Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old April 15th, 2010, 04:28 PM

Kennel Cough

Hello all,
My wife and I recently got Lucy a 14 week old Morkie. (Maltese-Yorkie) She has had her 2 set of puppy shots and other vaccines recommended by our vet. I had to take her back about 6 days ago for a cough she started developing. Lucy is now on an antibiotic/steroid that we give her 2 times a day via plunger. Her cough isnt getting any better, and to be honest seems to be getting more violent (like trying to hack up something) She doesnt have anything caught in her throat as far as we can tell.
She is very active and has a very healthy appitite. Currently feeding her eukanuba wet/dry mix for puppies.
The funny thing is she only coughs/hacks early in the morning around 2 am and will go back to sleep after i take her out of her crate (crate training her) and she goes to pee. Coughs a little here and there but not as violently as she does at 2-3 am.... vet says not to worry, but to keep an eye on her, but thats easier said than done! Were wondering if anyone else has had a similiar situation and if they could point us in a direction that will put our minds at ease ><

Lucy and my wife and I thank anyone in advance for any help they can give us.
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:34 PM
-

Try giving her a bit of honey to soothe her throat , it should make her feel better.
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Most fosters I get do have K/C. Only meds that seem to work effectively is Baytril.

However, if you see green snot coming out..you need to go back to your vet.
Old April 15th, 2010, 05:04 PM

no snot or runny nose or anything that crusts up near her nose or mouth. I will try to find out more about the Baytril. Maybe try the honey out tonight before we go to sleep!

thnx!
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm not sure Baytril can be used in pups, though...

We've had some pretty nasty cases of kennel cough (sometimes all 8 dogs at once ) and most have started improving after about a week of meds, so it may just be that you haven't waited quite long enough. If your pup is still energetic and eating and drinking normally, you can wait a bit before a recheck. But if lethargy develops or she goes off her food, get her in to the vet as soon as you can.

If the coughing becomes really bothersome, there are some cough suppressants that your vet can prescribe, but as in humans, it's usually better to cough the stuff out than try to stop the cough entirely.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'm not sure Baytril can be used in pups, though...
Oh geez hazelrunpack - you are right. Anyways - she can ask the vet and they will let her know.