Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 12th, 2011, 06:38 PM
owned by Tucker

Bad dog

i feel so bad Tucker opened our screen door ran out and knocked over a little boy and made him cry. What do you say to the mother other than your sorry, thankfully it wasn't a crazy mother and the child was unhurt but scared.. Tucker isn't great around children he gets over excited and tries to kiss them and this is what I think happened and he knocked over the little kid.. I just feel so horrible. I can't imagine what went thought the mothers mind that does not know Tucker, she probably thought he was gonna bite him and if he did he could have bitten him really badly in the face it was a scary experience...
Old August 12th, 2011, 11:16 PM

Do you think the mother would be receptive to her & her son meeting Tucker in a sit/down stay so they both can see he was just excited & not out to harm the boy? Might help to calm any lingering fear of dogs , I think it might help you feel better too

When I had dogs anytime there was an interested but scared child I would always get them to come over & pet the dogs back while not allowing the dog to turn their head, just to give the kid a positive association w/dogs.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 13th, 2011, 08:18 AM
owned by Tucker

I was thinking of doing this too, I'm still very upset with Tucker think the mother and I were more upset than the little boy. Tucker was not raised around young children mine were teenagers when we got him, so he always played rough with them. He never had to deal with babies and young children, when he has been around my nieces baby now 3 he gets so excited and tries to just lick him, and he doesn't realize that he weighs over 60lbs and knocks them over. Also when he was a puppy I tried to get the kids in the neighbourhood come to him and stroke him but as they got near him they would run away and scream not a good thing for a bc. So I have always been leery of him with children and now this. My last dog was so great with children but he was raised with them, and very socialized with them he would let them climb all over him they never realized how big he was until he got up all 6foot of him and 120lbs. I think what scared the mother more was Tucker barked at them as they passed the house then he opened the screen door and ran out, but when he got to the little boy he tried to lick him and knocked him over. If he was gonna bite the child we would never have reached him in time to stop him and that is what scared me the most not that I think he would have but after all he is a dog and you don't always know what they are gonna do.
Old August 13th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler~GateKeeper View Post
Do you think the mother would be receptive to her & her son meeting Tucker in a sit/down stay so they both can see he was just excited & not out to harm the boy? Might help to calm any lingering fear of dogs , I think it might help you feel better too

When I had dogs anytime there was an interested but scared child I would always get them to come over & pet the dogs back while not allowing the dog to turn their head, just to give the kid a positive association w/dogs.
+1 excellent advice imo!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter