Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Old January 6th, 2006, 03:50 PM

homemade treats for dog with pancreatitis

Does anyone have a vegetarian dog buscuit recipe? Zachary, my miniature schnauzer cannot have anything with added fats (no peanut butter, no meats) He only eats a low residue diet with low residue cookies from the vet but I'd like to find him something else for some variety.

Thanks!
and Dusty, being as good as his DNA will allow
oh...and the cats, Rex & Lucky
"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

This one looks like it may be good.

Low Fat/Low Protein/Low Phosphorus Dog Cookies
If you want a snack that will be safe, here is the recipe for cookies with almost no fat or protein. Super easy to make. Depending on how large you cut them ( I use a heart shaped cutter that is approximately 1.5 " and get two cookie sheets full of them), you can get enough from one batch for 2-3 weeks. Be sure to freeze those you will not use within a week. These are perfect for pancreatitis, for renal or liver problems since there is little fat or protein in them. See recipe for how to make no-fat homemade chicken broth below*.
Note that dogs with renal (kidney) disease should be fed a low phosphorus diet. If they do not have liver or pancreas problems, fat is good, including butter. Egg whites are also good to use, as they contain almost no phosphorus. There is no need to limit phophorus for dogs with liver disease or chronic pancreatitis, so any kind of flour can be used for them, but it is important to limit fat for those dogs.

· 2-½ cups rice flour or white all-purpose bleached flour (these two are lowest in phosphorus, which is best for kidney disease)
· ½ tsp. garlic powder, or fresh ground
· 6 Tbsp low sodium, low fat chicken broth*
· ½ cup cold water
· 1 cup cooked vegetables ground up (winter squashes, zucchini, and sweet potatoes are low in phosphorus, which is best for kidney disease)

Combine flour and garlic; mix in chicken broth and vegetable(s); add enough cold water to form a ball; pat dough to ½" and cut into desired shapes; place on non-stick cookie sheet and bake in preheated oven at 350F for 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Freeze what is not eaten within a week.
Old January 6th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is the one for the broth, hope this helps

Non Fat Chicken Broth

You can use a pressure cooker and complete this in 2 hours, or a stock pot and finish in 24 hours.

Remove skin from whole chicken OR chicken pieces. ( in the pressure cooker I use 3 leg quarters from which I remove the skin before cooking ). Place the chicken in the pot with distilled water. For the pressure cooker, cook on high for 2 hours and in the stock pot, simmer on low heat for 16-24 hours.

Remove the chicken and bone from the broth and discard ( all the nutrients are in the stock)

Pour the broth into a fat separator ( looks like a pitcher with the spout coming from the bottom ) After 10 minutes the fat will float to the top. Pour off the small amount of fat at the top and pour the low fat broth to a container. Be sure to watch what you are doing because near the bottom you will come to more fat and will need to stop pouring into the pot and discard that part, too.

Refrigerate the broth and when it is cold, any fat remaining will be gelatin on the top. You can remove part of it or you can pour the whole thing through a super fine mesh strainer, which will stop the fat and allow the plain broth through. You will find that after the broth has been used and you run your hand inside the container, it will not be greasy.
Old January 10th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Thanks, Toonces. That does look like a good recipe. I think all my dogs would love them! Now all I have to do is find a pressure cooker
and Dusty, being as good as his DNA will allow
oh...and the cats, Rex & Lucky
"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'
Old January 10th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't have a recipe and don't know the ingredients, but Prin might. We both feed our dogs Northern Biscuits. I know the company makes a vegetarian cookie but as the store where I buy mine doesn't carry them I couldn't say whether they would be a safe "store bought" cookie - should you be pressed to making your own. The only reason I know about them is I happened by a different pet store and saw them in the window. The woman told me that they are the only cookie her dog can eat - and he is one of the few survivors of the major lepto outbreak we had in Ontario. His kidneys are shot.