Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 8th, 2010, 07:15 AM

Help new momma kitty

Ok so I'm having a little problem ... My neighbors daughter came franticly knocking on my door yesterday afternoon asking me to come because her queen was finally giving birth and she knows that I have been thru the birthing process a few times before so I told her to come get me when the time was here and so she did ... She gave birth to 5 kitties over 6 hours (poor thing) but refused to "clean" them off and chew off their cord to which I had no choice but to do myself even though she did not like it much because she doesn't know me all that well. But now my problem is that she won't let the kitties come close to her .. She doesn't nudge, lick, feed or even acknowledge them. She has even asked the door to go outside early this morning. I am finding this very odd. I had no choice but to bring the kitties to the vet because the neighbors are on a very limited income and could not afford to do so but I myself am not the richest person in the world. The vet has told me that if the mother has "abandoned" them there is no chance at all that she will take them in. I need to know what I should do?? Should I leave them at the vet and for how long? When can I take them back and feed them myself? And is it true that momma will have nothing to do with her new angels?
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Is this her first litter? Sometimes, they can abandon them.Not knowing what to do, especially if they are young themselves. Is it possible that she just wasn't given enough time to clean them.
These kittens need their mothers milk or another cat who just is starting to wean her own litter. You can call the SPCA and tell them what you have and if they have a lactating mother on site. She may take the kittens as her own.
I raised Nickie and a few other babies when their mother got killed a two days after giving birth and raising them was the hardest thing to do. I had to get up every 2 hours for feeding. I lost one, but saved three.
If the other really has abandoned them, I would really try and find a mother who is still lactating. Good LUck
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:10 AM

Yes this is her first litter, I waited for over an our for her to clean her young but she would just keep moving away from them. And as for the SPCA I was amazed to hear that they did not have a mother that could help which is why I had no choice but to bring them to a vet
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Have her try to keep the kittens and momma together and supervise them. Right now she is exhausted and her hormones are going crazy . If she can, try to put the kittens to her nipples to see if they will suckle and momma may get the idea of what she is suppose to do, the first day of sucking is soooooooo very important.

Hopefully they won't let momma out

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Have her try to keep the kittens and momma together and supervise them. Right now she is exhausted and her hormones are going crazy . If she can, try to put the kittens to her nipples to see if they will suckle and momma may get the idea of what she is suppose to do, the first day of sucking is soooooooo very important.

Hopefully they won't let momma out
good idea L4H
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:21 AM

Unfortunately they did let her out last night and we have not seen her since ... As for feeding her babies she wanted nothing of it. Each time I came close she scratched me ( My hand now looks like I have had an encounter with Freddy Kruger). I asked the neighbors daughter to see if she could try doing it since it is her cat and she is also the only one that can pet her but to no avail, she did not get scratched but did get a very intense growl an evil look :s . I am at a loss because I have tried all I could think of and nothing has worked so far and am afraid that the kitties will have to stay at the vets office for a while because I have 3 kids and 2 of them are very small so I don't really have the time to be keeping an eye out on the kitties and the neighbors don't even want to try. So sad
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

we use to have to "teach" our new moms how to allow the kittens to suckle, usually after 48 hours the new mom would relax and allow them to drink, at times we had to don work gloves in order to hold her down, we'd hold the back legs (her laying on her side) and then the other hand would be behind her frong legs also sort of holding the neck still....
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:00 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

How long will your vet keep them? What kind of a bill are you facing for him/her doing so? Will they be willing to take them on and foster then adopt them? If none of those questions can be answered then the kindest thing your neighbour could do for those kittens, seeing as she really isn't in the position to pay for the vet care and doesn't seem interested in feeding them, is to have them pts. It may sound cruel but if there is no nursing mother around, no mother available at the SPCA, and not much of a chance, then IMO(and it won't be a popular one) it would be the best.
It would not fair of her to expect you to do her job for her. Why bring this new litter into the world if they are not willing to be responsible and look after them? And then for them to let her out? She will come back pregnant only to repeat the cycle again and again.
I appreciate the fact that you are a wonderful friend and neighbour but it is just not fair of them to foist this on you.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG, 14+, I support you 110% and was thinking the same thing too, just thought people would think me cruel.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:07 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
OMG, 14+, I support you 110% and was thinking the same thing too, just thought people would think me cruel.
We all know you are not cruel L4. I would hope people would know I am not either. But having watched a feral cat, now fixed and in the catuary, bring out a dead kitten of hers and eat it in front of me and not being able to do a blessed thing about it, it breaks my heart to think of these little ones not being able to flourish without a mom or a responsible owner.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:12 AM

Well I know the bill will be hefty if they stay there so long but the vet I brought the kittens too had first said $75/day but when I explained to her a little of the situation she had brought it down to $50/day and that is all inclusive as long as she gets to keep one as for the rest if I can't find a home for them I will keep them. I guess they will be new company for my new puppy that I will get at the end of the month. As for the neighbors momma, I still haven't seen her but if I do, I will attempt to catch her and bring her to the vet in order to get fixed. The vet also gave me a price to get them all fixed for a total of $300, momma as soon as possible and the babies later on but will have to pay the $300 right away tho. Don't know too much about the pricing but it sounds a lot better then the other vets I contacted that quoted me prices that would almost include my first born lol
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

does your spca not have foster homes for newborns?? it only takes feedings every two hours?
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:18 AM

I did not ask about foster homes ... I did not think of that. Thank you very much, I'll give them another call. Will keep you posted
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I know ours has a list of homes willing to bottlefeed kittens, I'm on the list for bottlefed pups, you have them for 8 weeks or until they are 8 weeks old then they return to the shelter to be adopted out, mind you, this is Ontario.

as a long shot, why don't you post in an online "trader" in your town, see if you can find a nursing cat with owners willing to take one or more kittens to add to the brood...get her kittens smell on your kitten and see if she'll take to any of them?
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Catlover2

The best solution would be to find a lactating mom. Most mom's will take other kittens if their scent from glands around their mouth or bottom is rubbed all over the heads and bodies of the kitties. It's unfortunate but true not all momcats have a good maternal instinct. A friend of mine had a queen who cleaned off the kittens but when she chewed off the umbilical cord just kept on eating. My friend thought queen was ok when she saw her cleaning up kittens, but then had to leave her to attend to her children and when she came back she'd eaten the kittens. This is just another reason why people should get their cats spayed and forget about letting their female have a litter so their kids can see the miracle of birth. Things don't always go as expected!

Kudos to you for being so kind in stepping up and taking this on. I sure hope you can find someone with a lactating mom or someone willing to foster and feed them.
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:48 AM

OK well I did get in touch with the SPCA and they do have a list but I have to wait for them to reach a family that is willing to either take care of kitties or have a lactating mommy that does not mind new kitties. So I am just patiently waiting by the phone. Will keep you guys posted. Thank you all for your help
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

good luck. these kittens will only get weaker if a solution is not found..
Old July 9th, 2010, 06:09 AM

OK a family in Canley, QC picked up the kittens early last nite. They have a lactating mommy and even if she refuses the kitties they will feed them by hand. They also said that I ca go visit the kitties but to give them a couple of days so they can get into their routine so everything has ended well
Old July 9th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Senior Contributor

That is wonderful! And I want to thank u so much for stepping in and helping these babies!!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 9th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Whew, I am glad they found a mommy. Most momma cats will take on new kittens if the intro's are done properly.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 9th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Senior Contributor

now that the kittens have been looked after...what happens with mommy, will this happen again in 60+ days....teh cycle will continue if she is not spayed.
Lilsis....I am not talking about you. I know she is not your cat...but you may be called in again to assist...can you talk them into spaying?
Old July 9th, 2010, 09:44 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsis261279 View Post
OK a family in Canley, QC picked up the kittens early last nite. They have a lactating mommy and even if she refuses the kitties they will feed them by hand. They also said that I ca go visit the kitties but to give them a couple of days so they can get into their routine so everything has ended well
WTG
Old July 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Catlover2

glad to hear you found a lactating mom. Thanks for all you've done.
Old July 9th, 2010, 11:01 AM

As for the momma cat I know she is not mine but I will attempt to catch her or wait until she returns home and will get her fixed asap to my own cost so this does not happen again but she hasn't returned home yet. Thank you everyone for all the help
Old July 9th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsis261279 View Post
As for the momma cat I know she is not mine but I will attempt to catch her or wait until she returns home and will get her fixed asap to my own cost so this does not happen again but she hasn't returned home yet. Thank you everyone for all the help
You are good people lilsis!
Old July 9th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Wow! Yay! I'm so happy to hear things are working out for you and the babies!!!
Old July 9th, 2010, 10:11 PM
150% PRO S/N

I am very glad this story has worked out so far. lilsis261279 - you are good people. Thank you.

Old July 10th, 2010, 06:12 AM

Thank you all so very much .. Ill try to get some pics in when they allow me to see the kittens