Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old August 9th, 2007, 02:58 AM

Wink my springer should be 6 weeks pregnant

hi my springer was mated with on the 27th june she is due on the 30 august but......... she dont look any different to me what signs should i be looking for this will be her 1st litter
please any advice will be good
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

your breeding mentor should be able to let you know all the signs you should be looking for.

this is generally a pro spay/neuter board. so advice here may be few and far between as most of us are not breeders here.
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:08 AM
-

Welcome to pets.ca ~ as noted this is a VERY pro spay and neuter board. Many of us work or volunteer with rescued animals and others, like myself have adopted rescued dogs. As such we are all too aware of the tens of thousands of unwanted puppies and dogs who come from backyard breeders and puppymills and are euthanized each and every day.

Please consult your Veterinarian with your breeding questions.
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Hi and congratulation on your upcoming litter!

There is virtually NO one on this forum that will answer questions about breeding etc. If you want to get good answers from some great people who are also pro spay/neuter, but still willing to give you answers try this forum

I'm assuming that this is your first litter, if you are unaware of the signs of pregnancy. I would highly recommend that you take your dog to the vet for a check up. It costs less than $100.00 and they will be able to palpatate and tell you for sure if she's prego and even an approxamiate number of pups. It will also give you a chance to ask questions and educate yourself about what to be aware of.

Each bitch is different as to how they show they are pregnant. Not every bitch gets all the signs, it's more about knowing your own dog than anything else.

You may notice
-increase in appitite
- vulvua may remain enlarged after her heat cycle
-her vulva may start to get big again to allow for birth
- Her nipples may "pop" and she will start to fill with milk
- she will get bigger, allow if it's a small litter she may not show at all
- she may become more affectionate/distant (there's tyipcally a mood change)

- it is also advisable to start taking her temperature every morning and night. Typically a dog's temperature is about 101 F but prengnacy tends to give them a lower temperature between 99 - 100 F. On our around day 58 of her pregnancy you should take and record her temperature in the morning and at night. Take her temp when she is in a calm restful state. If you take her temp after exersice etc the readings will be off. You should notice that her temp will fluctuate within a degree. The day before she has the pups her temperature will go up, back to a normal dog temperature. Then it will dip right down below 98.5F this tells you that she will give birth with in 12 to 24 hours. In my experience this drop of temperature is accompanied by early signs of labour.

A good website for whelping, pregnacy signs etc is

http://www.debbiejensen.com/

Of course you can always visit the other forum and/or PM

All the best

Last edited by Capt. Jack; August 9th, 2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:36 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethaliz View Post
There is virtually NO one on this forum that will answer questions about breeding etc. .... I would highly recommend that you take your dog to the vet for a check up.
NO one ? Really ? Cuz I would SWEAR I just gave him the same advice... Gosh it must be AUGUST
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
NO one ? Really ? Cuz I would SWEAR I just gave him the same advice... Gosh it must be AUGUST
Your entire advice, the advice that is always given here............."go to the vet" thats it thats all. Nothing else. Except every now and again this forum might say "got to the vet,,,,,,get your dog spayed now" Taking the dog to the vet is great, but it's not really giving helping to answer the question. This person isn't looking for "take your dog to the vet/get it spayed" they are looking for support. I was simply letting the OP know that support is non exsistant here, for breeding anyway. I was offering a more envolved anwer and advising the OP where support and informaiton can be found. It would be nice to be nice and not jump down peoples throat.

To the OP. I wish you all the best. Ignore the conflict.
Old August 9th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
All bulletin board posts (which include the signature at the end of the post) are for purely personal/non-commercial use only.All bulletin board posts (which include the signature at the end of the post) are for purely personal/non-commercial use only. Unless specifically approved by an Admin, promoting your own, or any other another business, website or cause either directly or indirectly is not permitted. If you are in doubt, ask first. Non-profit organizations like charities, shelters and rescues can obtain special permission but must ask first. Please direct all such inquiries to marko( at )pets.ca
This is why the post above was edited.
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:27 PM
-

Quote:
It would be nice to be nice and not jump down peoples throat.
Sorry , I don't see the post where someone jumped at the op's throat.

M3X , like always , very good advice , if you want to find out if your dog is pregnant , bring your dog to the vet.
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:39 PM
-

Quote:
Ignore the conflict.
Conflict ? What conflict ? We gave the same advice = see a Vet.

Or wait , Bethaliz are you talking about being ethical ? Ahhh, then I see it now. I am ethical and you're.... So that's the problem.

Well, so long as we understand each other.

Last edited by mummummum; August 9th, 2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:43 PM
-

yes yes , ethics ....
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Papa D

i think what you should look for is a mirror and ask youself why your breeding when clearly you have no experience.....
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.

Last edited by wdawson; August 9th, 2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:11 PM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdawson View Post
i think what you should look for is a mirror and ask youself why your breeding when clearly you have no experience.....
sigh...dogs have needs too

i hope the OP is ready to get her hands dirty when the pups arrive and is ready to handle any....ANY medical crisis should anything go wrong with the delivery.
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiorji View Post
i hope the OP is ready to get her hands dirty when the pups arrive and is ready to handle any....ANY medical crisis should anything go wrong with the delivery.
I can see that this op hasn't been back today , so I guess it's not a top priority .....
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
This is why the post above was edited.
My last post was edited because I refered the OP to a more supportive forum.

All I was doing was trying to provide support for the OP, support that has rarely been provided to me on this forum. It turly is sad that people come seeking assistance and they get run off. Has anyone thought tha the reason the OP has not returned or at least not reposted because they don't feel supported.

As for my ethics, you really don't know what they are do you? Why is that? You assume that because my views are different from yours that I am unethical. You don't stop to think that I am hear asking questions to BECOME ethical. I do not breed. I have NEVER bred. But I am learning. I love dogs and want to pursue my interest in them. I am lucky to have found a breeder that's willing to allow me to learn from her dogs until I"m ready to purchase my own. Asking questions does not make one unethical. So please do not question my ethics. 100% you can ask anyone who knows me, even in passing, and they will tell you I"m probly the most ethical person they know.

Being ethical and being nice are 2 different things.

TO the OP

As my post was edited let me say this...........There are other forums that are more helpful. Yes they will probly encourage you to spay your dog as well, however they will still answer your questions and be nice to you. Try doing a google search for breeding or breeder forums. I wont repost the website I'd recommend. But I do encourage you to look elsewhere.
Old August 9th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor

It has long been a forum rule (not to mention proper forum etiquette) not to post links to other forums in a thread. I have been here for several years and I have yet to see such a post stand uneditted.

Now, if memory serves, YOU have had three pregnant bitches in your care when they went into labor. The last one you almost lost in delivery because simple pre-natal care had not been taken. I think it is time you find a new mentor.

As for the OP - a simple vet check will answer any and all questions. A pregnant dog should be getting the proper vet care just like one's pregnant daughter would get.
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdawson View Post

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old August 9th, 2007, 08:33 PM
-

Quote:
There are other forums that are more helpful. Yyes probly encourage you to spay your dog as well, however they will still answer your questions and be nice to you.... But I do encourage you to look elsewhere.
As do we to you.
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

my springer

I 2nd that suggestion.
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:25 PM
-

woohoo , we get to vote on it ?! I third it then .

Sorry but we really don't need people (byb) who think they know enough to give advices to other byb when they clearly don't know what they're doing because anyone who breeds dogs would know , they need to get vet check on these dogs.
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Swift Tribe

come on guys, life is a journey, if we thought everything out before we did it we would be perfect beings. anyone here (or anywhere) who finds them to be one of those people please raise your hand and ill go ahead and call you a liar.

while not in support of BYBers being rude to people based on their ignorance when they are asking for help is shameful. instead of lynching someone for something like that, educate them POLITELY. if you cant handle that, dont look in threads like this. most of you come off as zealots instead of the intelligent caring people you are.

let me ask you this, how old were you when you euthanized your first pet? any creature? how about with your own hands?? i was 10 years tender. she was inbred and dying at 2 weeks old. if i can show someone like this compassion, you can too.

this is just shameful."very pro spay and neuter" doesnt translate "very rude".

-ashley
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:41 PM

Well, it seems that we have gotten away from the OP, so we will close this thread.
Old August 10th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

As always, I ask members to be polite. This pregnancy situation comes up over and over and over and over. It will never go away

Please try to gently educate...or ignore posts that make your blood boil.

If newbie asks what the signs of pregnancy are why not tell them while gently educating them on spay/neuter.

I will be putting up a sticky in this forum that contains generic articles that list the signs of pregnancy. Members can feel free to refer to these articles.

Please remember...people learn nothing when they feel attacked. Although the many great souls that make up our board see the daily results of people's lack of knowledge....still, newbies come here one by one and they will learn nothing if they feel attacked.

For the OP - Here is an article on signs of pregnancy in dogs.
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dogpregnant.htm

Thanks everyone,

Sincerely,

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

There is a new sticky in this health forum outlining the signs of pregnancy and a prelude to the articles describing why we should spay/neuter and NOT byb.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=462321

Thanks all

Marko
ADMIN
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread