Old July 14th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Senior Contributor

"Hope" is saved

this was a heartwarming tale from my little 'ol town
http://www.wawa-news.com/Newspages/0...nday/Shot.html

in case the link doesn't work...
Quote:
Tourists noticed this poor creature close to death on a bush road. She was muddy, only skin and bones, with a wound on her head and neck. She obviously had puppies a short time earlier.

These compassionate people threw some hamburger at the dog, which she inhaled awkwardly and growling all the time. Then they alerted the Wawa Humane Society.

We gave her time to recuperate from what ever traumatic ordeal she had undergone. The severe diarrhea, due to long starvation, took two weeks to get under control. When she had gained weight and was strong enough, we took her to a vet, and to our dismay, the x-rays revealed that she had been shot at close range.

She has lead fragments in her skull, throat and as a result of the shot, is blind in her right eye. She was spayed at the same time, received her vaccinations and was tested for parasites.

She is a two year old, small shepherd mix, good natured, and trusting again. She is active, playful and is looking for a good home to call her own. She need a little training to walk on a lead, and has to learn simple commands like "sit" and "stay". A fenced in yard would be ideal for her, but most of all she needs a compassionate, patient and caring family to complete her second chance at life.
and the conclusion
Quote:
It was one of the most distressing news articles to hit the website... An irresponsible pet owner shot their dog, and then left it injured to starve and die.

Thanks to the Wawa Humane Society and Karin Grundt this dog, "Hope" as she has been renamed, has a new home. A couple from Sault Ste. Marie have become her new guardians, and from the stories I have heard, she is fitting in wonderfully.

It is heartwarming end to the story. Well, perhaps not an end... Efforts are underway to determine why "Hope" was shot, why she was left injured to starve... ...and what happened to ther four puppies.

Officials say "this matter is still under investigation".
and, of course, a picture of the beautiful girl
Attached Images

and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

She is SO gorgeous

It is amazing to me how dogs are ever able to trust people after things like this happen to them....they are just the most incredible creatures!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 15th, 2008, 08:45 AM
-

Another Cry to start my day :sad: So happy that this poor girl was helped. WTF is wrong with people.
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:57 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She's so beautiful and looks so happy! After all she's been through...still trusting humans. I'm glad someone can...my faith has been a bit shaken of late...

I hope they eventually find the low-life that shot her and left her to die. Nothing they could do to him legally would be enough, but at least his brutality would be out there in the open for everyone to see.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:10 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I hope they eventually find the low-life that shot her and left her to die. Nothing they could do to him legally would be enough, but at least his brutality would be out there in the open for everyone to see.
I'm hoping the same Hazel , and there's still 4 pups ... :sad:

I'm so glad for Hope !
Old July 16th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Molly's mama

what a sad story
but at least there is a happy ending. what a beautiful girl.
I am a bit confused though... how did they know that she had four puppies??
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

How incredibly sad for her. If her former owner shot her, I don't even want to think about what happened to her puppies.

Thank goodness she was found and taken care of and now has a loving home.

She's beautiful.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 17th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you to all the people who saved her life and her new owners and I hope someone will recognize her and come through for her with the name of the horrible human beast who did this
Old July 17th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
what a sad story
but at least there is a happy ending. what a beautiful girl.
I am a bit confused though... how did they know that she had four puppies??
Good question! I don't really know but I wondered the same thing - maybe someone knew the dog. It's a small town so not all the story is always reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
There is already "talk" as to who it was.... and they have a HORRID history with dogs, having already killed/tortured three others that I heard of (one stabbed, one strangled with a coat hanger, can't even remember the third horrific act), now that's just gossip though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Thank you to all the people who saved her life and her new owners and I hope someone will recognize her and come through for her with the name of the horrible human beast who did this
Indeed, thank dog for those good people out there, cause we got some doozy bad folks. Attitudes towards dogs with some people up here are alot "different" than i'm used to, most of it kind of sickening to me:sad:. That said, we also have our share of incredible people too!!

Shooting dogs is unbelievably common place here - that's how our "animal control" puts animals down. Actually, we have no "animal control" right now cause no one wants the job - basically you only get paid if you capture or kill an animal Oh Boy! don't get me going on this one
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old July 17th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

That's a terrible situation otter! :sad: It's hard to imagine that there are areas even in Canada that have such a different culture regarding animals. I can't imagine how anyone can shoot dogs to put them down and not feel anything....it's hard to hear that is commonplace up north...
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl