Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old September 7th, 2007, 04:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
It's a girl, very small.
She's so cute ! She looks very dignify !
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Senior Contributor

She is adorable, completely unfazed by the other cats (although she makes them a bit nervous ), flips around the apartment or sprawls on the window sills like Nefertiti. I'd forgotten how charming kittens are.
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten View Post
I have had many Siamese and they do indeed shed. They do however have less hair than say some cats - especially long haired kitties or even some DSH ones. I am of the opinion to be honest that people should know what they are getting into with a meezer. They are loving cats - and I have to say I loathe the expression that they are the most "doglike" of felines, a term developed because they are extremely intelligent (as are many other breeds) and like to fetch and play in much the same way as dogs. In some instances, they can also be very attached to one person and like to be picked up and cuddled - which is not the case with every cat. It is not the same with every Siamese for that matter!!!!

I think these in the end are all stereotypes and to get the kind of cat she wants, she will have to look at the mother and kittens and check out the background and genetics. There really is no such entity as a cat that does not shed. I have 2 Sphynx cats and they do not shed but they also cost thousands of dollars. So of course do some Siamese - like a show quality one who meets the standard PLUS! If she wants one who does not shed for health reasons (ie allergies), even Sphynx kitties will cause problems because if is the saliva and not so much the hair that can cause the issues. (Tho hair can as well. )If it is for cleanliness reasons, she is going to be cleaning up after a cat anyway - and my Sphynx are more work than a hairy Persian because they must be washed so often - they can become oily so there is no way out with cats. Either you are a cat person or you're not, I think.

So, I am not sure her reasons for wanting a Siamese are the best to be honest. Siamese are very demanding of your attention and if they do not get it - or something to keep them busy, they can get into trouble - while seeking for something to do,. They have to be busy - sort of like having two year olds. They are high energy and need to be playing and active and are not for someone who wants a laid back cat that requires little time and work. I agree that if that is what she wants, her best bet is a Ragdoll or a Ragamuffin. They do however shed and have longer hair. You can't worry about shedding when you have a pet - it's part of the fun of having a cat or dog or rabbit.

I completely agree. My aunt had a show quality siamese that lived to around 20 yrs old (Originally Came from a show cat of hers, but I was too little when that cat died to remember it), and I've had several siamese mixes that had the same personality as hers. Even cats that have a high percentage of siamese blood are LOUD, actual siamese are even louder.
They sound like a baby crying, and this will go on and on if you're not giving them enough attention, and for some cats they just like to talk. I don't think some people understand what I mean by sounds like a baby crying....I mean sounds like a baby crying....just as loud just as annoying if you can't handle it.

They are very smart cats, and they do tend to be dog like, but they want ALL your attention. If someone is not willing to make their siamese a part of the family and treat it similar to a child, they basically shouldn't get one IMO. Siamese seem to like plenty of mental stimulation, and if you don't give them that they will find other ways to get it, which can be a bad thing.

As far as them not shedding, that is completely not true. My mixes and all the true siamese I've known, show type or not, shed just like any other cat and can shed a whole ton during certain times of the year.

I love siamese but they're not for everyone. As an example of noise volume, which no one seems to get until they hear one in person, I had an indoor/outdoor siamese mix as a kid (don't flame me, I was a kid! ). He disappeared for a few days, in someone's house I'm assuming since he was the friendliest cat I ever had. He would go up to anyone, never even stuck his claws out if you picked him up, never scratched anyone in his life.
Anyway, he appeared back home at the window when we were all asleep, windows shut, me in the back room, and I could hear this kitty all the way from my bedroom meowing as loud as he could, he woke me up.
Old September 9th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Her choice just expanded. Look what wandered into my yard this morning. It's a girl, very small. I'm desperately trying to find the owner, no more space for this one, but if she got snatched up before that....
Ahh very small means less fur on the body, results in less shedded fur on the floor and furniture, ehh, ehh this could be a viable option!!! Pluss, mitted kitties are the best.

badger, do you think she could be doggie-like too?
Old September 9th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
badger, do you think she could be doggie-like too?
She is absolutely fearless, so I wouldn't be surprised. To see her flirt and dance around my grumpy old bachelors is quite a sight.