Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old June 26th, 2007, 12:41 AM

Unhappy Chow Chow

I have spent the last month doing lots of research online on different dog breeds and finally came to the conclusion that American Bulldog was the breed that fit my life best. So I started my search for my new buddy and I was intending on getting a purebred. However, I ended up meeting a solid black thick haired American Bulldog/Lab mix and once I heard his sad story and met him for the first time I was hooked.

His previous owners got him when he was 3 months old and then he spent the next 6 months of his life alone in the back yard. The poor fella didnt even have a name. When I first met him the look in his eyes broke my heart. He was so affraid but wanted to be close to me at the same time. He kept crawling up to me on his belly and whimpering then just as he would get close he would dart away. My first thought was to leave and call someone to come take the poor fella but the longer I was there the closer he got to me untill he was following me around the yard like my shadow. His owners said "wow he has never warmed up to anyone that quick he must really like you" and I am thinking "are they nuts this poor dog is in some serious need of attention and affection." According to them they were getting rid of him because they had no time for him and they felt bad because he was so lonely. I coulda smacked em. One thing I must say is that he very healthy though. They might not have provided the company and love he needed but they did take care of his nutrition.

I have had him home for a few days now living inside with me and he has totally blossomed. He has already learned his name, Sly, and knows to sit, lay, stay and ask to go outside. He is shy and skidish and the only person he will even let close to him is me. Knowing what I know about american bulldogs and their usually loving nature I figured this was something I could over come with him.

Then today I was sitting with him trying to get him to relax after the mailman left when he let out a big yawn/whine and what do I see?? THE WHOLE BACK OF HIS TONGUE IS PURPLE!! I took him straight to my vet and he confirmed it. Sly is NOT a Lab/bulldog he is a CHOW/bulldog.....This totally explains his anti-social behavior but now I am worried.

All I know of chows is that you have to get em young and train em really well to be able to have them accept other people into their lives. He truely seems unhappy and afraid whenever anyone else is around even other people in my family. This is going to cause issues when my hubby gets back from his military duty in a few months if I don't figure out how to work with him now. Does anyone know if there is any hope of a first time chow owner to be able to socialize a chow that has been so badly raised? He is 9 months old and I think I might be in over my head. I could seriously use some oppinions here. What should I do to help him? Should I stick with him and do my best even though this type of dog is pretty much the oposite of what I was looking for or should I give him up to someone that has CHOW experiance? I want to do what is best for him. If there are any Chow owners out there please let me know if you think a rookie can pull this off. I really do like him and think he will make a wonderful dog but only IF someone can help him through this issue.

Thank you for your help!!
Old June 26th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Senior Contributor

there are several breeds that have black/purple tongues or spots of purple on their tongues, not just chows, my lab/shepherd has a couple spots and I definately know there is no chow in her as I saw the parents and one set of grandparents. Here is a page that will explain things.

http://www.columbusdogconnection.com...ngueDebate.htm
Old June 26th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the Forum!!!
Many years ago we had a shepard/chow mix(Julius),we also had 3 little kids.
He was a wonderful dog,the only problem we had with him,he would only take commands from my husband.
I am not sure why you are worried,maybe because of his background??
I don't believe Chow mixes are much different from other dogs
I cannot give you any training advice,have not had a dog for a long time,but maybe he needs obedience-classes and socialization.
We would of course like to see a pic
I have an old pic of my dog from 1970 somewhere,here he is..
Attached Images

Old June 26th, 2007, 08:02 AM

Hi,

I might have a chow mix... he has black spots all over his tongue and a semi-curled up fluffy tail. The vet cannot tell what breed your dog is, and it is true, there are other breeds with colored tongues. I have had my dog's breed heritage tested and am awaiting the results, so will soon know one way or another. It is a genetic test which is the only way to tell for sure unless you know the dog's parents and they are purebred. Though, some dogs look rather obviously like a certain breed... Regardless, if your dog is a chow mix or not, he is a mix, not purebred, so will not necessarily behave like a chow. Your dog has had some tough times and is in a new home with a new owner, so there will be an adjustment period. It would take any dog, regardless of breed, some time to adapt and let go of his fears, become more social. You can help your dog with this, but I am not a trainer, so likely don't have the best advice. When I first adopted my dog, at the age of about 5 months, from the Humane Society, he was very fearful, of everyone and everything. He would growl at people he didn't know because he was afraid. I spent time introducing him to the neighbors, having them give him treats, and would take him for short walks in my neighborhood. He made a lot of progress but not until about a month after he came home with me. I think what did it was that I brought him on vacation with me to my parents place. I thought he would be super scared of all of them, but he ended up doing really well luckily, because if he really had a serious problem with fear it might not have went like that. I would give your dog some time, and hopefully you can get some good advice here or from a trainer about how to build up your dogs confidence and help him trust humans again.

added: I forgot to say, now, almost a year later, my dog is super sweet, very social and loves everyone, including other dogs and cats. He even caught a squirrel in my yard and didn't kill it... seemed to be trying to play with it but the squirrel wasn't into it. His only remaining fears are of riding in the car, and sometimes larger men make him nervous.

Last edited by Kristin7; June 26th, 2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old June 26th, 2007, 08:28 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, Switch. Welcome to the forums!

First of all, thank you for taking this dog in. Sly really needed a loving home and you provided it.

Secondly, even within breeds, you'll find a wide variety of personalities. To me, it sounds like Sly's discomfort around strangers is a product of his upbringing, not his heritage. Remember how shy he was of you when you first met him? This can be overcome.

9 months of age is a wonderful time to adopt a dog. We just brought a dog, Brier, home this weekend who is between 9 and 10 months. He also spent the first months of his life alone. Everything is new to him, and he's fearful of a lot of it, but he's already coming around. Dogs are very sensitive at that age and you have to go slow, but you also need to expose them to all the things that make life wonderful--and that includes people.

A good place to start is with a few family members and friends. Have them move slowly, talk softly, and have yummy small treats to give Sly when he comes over. If he likes balls or other toys, have your guests play with him. Get him comfortable with them, then expand the group with more strangers. By the time your husband gets home, Sly will look forward to having strangers (to him) in the house.

There will be other issues, as well--again, not because of Sly's heritage but because of his upbringing. If he's sleeping on the bed with you, he'll have issues with your husband sleeping there, too. Sly will likely try to defend it. The easiest way to avoid this is have Sly sleep elsewhere--perhaps on his own bed next to yours. If he's crate trained or has a bed in another room, so much the better for when your hubby gets home.

Because Sly is so fearful, you'll need to boost his confidence, but not the point where he thinks he's ruling the roost. Upbeat, confident tones and body posture on your part will let him know that all is well. Remember that dogs communicate primarily through body language--and Sly can read yours like a book! Obedience classes will help him gain confidence and also get him more socialized with other dogs. When your husband gets back, having him repeat the Obedience classes with Sly would be a good idea, too. Make everything a positive experience but use firm (but gentle) discipline--that means consistency, consistency, consistency...and that's something that an Obedience Class can help teach you.

Don't let yourself start looking at Sly differently because you suspect he may be part chow. If you feel fearful or nervous because of it, he'll pick up on it from your body language and also become nervous. He'll be confused. This will be your hardest challenge. So remember only that he is a loving dog who needs some help to overcome his bad puppyhood--like a child brought up in a neglectful home. Remember--calm but upbeat, confident voice, movement, gestures.

You might wish to consult with a good behaviorist. Your vet may be able to help you find one. There is nothing like good professional advice when you're dealing with a novel, tricky situation like yours. A behaviorist can give you tips on how to boost Sly's confidence without giving him "delusions of grandeur" , how to socialize him well, how to get him used to crowds and strange sights and sounds. And most importantly, how to prepare him for the arrival of your husband!

But with gentleness, a lot of patience and hard work, and lotsa loving, Sly should come along just fine, even if he does have some chow chow blood. I've known some very sweet full-blooded chow chows in my life, even though I've never owned one. Look for the good potential in Sly and go from there Good luck! Let us know how you're doing!

And I also would love to see some pics!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Doggie Wench

Welcome Switch . You've received some wonderful advice and when applied consistently, it does work. I know, I've been there and reading your post, I felt as if you were describing one of my dogs exactly, right down to the way he behaved when you first met. He will need time and you will need support, but his fears can be overcome, especially at his young age.

A behaviorist is definitely recommended and if you're interested, I'd like to recommend several 'easy to read' books that have helped us tremendously.

"Leader Of The Pack" and "The Cautious Canine (How to Help Dogs Conquer Their Fears)" both by Patricia B McConnell, Ph.D. and "Feisty Fido" also by Patricia B McConnell, Ph.D. and Karen B. London, Ph.D.

Sly can learn to overcome his fears as long as you're dedicated to working with him. The sooner you start, the better. Good luck and please let us know how he's progressing.
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:20 PM

Thumbs up mixed chows are great

I hope you found that you could keep your mix. I have had bijou a mix chow/lab for 12.5 years. Without any formal training, He has always had a good dispostion and everyone who meets him thinks he is a great well behaved dog I got him as a puppy who had been abandoned. Vet thought he was 6 months old. He was tenative at first also and is slow to warm up to men, but eventually does when he sees they are not a threat. He is definitely a ladies man and makes friends with them easily. Men who walk and stomp around sends him running for an escape instead of trying to be aggressive. This sound much like what you discribed with your pup. He is great with other dogs, cats and children. So don't let the chow in him scare you off. I think the parents have a lot to do with what kind of dog it will mature into. Old question is it environment vs heredity. The only funny thing about him is that he has always been protective of his belly being he is not one to just roll over on his back to have his belly rubbed. A dog who will expose his belly is a submissive dog. He is more like a king as he will lay on the ground to want for a dog to approach him to see if the other dog is a friend or foe. Some one also mentioned that they played but did not harm a squirrel. Bijou has found rabbits' nests and thought they were like his squikky toys and just carried them around in his mouth without hurting them before I could get to him.
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Socialization! Lots and lots of it!

My neighbor's chow was socialized with every human and dog they could find and is a great dog.

I do understand where your concern comes from though. I wouldn't choose a chow because of the instances of them turning on their owners or family members, and even the one next door that I like has nipped at her nephew.

I don't think he's going to attack or anything, and I'm not remotely afraid of him. But I knew him from a puppy, and maybe he thinks the nephew is for play like another dog?

I don't know - hopefully there are some chow experts on here.