a cold towel or cool his paws. More effective than these so called "cool wraps", because dogs do perspire through the pads of their paws and that's were you can cool them off the easiest. Good luck and I hope he's okay.

Greetings,

Sabine and the Furgang