Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Thank you - Heros big and small

Old July 27th, 2008, 09:39 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

To All My Friends … I thank you.

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all of you who have befriended me here. These past few weeks have been exceptionally hard on me. My mom was diagnosed last Oct with a non aggressive lung cancer. We were told at that time she had 2 ½ to 5 years with us. We could accept that. She had already been through breast cancer three other times and beat it. Every day we had with her was one more we hadn’t thought we would have.

Up till the first week of June she was still in her own apartment. This was quite a feat for her considering what she had been through. She persevered through everything; losing her breasts, having her chest opened a month after losing the last one to have the bones scraped again because they missed some cancer cells. She came through it stronger than ever. And we were so proud.

In June she moved into my sister’s so she could be watched closer. She was getting weaker but still saying “Just wait. I will get over this.” July 9th she went into the hospital. By this point the meds she was on were making her very disoriented. She was tending to ramble but she still had her sense of humour, she still had her smile. July 12th she had a stroke. She was no longer able to talk, to make us understand what she was trying to say. I kissed her on the forehead when I went to see her on that Wednesday. (I am three hours away) and told her I loved her. I heard her whisper I love you back. I thought “Wow mom, you’re still in there fighting!”

I went up to see her on the 19th. Mostly I sat beside her holding her hand, looking at her, crying. She only opened her eyes a few times and that was with great difficulty.

July 20th , 9:30 PM I lost my mom. She would have been 82 this Oct. She was my rock, my centre, my confidant. I miss her.

I wanted everyone to know how much their friendship, their humour, even their ohhhhss and awwwws over my babies have helped me to cope with one of the hardest things I have had to cope with in my life. Not many people here knew what was going on. Frenchy did. I can’t tell you how much help she has been to me! So thank you all!! Especially Frenchy!

Treasure the time you have left with your parents if you are lucky enough to still have them.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:57 AM
-

My heart goes out to you Geri, I know how you are feeling, I too lived through the same scenario with my own Mum in l999, seeing one's mother fade away day by day is heartbreaking and it makes one feel so helpless. Big Hugs to you and your family........Chris
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Ohhhhh 14+.....

You have me bawling.I am SOOOOOOOO very sorry for your loss.My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.

Treasure the memories you have.They will never die.They will last forever.

We are here for you.

"mom"
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh sweetie, I'm so so sorry. There is no greater pain than losing those we love. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:25 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
You have me bawling.
Me too I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

14+ My heart goes out to you today! I went through losing my rock about 9 yrs ago! My DAD! I was Daddy's little girl! really! but we had the best relationship! I could tell him anything! honestly even girl stuff..

When I lost him it was immediate. He had a heart attack and died instantly. There was no time for anything to be done! no time for anything to be said! and I am so thankful that I told him I loved him the day before he left us!! SOme people never get that chance! So I am sooo glad that you had the opportunity to stand by your mom during her valiant fight! that means alot! You will be stronger for that! I wish I could say its going to be easy but it wont be!

To this day little things will get to me and I will have a good cry, then a good laugh and remember all of those special memories I have tucked away! I am sure you have lots of those! You are a strong women and this will make you even stronger!

You are right though! the kindness of strangers on this site is wonderful! it really is!

CIndy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:54 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry for your loss, Geri. Your mom sounds like a wonderful woman and the world will miss her presence.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:31 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Thank you ladies.
Do you guys know the story about if you find a penny it means someone in heaven is thinking about you?
On Friday, the day after we buried Mom's ashes, I went outside to feed the kitties. I called Stormy and she came running. I put down the food I was carrying and bent down to pick her up and guess what. Right at that same exact spot where Stormy was was a bright, shiny penny. I picked it up, looked up and said Thanks Mom.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

14+ Grace and i send our sympathies. It's terrible to lose a loved one especially a parent.
Old July 27th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

I am so sorry for your loss as well. :sad:

I'd also like to extend my deepest condolences.

Sincerely,

Marko
Old July 27th, 2008, 01:24 PM
-

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your mom. :sad:

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.
Old July 27th, 2008, 01:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Do you guys know the story about if you find a penny it means someone in heaven is thinking about you?
On Friday, the day after we buried Mom's ashes, I went outside to feed the kitties. I called Stormy and she came running. I put down the food I was carrying and bent down to pick her up and guess what. Right at that same exact spot where Stormy was was a bright, shiny penny. I picked it up, looked up and said Thanks Mom.

I have heard that story too, and since it was a bright shiny penny, it must have been your mom.
Old July 27th, 2008, 01:34 PM
-

I've always loved this little poem ......

Quote:

God looked around his garden
And He found an empty place
And then He looked down upon the earth
And saw your tired face

He put His arms around you
And lifted you to rest
God's garden must be beautiful
As He always takes the best

He knew that you were suffering
He knew you were in pain
He knew that you would never
Get well on earth again

He saw the road was getting rough
And the hills were hard to climb
So He closed your weary eyelids
And whispered "peace be thine"

It broke our hearts to lose you
But you didn't go alone
For part of us went with you
The day God called you home

Anon
Old July 27th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Geri, I'm so sorry for your loss
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

My thoughts are with you. I lost my Mom at a very young age (she was only 62) and I don't think I have got over it.

I am glad that your mother is in heaven thinking of you .
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. Losing a parent is one of the hardest things we have to deal with in our life. It makes the other things we complain about pale. I lost my mother at 16 and I'd give anything to have her with me today. I treasure every moment I spend with my father and tell him I love him constantly.

Your mother sounds like she was an incredibly strong and optimistic person. She's in a better place now and she will be watching over you always.

*hugs*
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 27th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Geri,I am sooo sorry,losing your mom is very,very difficult,I know..your wailing-wall,your cheer-leader,your picker-upper when you felt down,a huge part of your life and in many ways responsible for the wonderful person you are today.
I had no dad,so what hit me the most when my mom died at 53 yrs old,I was nobodies daughter anymore,my brick was gone.:sad:
I hope you find some comfort with the rest of your family,also with your wonderful needy little furry ones.
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I'm so sorry about the loss of your mom.

Cindy
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your mother 14+. I've lost both my parents, and truly feel for you. I hope you are able to find comfort with your family and all your furbabies.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 27th, 2008, 10:22 PM

Geri I'm very sorry for your loss

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 28th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Senior Contributor

My sincere sympathies for your loss....
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh 14+, I had no idea of what you were going through, you are always so upbeat and a joy to chat with .

You and your family are in my thoughts.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Doggie Wench

My heartfelt sympathies to you and your family, 14+.
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:14 AM
150% PRO S/N

Thank you all for your thoughtfulness. It means so much to me to know I can come in here and be with so many wonderful people.
I lost my dad when he was 49 to cancer, one of my sisters 3 years ago at 53. It's been tough at times but life goes on. Mom would want that.
Rainbow, that poem is one of my favourites too. I would like to find a copy of it to put at the gravesite. All three of them, Dad, Mom and Marg, are together now.
Thanks again everyone for your kind thoughts.

Old July 28th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Half Way To Crazy

My sincere sympathies for your loss

Old July 28th, 2008, 11:55 AM
150% PRO S/N

Thank you Breeze

Old July 28th, 2008, 04:23 PM
proud to be a cat slave

My deepest condolences as well, 14+ - you've been such a help to me over the past few months, and to think you were going through this at the same time!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:53 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks phoozles. Being here actually helped me get through it. You guys are all so great!!

Old July 28th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Senior Contributor

To All My

My condolences on your huge loss.
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:41 AM

To you and your family 14+ it's not easy, stay strong.
Lost my Father inlaw(our best friend) 5 years ago and some days I still cry. Those days I always remind myself Quality is always better than Quantity.