Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 6th, 2011, 08:16 PM

Exclamation 8 year old dog now going in the house!!!

I have two dogs (Auddi who is 8 and her daughter Lou Lou who is 3) and have recently acquired a kitten. Auddi who was the most house broken dog I have ever had or known, has now started going to the bathroom in the house. I take her outside and her schedule has not changed. When she is outside, however, she is constantly worried and looses 'focus' on the task at hand. She only wants to go back in the house. I know she stresses about the cat and I believe she is just confused as to the cats place in our 'pack' and this is causing the backwards-ness in house training.

The kitten (Mr.Cotton) is well behaved, very active and always uses his litter box. He isn't old enough to start marking yet, and he will be neutered as soon as hes old enough.

Has anyone come across this before and is there anyone else out there who can make any suggestions? We are all attached to Mr.Cotton and don't want to have to get ride of him, but if I can't rectify this issue that seems to be our only option!

Desi
Old September 6th, 2011, 09:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, Solace.

Have you had Auddi checked over by the vet since the problem started? Sometimes the stress of a new addition can make dogs prone to things like UTIs which can lead to inappropriate elimination. So I'd recommend a vet trip to rule out physical causes.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 6th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Since she is acting like a puppy, you have to manage her like a puppy while you are retraining. When she is in the house have her attached to you - she is less likely to try to soil when she is near you. You are present incase you need or correct her for trying to soil inside. You should be able to sense an energy change when she needs to go and can get her right outside again.

Perhaps give her longer walks away from the house so she can start enjoying time spent outdoors again.

It sounds as though she is unclear about the kittens presence and you could help her by giving her more structure when she is with the kitten. Have her sit calmly when the kitten is present. Show her that you like and feel safe with the kitten, but also help her feel safe with the kitten by not allowing the kitten to into her space if he is too energized. Auddi needs to feel that you are in charge of the household harmony and that you have control of the situation.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old September 10th, 2011, 12:24 PM

Thanks!

Thank you very much for your ideas! I have an appointment for all three of them on Wednesday and will bring it up with my vet!

I have stopped letting the kitten into the bedroom at night as this seems to annoy her the most. (I think its because hes the most active then.) Whenever my younger dog (Lou Lou) plays with the kitten I will have Auddi on the couch and give her lots of attention to distract her from the high energy.

I have been keeping her closer to me in general, trying to stay calmer and we are going for more frequent walks. It seems to slowly be getting better, here's hoping!

Desi