Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 14th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Jerky Treats - New Threat

Just want to let everyone know that the AVMA has announced that jerky treats (including chicken jerky) made in China have been reportedly making our pets sick. I stopped giving them to my dogs a few months ago once I realized that all the chicken jerky is made in China. I haven't found any that are made anywhere other than China. Here is the link that everyone should read: http://www.avma.org/press/media_aler...key_treats.asp
Old September 14th, 2007, 02:08 PM
-

Thanks for posting this bulletin!
Old September 14th, 2007, 02:10 PM

As far as I can tell, the jerky treats made by Solid Gold & Wellness are all made in the US.....unless someone has info otherwise?
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Mika, are they chicken jerky? I haven't been able to find any made anywhere other than China. A friend of mine thought she had bought some from Drs Foster and Smith that was safe. She even asked when she ordered and was told it was not from China. I checked the packaging and it was indeed from China. It was marked in small print.
Old September 14th, 2007, 09:23 PM

I re-checked Solid Gold and....oops.....they do not have chicken jerky. Theirs is beef, lamb, turkey.

Wellness does have a chicken & lamb jerky however. I could have sworn I read that all their products are from the US, but I couldn't find it this time on their site....so I e-mailed them and will post when I get a response back.
Old September 14th, 2007, 11:40 PM

Great...I'll look for your post later. I have several clients who's dogs loved the chicken jerky. I'm sure they would appreciate any suggestions.
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Wellness says that their jerky products (Pure and Simple Rewards) are made in the US and Canada and that the chicken for the chicken and lamb jerky comes from the US. I've included their reply to me. The 1% for other products they mention coming from Asia....anything to question?

"Thank you for taking the time to write about Wellness products.

All of our products are made in the United States and Canada. Also, our chicken does come from the United States, not China.

Our ingredients are primarily sourced from the United States and Canada. We choose to source some ingredients internationally in order buy the best quality available – for example, lamb from New Zealand.

Our ingredient breakdown by geography is as follows:
• U.S. and Canada: 95%+
• Australia and New Zealand: 4%
• Asia: less than 1%
• Europe: less than 1%

There are many high quality ingredients available in the U.S. However, sometimes ingredient quality is higher from other countries – such as Venison or Lamb from New Zealand and Australia; in other cases, sourcing from the U.S. isn’t an available option for us (or even the vast majority of pet food companies) because, for example, supplies are limited. Please visit our website www.omhpet.com; we have updated it with information regarding the recent recall. You will find information about the sourcing of our ingredients, our quality assurance program and additional food safety measures.

Thanks again for contacting us."
Old September 18th, 2007, 03:48 PM

Thank you for responding so quickly Mika. I do understand that some ingredients come from other countries and I've been given the same explaination from the specialty shop that I use for my pet supplies. I don't have any problem with that as long as they have strict guidelines. I know that the USA has used melamine in pet foods and I hope that changes are being made here in my own country. We have to trust someone, I can only hope that they truly deserve our trust.