Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 1st, 2017, 03:18 PM

Supplements

I want to make Betsy's food, but the recipes all have multivitamins and bone meal as ingredients. I found what looks like a good quality multi vitamin but I can't find bone meal. Would this stuff work? https://well.ca/products/westcoast-n...mag_26664.html
Old April 2nd, 2017, 12:31 PM

Hi Silverwind:

Glad to see that you are going to try and feed Betsy raw food. Will you be doing the same for Lily later on?

The recipe that you are working with - is it on the net? If so, can you please post the web site so we can have a look at the ingredients and determine what supplements would be decent to use in the recipe.

I've been feeding raw to our cats for over a decade and there is going to be some differences between menus. Hopefully some members that are involved in raw feedings for dogs will add their comments.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 09:59 PM

Are you preparing RAW or cooked food?

The ground bone in a RAW diet provides essential calcium. In addition, too much bone can constipate and too little can cause loose stool.

If you're preparing cooked food you can substitute ground egg shell for the ground bone.

Good luck
Old April 3rd, 2017, 06:19 PM

I can't do raw, because I am immunocompromised. but in the summer I do plan on giving her raw bones to chew out in the yard. Yes, I'm going to feed home cooked food to picky Lily as well. The recipes are here: http://dogcathomeprepareddiet.com/fe...t.html#growing

I am asking specifically about Betsy because she is just a baby so I have to be careful to get it right with her.

Here are some pictures for you to enjoy:

Betsy had a bath today.
Name:  17434663_10154122085692134_124869903454849012_o.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  111.5 KB

You'll notice, she always has her tongue sticking out
Name:  17621717_10154112819167134_474020200190070228_o.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  113.7 KB

This is why:
Name:  17492861_10154098478127134_8348108541828287944_o.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  169.8 KB
Old April 3rd, 2017, 08:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh my goodness, Betsy is adorable!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 3rd, 2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Oh my goodness, Betsy is adorable!!!
I know. And she's so soft! She feels exactly like I imagine a cloud would feel if you could touch it lol. And she's really smart- she has learned sit, lie down and roll over in about 5 minutes each. I love her!
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:36 PM

Lovely Lily She's a georgeous pup.
That's a serious tongue on Lily, guess it doesn't fit inside her wee mouth
Old April 3rd, 2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne&Co. View Post
Lovely Lily She's a georgeous pup.
That's a serious tongue on Lily, guess it doesn't fit inside her wee mouth
thank you Actually, this one is Betsy. Lily is our cat.
Attached Images

Old April 4th, 2017, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Betsy is very cute ! Is she a mixed breed ? WOW her tongue is huge !
Old April 4th, 2017, 03:49 PM

Hello Silverwind:

I've been checking on the menus from the web site that you are looking at using. The product you were eyeing on Well.ca is not what you want. The Bone Meal is a powder and enclosed is a web site where it can be purchased.

https://ca.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-Bo...1-lb-454-g/425

Don't substitute Bone Meal that is used in gardening. It is not for consumption.

At one time the NOW Bone Meal was readily available at Health Food Stores, but ever since the mad cow fiasco about 10 years ago, the demand has dropped right off. It can still be purchased in the states through iHerb, or on the above web site.

The web site you are looking at for recipes appears to have been a good web site at one time, but I feel that it hasn't been kept up to date and a lot of the documentary reports were done back in the early 1990's to mid 90's and I see no mention of updates in the reports. The web site copyrights date is 2010 which leaves me a little leary. And the doctor who put the site together is well up in age now.

Lynne&Co. mentioned Eggshell Powder. I think the majority of us who are doing home prep for our animals, use Eggshell Powder. It's easier digested, easy to make and the cost is free due to the fact that we normally throw eggshells in the garbage. The best bet is to use "free range" eggs from one of your local farmers. One of the main reasons for this is some of the commercial egg suppliers treat their eggs with mineral oil or wax to help maintain moisture. The mineral oil can be dispensed with through a 10 minute baking time in the oven, at 300 degrees F., but the wax cannot, and the wax can be detrimental to whatever is consuming the eggshell powder. Just something to think about.

Taking everything into consideration, if I was in your place, I think I'd be keeping Betsy on a good quality canned food diet until she is older. Due to the fact that she is in dire need of top quality nutrition while growing.

Because you are new to this task of making your own food for your pets, there is always the possibility of making an error - however slight - that would cause major problems in nutrition, during the dog's growth. That's why I suggest waiting until she is a little older and she would be more tolerant to any errors. The side effects wouldn't be as severe - if there were any.

Doing this will allow you more time to explore other web sites or books like Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for dogs and cats, which has some decent food recipes in it.

If I can be of any other help, please feel free to ask.
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Betsy is very cute ! Is she a mixed breed ? WOW her tongue is huge !
Yes, her mother is half pug half maltese. The father is unknown, but judging from her looks I think there may be some Pomeranian in the mix. Her tongue is crazy!
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post

Taking everything into consideration, if I was in your place, I think I'd be keeping Betsy on a good quality canned food diet until she is older. Due to the fact that she is in dire need of top quality nutrition while growing.

Yes I think I will start making the cat's food, but I want to make sure Betsy gets proper nutrition while she is growing. Thanks for the good advice!
Old June 13th, 2017, 10:33 PM

Betsy looks really cute.