Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old May 31st, 2005, 03:57 AM

I can see the train wreck coming...

I've been living in Korea for 4 1/2 years now in a smaller city with about 100 foreigners (people not from Korea). I was probably one of the first in the city to own a dog (i have three). Now, it seems like there are many foreigners who think it is a good idea to buy a dog. I know most of the people who own dogs and we usually hang out on the weekends in the park.

One of the new guys recent "aquired" a dog and has no idea what to do with it. He's generally not home for long periods and the poor little guy stays home by himself (a white Shi Tzu with light brown markings). The owner scolds the dog for peeing on the floor (i haven't suggested crate training for fear that the dog would wind up in a cage all day) and the last time I met him, he says that he wants to get rid of the dog but can't find anyone to take it.

The problem is that most foreigners won't take the dog because they generally stay here in Korea for only a year and most Koreans won't take a "second hand dog"....especially one that is no longer a cute puppy.

The problem is that I think he might ask me to take the dog. The truth is that I cannot take him because I have three already. However, not taking him is more painful because this dog is absolutely adorable.

Short from asking if anyone knows anybody in Korea looking for a Shi Tzu, any thoughts on this situation???
SoJu - Shi Tzu
Cafri - Pint Size Dalmation
Old May 31st, 2005, 05:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't have any suggestions for the immediate situation but it is very sad when pets become a lifestyle 'statement' and a true commitment to the happiness of the animal is missing.

But I wonder if you might want to volunteer to write something in the local paper, appear on local television, or write a short pamphlet that could be printed and sold at cost or distributed free, outlining some of the issues around pet ownership. Everyone likes an expert, and in this situation, you're it. The 'package' should be inviting and the contents deadly serious. Maybe you could get a petstore to sponsor you.

Can you feel the flying fickle finger of fate?
Old May 31st, 2005, 07:55 AM

As the only other poster currently in Korea (that I know of anyway), I'll definitely keep my ears open... I wouldn't want the dog to be adopted to another temporary foreigner who will have to rehome it in a year or so, though....

By the way, how did your wedding go?
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Could you maybe seek out a kindred spirit who will be returning to the U.S. or Canada or hopefully a country not requiring quarantine and who would adopt the dog and take him home? Certainly the countries requiring the quarantine period need not be ruled out and while the quarantine period has been shortened, it is a very long process to arrange and very expensive.
Old May 31st, 2005, 02:46 PM
banned user

I think it's a little bit presumptious to say that no other Korean would adopt a "2nd hand dog" since he's not a puppy anymore. Although I'm not a Korean, but I am a Chinese and I think the 2 cultures are strikingly similar. There are tons of dog rescues in China now, I'm sure there are similar organizations in Korea as well.

Can't you get in touch with a local animal rescue organization like this one here?
Old June 1st, 2005, 09:46 AM

Hi Nymph....I don't think I'm being presumptuous. This dog has already gone through his puppy stage and I've asked just about everyone I know and no one wants it....because he's not a pup and he doesn't look like the average tri-colored Shi Tzu.

I also just don't want to dump him off on just anyone. The last dog I helped find a home ended up not staying with the family we gave it to and instead went to a farm. I have no idea if he's being looked after well or even if he is alive.

Basically, I don't want to take in this little guy myself because I can't but I don't want to see him without a good home. This is more of a rant i guess than actually asking for help.

I've seen the website for that shelter before but I don't know much about it. I believe the shelter is in Daegu which isn't close to where I live and there are no shelters in the city I live in. I guess I'll have to look more into it.
SoJu - Shi Tzu
Cafri - Pint Size Dalmation
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:08 AM
banned user

Hound_dog: it's a great thing that you are trying to help this dog, particularly in a country that is very hostile to dogs. But I do believe there are help around, perhaps not in your small town, but in neighboring cities? I'm assuming here. I'll do some research on this as wll.

What's the name of your nearest larger city?
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:20 AM
banned user

I'm really sorry Hound_Dog, it looks that I was the one being presumptious.

KAPS seems to be the ONLY animal rescue in the whole country! I can't believe it! Would a classified ad in local newspaper help to increase the chance of adoption for this poor little guy? How about posting an ad in some Korean forums?