Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 21st, 2005, 02:42 AM

Kitty has minor bleeding from anus

Hello everyone, I am new here. I have a 9 month old kitty named Hunter and a few weeks ago got a second kitty we call Oreo, he's 10-12 weeks old. I have been on vacation for the last 8 days without my husband (long story) and returned last night. Today I discovered that my cat is cleaning his rear often and when he does he makes a kinda moaning/meow type noise. I took a peek and there is a small amout of bright red blood coming from his rear, its not much. I have a few theories...
1. something the kitten gave him as I am sure the kitten has worms, I gave them both a de-wormer tonight (its not from the medicine)
2. Pet illess (forgot name) caused by diet and stress
3. Not agreeing with food as we have tried new canned food
4. Hemorhoid if indeed cats get that.

I have noticed both cats using the litter box frequently. Hubby doesn't know anything since he doesnt like cats and merely tolerates them. The cat box was so nasty when I returned ( and I mean biohazard nasty) that I tossed it out and bough a really fancy new boodha box. The kitten has very smelly kinda runny poops too which his sister kitty has (lives with my mom) and the vet gave her a clean bill of health today. I don't know about Hunter's poops since he bury's them well, but last time I saw them they seemed firm. Could he just be constipated? I was planning to schedule vet visits for the end of next week, should I rush it?
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:19 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Yes, rush to the vets.

P.S. You need to be a little more involved in the care of the kitten or not have one. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Karin; May 21st, 2005 at 05:21 AM.
Old May 21st, 2005, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes,I agree,better safe than sorry...
It's never a good scenario when cats grow up with one person not liking cats..can also cause stress and other problems for them..cats and dogs sense things,nothing to do with he blood in the stool,mind you..
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

I would get the kitten to a vet quickly too!! Could you not have found someone else to care for them while you were away if your husband is not fond of cats? Litter boxes need to be cleaned regularly - you know the old rule. You need as many litter boxes as you have cats plus one.
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:10 PM

I should have clarified, my hubby loves the cats he just pretends he doest... then when I am not looking I catch him snuggling with them. We had another cat, Thai, an awsome cat. My hubby complained "I never wanted a cat!" all the time, but on Oct 11th when Thai turned up missing it was my hubby who was all over the neighborhood and whole town for WEEKS looking for him.

(Quote)P.S. You need to be a little more involved in the care of the kitten or not have one. Just my opinion. (Quote)

I'm not sure how to do actual quotes here, so I improvised. I find this kinda offensive since I am VERY involved with the care of my cats. I was gone for 8 days on a family emergency. The only reason the kitten has not yet gotten his shots ect is because I JUST got him and after my dad had a incident with our vet I decided to find a new vet. My cats always get spayed/neutered, they always get their shots, I clean their box daily when I am here, they have toys, they get love and attention, they get top notch loving care just like my kids. Oh yes, I would love to have multiple cat boxes but there is just no place for more than one (seriously) which is why I clean it daily. I also used to have a littermaid but found it a pain in the butt to clean so I got rid of it.
Oh I almost forgot, I asked hubby again about the cats this morning when he was more alert and he says he noticed Hunter started cleaning his rear the same day I came home, so this all just started. I also placed a call to the vet on call... no return call yet.
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

If you just got the kitten, then get him to the vet ASAP. The runny poops are not normal and could dehydrate him. What kind of dewormer did you give? Is it from the pet store or the vet? ARe you sure they have worms? What kind of food are they eating?
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:22 PM

OK well I wanted to post a pic of all the kitties, but my upload page keeps freezing so I'll post an older pic of Hunter thats already uploaded and add Oreo later.

This is Hunter shortly after we got him

This was our beloved Thai Thai... we all still miss him so much. My 3 year old says "Mommy, I miss Thai" a lot, it breaks my heart.
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:28 PM

Lucky, I just saw your post I will reply real quick then I have an icky diaper to handle

As for food I have Iams kitten formula but they would rather starve than eat it. They also refuse to eat loaf style canned food (totally opposite of my last cat) so I am feeding them Whiskas sliced from a pouch and meow mix which a neighbor gave us a HUGE bag of because her cat went on a diet cat food. We are actually trying different foods out now to find a good one they will eat. I was going to pick up something else at the pet store last night but decided to wait and see what the vet reccomends. What do you all reccomend? Oh the wormer is from the pet store, with all kittens I get I use ear mite medicine and wormer till they get into the vet (easier said than done with limited vets in town)

Oh, its the older kitty with the slight bleeding, the kitten seems fine.
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, I know it's the older cat who is bleeding, but I think the kitten's prob sounds more serious. Meow Mix? That's not good - nearly anything would be better and with two males, I would stick with canned.

Bright red blood is usually irritation in the intestines or colon but some cats have a little bleeding for no apparent reason.

Please do not give dewormers from the pet store. They are not very effective and if you aren't sure the cats have worms, you are giving them pesticides for nothing. Also, different meds are needed for different kinds of worms.

I suggest you take stool samples from both cats when you take the kitten to the vet.
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

It's hard to know if the food is connected to the probs (prob not) but I too am loathe to recommend Meow Mix to anyone. I know some ppl think it's ok thx to mass marketing by the company but it's not. I feed my kitties Wellness tho sometimes Hills Science diet. There are other brands that are have good nutrition as well. I occasionally give my Siamese a can of Fancy Feast but I know Purina is not the best either. She likes it so I do give her some on occasion, along with a rare tuna treat (real tuna, NOT the kitty kind which is unsafe for cats!). Your cat is smart not to eat Iams!!

Is it b/c your home is small that you cannot accomodate two boxes? It's just that you could run into probs later on especially if one cat is ill! And kittens need non clumping litter and really should have their own box.

I hope you find a good vet and glad to hear your husband does like cats.
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:07 PM

I don't think I have seen the wellness brand but I do have about 30 minutes right now to go check it out before picking hubby up from the shop. I once read a book about what they put in animal food and was appalled, the only reasom I am using the meowmix is because a HUGE bag was given to me. There is a brand called Nutura or something like that, is it any good? Its one the book reccomended as having less of the icky stuff.
About the cat boxes, yes our house is tiny and places to even put one box are few and far between. We are actually working on getting permission to possible put a cat door in our bathroom leading to our laundry room (seperate entrance utility room) where I can easily make room for two boxes, but as for now cat box space is VERY limited. If you saw my house you would understand, we really need a bigger house.

I'm not supposed to give de-wormers? The vet I called TOLD me to! Uggg this is twice they have given me conflicting information. I won't give anymore. What about the ear mite meds? Both cats have none, but for future refrence, is it safe to do that?

So back to the food, is it better to feed them strictly canned food? If so what type of feeding schedule are we looking at, also how much?

Oh and Lucky I know you knew the big kitty was the one bleeding (lol) I was just clarifying which was which because with both cats being young they are technically both kittens, didn't want to confuse anyone (or myself.)
Oh no, my car is still running outside! TTFN!