Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old March 13th, 2005, 10:39 AM

Another "attack"; Why are there so many stupid owners?

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Toront...59254-sun.html

If you own a Pit bull or a Rottweiler, how the hell do you let them get loose? These stupid owners are ruining it for the rest of us.
Old March 13th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

That statement is kind of offensive to pitty and rottie owners.

Statistics show that labradors are the number one biters - which makes sense as there are more registered labradors then any other breed of dog. Labrador bites don't sell papers though, pit bull and rottweiler bites do.

NO DOG, OF ANY BREED, SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO RUN LOOSE.
Old March 13th, 2005, 10:58 AM

First of all, I'm a Rottweiler owner. My point is, because of the climate of breed bigotry that is prevalent in Ontario (actually most of Canada) if you own one of these dogs, you have a responsibility (yes, even more so than a retriever owner) to ENSURE that these dogs are never placed in a position where they can harm someone.

You may think it is unfair, but it's the truth.
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Your right and I am sorry. I am just so tired of hearing about "those viscious dogs" from people who buy into the press.
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Once again it shows that 'somebody' messed up and that somebody had two legs not four.
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:52 AM

GRRRR to those people who let those dogs out, they really are ruining it for the rest of us. I was on a walk last night with a friend and our dogs and there was an Akita mix just waiting to jump the fence to get the dogs. Very pretty dog, but all fangs and wanting to fight, it was quite scary. I could not imagine a child walking past and saying "oh pretty puppy" reaching her hand through, and bye bye hand. People really need to be careful. All breeds should be watched, because if there is enough complaints, any breed could be next. My father was bitten by a cocker spaniel pretty badly and my sister almost had her eye taken out by a sheepdog, yet they dont mention those breeds, but both bites were documented. My very dear friend had a portion of her face taken off by a purebred black lab. She had extensive plastic surgery and is still missing teeth, but those owners just picked up and moved and never recieved any punishment. Sorry I am ranting, I will stop, but this just annoys me to no end. Ozzy wouldnt hurt a fly yet hes known as a mean dog because of his mix
Old March 13th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I care about my Rotti so much I would never let her out of my sight outdoors, there are too many evils lurking and I could not live with myself if harm should come to her from my stupidity. I fought to hard to keep her with me, I refuse to be irresponsible & neglectful by letting her run free. Besides, she could not handle being loose health wise and it's against the law.
Let me rephrase the first comment. I love my roommate and it is my duty and joy to protect her.
Old March 14th, 2005, 07:41 AM

There will allways be stupid owners, if the government thinks breed bans will rid the provice of stupid owners, they are sadly mistaken, as we all know.
I could never let my dogs loose in a city, they may be completly harmless to people, but thats no reason to let them loose, there are a lot more people scared of dogs now, than ever before thanks to all the negitive press created by Bryant. When Jaw's came out everyone was scared of water and sharks, there was no real threat, but Bryant was not around to ban sharks, so people stayed out of the water. Now that the Fiberals have backed up peoples false fears and created a media frenzy based on myth and fiction, instead of being a responsible government and calming people down with truth and fact. I cannot even take Sable out for a walk without people crossing the street to get away from her, she loves to meet people when she's out, but now she can only see them from across the street, Thanks, Mr. Bryant.
Stanley- Tabby cat and King of the hut
dogster at.[url]http://www.dogster.com/?176592[/url]
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Meaghan Edwards

While I'm annoyed at the owners, I'm also annoyed at the media for making this news article more newsworthy than the real attack invoving an Airedale attacking a service dog an the owner.
Old March 14th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Beagle Mom

Why does it always seem that there is one "target" dog that everybody wants to point a finger at and say VICIOUS! DANGEROUS! BAD DOG!

When I was a child in the early 70's, it was the German Shepherd that was labeled vicious. We had 5 shepherds when I was that age, and the only thing they EVER bit was each other. Yet people were scared to death of my big bad doggies.

In the 80's it was the Doberman Pinscher that got this dubious title.

The 90's it was pitbulls and rottweilers, and that seems to be carrying over into this decade.

So what's next? Who's gonna be the big bad doggy in the next decade? St. Bernards? Dalmatians? Siberian Huskies? The terrifying beagle?

EVERY dog breed has the potential to harm someone, even that little beagle. If owners would just be responsible, train their dogs, keep them under control, leash them or pen them when necessary, as well as protect them from potential attack so they're not forced to fight to defend themselves, then maybe this "doggy prejudice" would end. If dogs are vicious, it's because they've been raised to be that way. EVERY breed has it's bad individuals. Not every breed is bad.
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:32 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

IRRESPONSIBLE OWNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I love the way the press exagerates things, (the dogs came into the bus shelter and attacked and bit 5 year old Brianna in the face) and then went on to say, (Brianna was uninjured).
If a pittie and rotti attacked 5 year old Brianna, she would be in the hospital or dead.
Why do people insist on blowing things so out of proportion!! Sounds to me like these dogs were trying to play!
These dogs still should not have been loose (idiot owners!!)

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 14th, 2005, 06:14 PM

Michael Bryant's Perfect World

Who wrote that crap? I am not dismissing that this was a serious thing, and if my child was one of the two in the story, I would be extremely upset about it. It doesn't change the fact that no dog should be out there running loose.

A totally bias story fully supporting breed specific legislation by making the pit bull the one who did all the attacking?? Insane! If both dogs attacked, then both attacked. I agree that if the little girl had been bitten in the face, she would not have been unharmed when it was over.

And according to the AG, you can't get in between these dogs and their targets, unless you become one yourself, so how did these strangers (and yeah, where the heck was the owner???), so quickly and easily pull the dogs off and keep them from being attacked themselves? Nothing makes sense. But I am sure by the time they correct the story, we won't see it in print.

At first read, I thought I was reading a synopsis of some new television drama that the AG may have pitched to some tv network.

Michael Bryant's Perfect World

In this episode, one dog innocently stands back and watches his buddy, a smaller, pre-labelled vicious and unpredicable dog attack a couple of people. When both dogs are picked up for breaking the law, witnesses come to the rescue of innocent one, after all, he was merely in the vicinity and didn't do anything. He returns to the streets, where his owner allows him to continue to run free, especially now, knowing that the streets are safe, now that the evil, vicious (soon to be banned) dog remains behind bars.

What the...

Talk about contributing to the mass hysteria. This province, and it's reporters, are bordering on ridiculous. If I didn't know better, I'd think I was living in the twilight zone.

:sad:
Old March 14th, 2005, 07:09 PM

another child bit

I too read these stories..my gripe is..train urselves and your cchildren to repect all animals..Too many times i have seen a youngster poking sticks thru the neighbours fence(parents fault) teasing a dog who is mostly tied up(owners fault).
Adults walking down the street and a dog (any breed) comes barking at them. What does the adult do? kick their foot and yell. Why not ignore and keep walking..chances are the dog will not follow.
My shep/rottie adores my 3 yr. old gr. daughter. i trusst him 99% with her..but because of the other 1% i wud never ever leave her alone w/him. She has been taught never to bother the dogs when they are eating..or sleeping. I try to teach them the joys as well as the danger of being around dogs. The same as our woodstove makes us feel cozy comfy, but also a danger to touch.
I love stopping to talk to people out walking their dogs in town..I always ask permission to pat them..and always just offer my hand to them big or small.
It's called respect. thx for listening Top.
Old March 14th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to say I agree let parents take responsibility for their children. Where are the parents when these things happen? I am responsible for my dog so if you can't teach your kids to respect animals then keep them away from them. It is not up to me to be responsible for there kids if they aren't why should anybody else be. Sorry but these days and I am generalizing but parenting skills are severely lacking. But these irresponsible parents are certainly quick to blame anybody but themselves.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old March 14th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
I have to say I agree let parents take responsibility for their children. Where are the parents when these things happen? I am responsible for my dog so if you can't teach your kids to respect animals then keep them away from them. It is not up to me to be responsible for there kids if they aren't why should anybody else be. Sorry but these days and I am generalizing but parenting skills are severely lacking. But these irresponsible parents are certainly quick to blame anybody but themselves.
If only we did live in this perfect world Mastifflover. No matter what the circumstances may be, if a child is injured or killed by a dog of any breed. the dog will be blamed. Society will never look at animals as equal, deserving due process, and having any rights. The dog and owner are at fault, regardless. Shoot, these days a thief can break into your home at night, be attacked by your dog and the criminal can sue you for liabilty. Has happened many times. Irresponsible parents are not under the microscope, the dog is though. Still a disposable society.
Old March 15th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Senior Contributor

this mr bryant seems a smart man, why tell the truth about dogs and PBs, that being, it is not as bad as he makes out and the media focus on the breed- so he tells lies and get votes, he works on ppls fears, well he is either a really smart and sleezy politician or he is jsut plain dumb, probably both i suspect.

funny thing is, i have never been attacked by a big dog in my life. but as a small child of 4yo i had my face torn open by some small poodles at my great aunts house, yes irrisponsible and silly parents. but hey, ppl seem to think that all big dogs are bad and that little dogs are just lovely and harmless, experience has definatly shown me this is far from the truth.

and kids need to learn respect for animals and how to react in such situations, my goodness i have taught my 10yo nephew what to do in a dog attack and how to get away in tact (ie submitting with body posture, eyes down, hunched submission position, these things are taught in courses for electricity workers and postal workers here and they seem to have droped the numbers of serious attack on the sort of employees)), we have also drummed respect into the kids whilst teaching them the type of circumstances and streses that make a dog attack sometimes. but then we are responsible carers of both child and dog, something that may not be all lthat common really.

poor dogs, poor puppies, poor humans for having such sad attitudes and egos
Old March 15th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

It reminds me of how parents say atheletes are role models,no they shouldnt be,u should be there role model,again irresponsible parenting....
Old March 15th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
It reminds me of how parents say atheletes are role models,no they shouldnt be,u should be there role model,again irresponsible parenting....
Well said, Heidiho!

And how do you teach responsibility? By example! Is this a forgotten concept nowadays? I'm willing to bet that the majority of parents on this forum have GREAT kids!
Old March 15th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Senior Contributor

It just makes me mad when say, Kobe Bryant has an affair or whatever,and parents get so mad saying they are role models, our children look up to them,well if that is who your kids role model is that is sad,it should be Bill Gates[hee hee].NO they are human like all of us and make mistakes that's all...
Old March 15th, 2005, 06:24 PM

I agree that the " hysteria " of vicious dogs is waaaaayyy out off control but I think we all agree on that. I also believe that there are many irresponsible owners. Having said all that I do think that ANY dog that is loose and attacks ANYTHING WITHOUT provocation has problems, period. A stable , strong nerved , healthy dog DOES NOT bite or attack without darn good reason. I have been around protection trained dogs of many breeds and have 2 German Shepherds myself that have had some protection training and ALOT of obedience training. If one of my dogs accidentally got loose (they would not leave the yard due to TRAINING) they almost certainly would not bite someone unprovoked. The breed is not the issue, poor training, poor breeding are the culprits.