Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pet product reviews - dog products > Cat product reviews

Old May 10th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Senior Contributor

CritterCord vs Chewsafe (cord protectors)

Finally getting around to this review! As you all know, I have one master chewer cat, bunduk who will eat thru any wire and is not deterred by bitter apple/ bitter yuck.

On reccomendation of rainbow () I bought chewsafe from http://www.cabletiesandmore.ca/Chewsafe.php. Before I bought those I also bought crittercord from http://www.crittercord.com/. Essentially they are the same product - clear plastic tubing infused with a bitter taste to prevent chewing. It is quite thick too, so even if your pet is not deterred by taste I'm pretty sure they won't chew through it. Chewsafe is canadian while critterord is an american product.

They both work wonderfully and any wire properly covered with crittercord/chewsafe has not been chewed through. It is also quite asthetically pleasing. I would have to reccomend chewsafe over crittercord though for a few reasons:

A) Chewsafe comes in much bigger rolls. This means long wires can be done continuously with no gaps - believe me if you have a power chewer u do not want those. Bunduk found one and ate right thru

B) The tubing is a little thinner and thus more malleable and thus easier to use/bend in places.

C) The infused smell is not so toxic. When you open the shipping package of either product it will assault your senses. Kind of gives you a headache but the crittercord even more so. Especially in small rooms with lots of wires (like my computer room) it can be just too much at first. Though the smell eventually fades, I felt the cittercord was just overkill.

So there u have it paws for the product concept overall but chewsafe getting 5's for performance while crittercord gets 4.

Editted to add this picture, showing crittercord on a phone wire. I also forgot to mention that the tubing has a slit in it so that you can put the wires through. Also, you can fit about 3 thin wires in the same tube comfortably.

wires1.jpg

Last edited by onster; May 12th, 2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:53 AM

Very informative review

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks growler I hope it will help someone in the future!
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Swift Tribe

oh my goodness.... since bitterapple works well enough for us we ahvent thought much about something else BUT man... you touch a cord with bitterapple on it and your hands taste like it for DAYS!!! onster, have you noticed a taste transfer on your hands?? how flexible is it? ease of use?? i can only imagine trying to get one of those suckers in a tiny slit... i have very little patience. do other people notice the smell of it even though you may not??

thanks for making this post!!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

LOL yeah want4rain I used to touch things by mistake and then eat a sandwhich nasty stuff!! I think bunduk has no taste buds He licks it off my fingers
  • With the crittercord/chewsafe there is no taste transfer
  • Quite flexible, enough for it to up and around/behind all the computer accessories and fit into back of pc - no probs. Chewsafe is better than crittercord in terms of felxibility.
  • Very easy to use. Basically the slit runs all way through the tube. The best way I can describe it is reverse pea shucking (sp?). You put the top of the wire in the slot and then push it in running your finger all the way down the slot. It's quick. I dunno if that explanation made any sense
  • Nobody else notices the smell after about a week. The smell it gives off fades but the taste remains. I know cuz i bit into it to check

Your welcome

I can take more pictures of u like? Maybe showing u the slit ?
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Swift Tribe

naah, no additional pics needed unless you want to post them for others. the pea shucking makes for a great analogy!! might have to invest in a few of those for the cords we touch a lot.

THANK YOU!!

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:44 AM
-

An excellent and informative review, Onster ....I'm sure it will be very helpful to others.
Old May 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys, it really is a great product and a life saver. It is used for rabbits and chincillas too

Glad the pea analogy made sense, lol
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:04 AM

Thanks Onster...I will look into it because Guinness seems to love the internet wire connector to my modem. I think its more when I am not around and the kids are on the computer ignoring him so he goes underneith their feet and chews on it.
Anyone know of a good leash besides METAL I can use because he that is also costing me a fortune.....
Bitter apple does not deter him he actually seems to like it... have also tried hot sauce and juice from hot peppers. Licks it right up
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Slave to Dogs and 1 Angel

Just remember dogs and cats might have better sense of smell than we do, but we have a whole lot more taste buds compared to them. Also our sense of taste is much more developed.

Guinness's Mom - Have you tried making your own leashes? It is actually not that hard. I have done about a dozen or so in the last three weeks. If you need some ideas or plans on making DIY leashes, drop me a PM. An alternative is a company that has a chewed guarantee. They will replace your leash for you if your dog chews it. They will even replace the replacement leash if your dog chews that one. The leashes are chew proof but if you send it to them, they replace it. Might have to pay for shipping and handling, but if your dog keeps chewing his leashes. It could still work out to be cheaper.

I don't know what the policy on pets.ca is for posting websites of businesses that aren't sponsors so I won't, but if you need information or the name. Again just PM me and I will send you their name and website address via PM.
Old September 18th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness' mom View Post
Thanks Onster...I will look into it because Guinness seems to love the internet wire connector to my modem. I think its more when I am not around and the kids are on the computer ignoring him so he goes underneith their feet and chews on it.
Anyone know of a good leash besides METAL I can use because he that is also costing me a fortune.....
Bitter apple does not deter him he actually seems to like it... have also tried hot sauce and juice from hot peppers. Licks it right up
ure welcome. hope it helps!

Ya my guy likes bitter apple too...what a weirdo