Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 7th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Wellness for allergies

So braxton is exhibiting signs of food sensitivity from Innova, So i switched him to Wellness whitefish and sweet potato, does anyone have any suggestions/comments about this. thanks for all the help. I chose Wellness because its at the store closest to me, which is better because i dont have a car and carrying dog food for blocks in the winter not so much fun(an all holistic food store) and i know that they removed the artificial vit K from it. but any better suggestions. let me know please
thanks guys (Im still dog food stupid)
Old November 7th, 2006, 04:32 PM

It's a bit grainy for an allergy food...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellness fish and sweet potato
Whitefish, Ground Barley (dehulled), Rye Flour, Menhaden Fish Meal, Ground Pearled Barley, Sweet Potatoes, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Tomato Pomace (natural source of lycopene), Natural Fish Flavor, Flaxseed, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride... etc etc
But the protein is still barely higher than the DVP Natural balance one (22% vs 21), even though the DVP looks like it's actually got more fish in it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVP Natural Balance Sweet potato and fish
Sweet Potatoes, Salmon, Salmon Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Canola Oil (preserved With Mixed Tocopherols And Citric Acid), Sweet Potato Fiber, Dl-methionine, L-lysine, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Rosemary Extract, Natural Flavor, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin K1 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9).
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dog...as/SPFish.html

For an allergy formula, the DVP is less likely to cause allergies (being grain-free). If the store you get your food from has the DVP potato and duck formula and not the fishy one (which they usually do, if they carry the DVP line), then they'll definitely be able to order the fish one for you.
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

heres the store and the listing of te foods they carry (im not sure if i am allowed to post this) but if you see one here that would be good please let me know.
PS all you food gurus ROCK
http://store.drdoos.com/index.php?cP...505b6aac54f080
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Well, out of those, I'd say try the one you're on, and if that doesn't work, then go on to the Wellness Simple Solutions Venison one.

I called them (your Dr Doos store) because they're on the DVP site but they say they've never carried it. Either way, there are quite a few stores on the list in London. You just might want to call first... (if the wellness doesn't work out).
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/home/canada.tpl
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks Prin your super-wicked-awesome
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:12 PM

lol Thanks. I try.
Old November 7th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Simple Solutions Venison has now worked for 60 days with Patch. It's a new record, so I would recommend it highly as everything else has been a bust so far after 30-45 days. It's still not perfect but it's darn close. For those who don't know Patch, this is the result of allergies we have been battling since he was a wee lad so to speak. 1st photo is the damage, 2nd photo is the success.
Attached Images

Old November 7th, 2006, 09:36 PM

Yey! I was wondering how Patch was doing.
Old November 7th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Senior Contributor

awesome.... lucky brax isnt near that bad. he's just been itchy quite a bit so i think its more of a sensitivity than a full blown allergy. AWESOME that its working for your dog though
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:04 AM
-

WOW....what an amazing difference.