Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 17th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Pet Transportation / Taxi

Hi,

I am heading up to my cottage in Gravenhurst and I am without a ride. Normally, I take my cat with me so that she can spend a couple of weeks running around the woods chasing squirrels, birds, etc.

I haven't contacted the Rail company yet but does anyone know of any Pet Taxi service that will be able to transport my cat from Toronto to Gravenhurst? it should be a 1.5 - 2 hour ride.

I don't have a license (living in downtown Toronto) or else I would drive myself.

Thanks!
Old August 17th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I bet if you called around to taxi companies, there are some who would do this. For a hefty amount . But doesn't VIA take animals? Even in the baggage car, 3 hours would probably be manageable, unless your cat gets really really stressed in the crate.
Old August 17th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Only Ontario Northland travels to Gravenhurst and they only accept seeing-eye dogs. No pets allowed anywhere even in their carriers

I wonder if I can sneak her in a duffel bag or something, would that be too cruel? usually the cat is pretty quiet
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe put him on a leash and he could be your seeing-eye cat
Did you try taxi companies? Then you could ride together. Or you could post for a ride on Craigslist and see if anyone is going your way, or at least closer. Then there's getting back. Complicated...

Last edited by badger; August 17th, 2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Maybe put him on a leash and he could be your seeing-eye cat
Did you try taxi companies? Then you could ride together. Or you could post for a ride on Craigslist and see if anyone is going your way, or at least closer. Then there's getting back. Complicated...
This blows, I'd hate to leave the cat alone in the apartment.
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Do you know anyone who could stay at your place while you're gone? Otherwise, he would need at least once-daily visits, cats get lonely.
Maybe a friend could drive you up and fetch you. In exchange, you could offer him/her a couple of days relaxation and gas money.
Old August 17th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Do you know anyone who could stay at your place while you're gone? Otherwise, he would need at least once-daily visits, cats get lonely.
Maybe a friend could drive you up and fetch you. In exchange, you could offer him/her a couple of days relaxation and gas money.
I am pretty sure I got the ride back covered. I leave on Monday and my buddy is working this week but will be dropping by on the weekend.

The ride up is the problem right now. I just called the cab company and they're charging $300 for the ride up alone lol
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

You could try Lyon's Pet Taxi/Ambulance Service (they are GTA based). I am not certain if they do "regular" runs, but can't see why not. Would not be cheap though. Re taking cat on train in baggage car, heck there is even (normally) a baggage car train from Toronto to Ottawa which is ludicrous. I wouldn't try sneaking your cat on - I know someone who was caught doing that. One thing for sure though is that if you have to pay to board your cat for 2 weeks, the cost would probably be about the same as the taxi ride. You could also check with limo companies - I know that some companies take people to Buffalo Airport from Toronto for flights. Or arrange a set amount with a taxi who will take your cat. Just have to tell them before hand. A fellow go goes to my vet takes a taxi with his dog "Norm" but always tells taxi company beforehand, just in case.
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

OK I have the solution. Your buddy spends the week at your apartment and brings the cat with him when he comes up.
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:41 PM
-

I would leave your cat home and arrange for someone to come in to feed/play with it while you're gone. I don't think it's a good idea to let your cat "run around in the woods chasing birds and squirels".
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

He likely wont be coming home on the return trip if you do that! Sorry I have to honest! (if you read some of the threads here you will see many missing animals out there!) Unless your planning on keeping him on a leash? Your cat will be much happier if you left it in its home environment....cats get into a routine, and their not usually happy when you change it!

Hope you find a ride but leave your kitty home!!!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Have you taken him to the cottage before? If not, you may find your cat will be too stressed to enjoy the outside. They are not like dogs that love to explore new places, they like to keep to their known territory. I think they may be better off staying at home and have a sitter come in to take care of him.
Old August 18th, 2007, 03:36 AM

It's all worked out. I found a ride for Monday morning. We depart to Muskoka as early as possible.

My cat loves the cottage. She was raised to be an indoor cat but to me, it is clear that she prefers the outdoors more. Must be her father's or mother's genes. She is never sad when she's kept indoors but lights up when I let her come out to the garden for an hour or two (while I watch her, of course)

Personally, taking her outdoors (supervised) is not a bad thing at all; like some people make it out to be here. I have attached some photos of her excursion to the Muskoka area last year.

Old August 18th, 2007, 03:37 AM

Some people would even love to be in her position

Old August 18th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow, beautiful place, any room in the car for me? Glad it worked out.
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM
~Cat Servent~

Glad you got it all worked out... and the problem most of us have is the owners who let their kitties roam free and unsupervised, its just dangerous. Your kitty is clearly supervised (and photographed...so cute!) so I don't think any of us would harangue you for that.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M