Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 13th, 2012, 05:08 AM

Dog vomited pink pellets

Every few days my dog vomits what looks like half digested food. At first I thought he was eating our puppy's food, & it was making him sick (he has a very sensitive stomach). Today it happened again, but I knew it wasn't the puppy food because we're out of town without our puppy. I looked closer at the vomit, & it appears to be these oval-shaped soft pink pellets. There's nothing that looks like these that he could have eaten. He last ate at 10pm & he vomited at 5:30am. He is still eating & drinking normally, & right after he vomited he ran outside & peed & pooped, from what I can tell both are normal for him, no changes there. Should I be concerned about these pink pellet things? Are they just digested food?
Old September 13th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Dogs don't chew their food much so it could be partially digested food. If you don't feed food that is pink and oval then is he getting access to someone else's food? Cat food? Cat food is pretty rich and will make some dogs vomit.

I'd be pretty darn concerned if my dog was eating food and I didn't know what it was or where he got it. He doesn't have access to neighbours' yards? Plus of course I wouldn't want him vomitting every few days either.
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:54 AM

He has been sneaking food from my parents' dogs, but that food is similar to what he eats, & he's gotten in to it before & it never made him sick. No cats in this house, & no access to neighbours as we take him out & are always with him.
Old September 13th, 2012, 10:39 AM

Did the dog go for a car ride? Some people have air fresheners in their cars with little pellets in them. Just stabbing in the dark here. Usually they are in little mesh bags, dogs will eat the weirdest stuff.
Old September 13th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellek186 View Post
Every few days my dog vomits what looks like half digested food. At first I thought he was eating our puppy's food, & it was making him sick (he has a very sensitive stomach). Today it happened again, but I knew it wasn't the puppy food because we're out of town without our puppy. I looked closer at the vomit, & it appears to be these oval-shaped soft pink pellets. There's nothing that looks like these that he could have eaten. He last ate at 10pm & he vomited at 5:30am. He is still eating & drinking normally, & right after he vomited he ran outside & peed & pooped, from what I can tell both are normal for him, no changes there. Should I be concerned about these pink pellet things? Are they just digested food?
Does the dog food have pink pellets in it? If your dog is vomiting up his food a lot he could get vitamin deficiency. I would call your vet and see what they want you to do.
Old September 13th, 2012, 11:56 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Can you collect the pellets and bring them in to the vet? Maybe they'd be able to figure out what they are.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 13th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Can you collect the pellets and bring them in to the vet? Maybe they'd be able to figure out what they are.
We're on the same page , I agree the vet should be called. I was wondering about taking some of food and getting it wet and see how it looked , if there are any pink pellets once it come in contact with water. If not then the pellets are something the dog is finding on the ground. Do you think that would work??
Old September 14th, 2012, 06:10 PM

No air fresheners in the car...he hasn't been sick since I posted, I guess I can try wetting the food he's eating & see if it turns pink, but he's been eating the same food for a month now & he's just within the week getting sick maybe every 4 days. I'll continue to keep an eye on him & if he vomits the same again I'm going to collect it & call the vet. Thanks for the tips!

Tags
normal, pink, vomit