Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:58 AM

Cat puts feet in water bowl

Our senior cat (15 years) has started putting his feet in the water bowl. We understand that he has a depth perception problem and is creating ripples on the surface of the water to enable him to drink easier. He then steps into the litter box. The result is paw prints and kittly litter all over the place including litter stuck between his toes. I have considered purchasing a bubbling water bowl/ fountain or adding food coloring to the water. Anybody have any success in dealing with this problem. Thanks.
Old February 14th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofendog View Post
Our senior cat (15 years) has started putting his feet in the water bowl. We understand that he has a depth perception problem and is creating ripples on the surface of the water to enable him to drink easier. He then steps into the litter box.
How close is the litter box to his water bowl? What about moving them farther apart, and putting a towel around the litter box to help dry his feet off before he gets in?

Quote:
I have considered purchasing a bubbling water bowl/ fountain or adding food coloring to the water. Anybody have any success in dealing with this problem. Thanks.
A water fountain is a good idea, although not all cats like them (the key is to introduce them slowly - get kitty used to drinking out of it before turning it on). It also makes it harder to gauge how much water a cat is drinking, which I think is an important clue to their health (especially older cats).

I wouldn't use food colouring. The fewer chemicals a cat ingests, the better.

Another option is to get a different style of bowl. So for instance, if you currently use a stainless steel or transparent glass one, try a dark coloured ceramic bowl instead. Or maybe one with stripes or ridges in the interior that you fill to the same line every time. Larger surface area might also help.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 14th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Formerly Bastien

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
How close is the litter box to his water bowl? What about moving them farther apart, and putting a towel around the litter box to help dry his feet off before he gets in?

A water fountain is a good idea, although not all cats like them (the key is to introduce them slowly - get kitty used to drinking out of it before turning it on). It also makes it harder to gauge how much water a cat is drinking, which I think is an important clue to their health (especially older cats).

I wouldn't use food colouring. The fewer chemicals a cat ingests, the better.

Another option is to get a different style of bowl. So for instance, if you currently use a stainless steel or transparent glass one, try a dark coloured ceramic bowl instead. Or maybe one with stripes or ridges in the interior that you fill to the same line every time. Larger surface area might also help.
What she said ^^^^
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Our Ginger has always done that. She upped her "paddling" recently when she had an ingrown claw and the Vet thought she was trying to cool it. So I suggest you carefully check that foot for sign of injury.

A taller water bowl might help. It will be hard for her to keep one front foot on the floor and paddle with the other. Of course she might very well then stand up on the edge of the bowl. And if the tall bowl does work then you have to keep it filled up to the top or she'll gag herself when she drinks.
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Cat puts foot in water.

Thanks for the reply. This 15 year old male cat has only started doing this recently. I figure it is a depth perception problem and he is causing the water to ripple so he can locate the surface. This way he keeps his nose out of the water. He is declawed and there is no foot injury. I keep washing his foot to get the kitty litter out. The water water is changed frequently to prevent him and the other cats from injesting the kittly litter.
What I am looking for is a water fountain where he would see the water clearly and not have to find the water surface with his feet. Presently the more water in the bowl then the more he splashes out onto the floor. Thanks.
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
What I am looking for is a water fountain where he would see the water clearly and not have to find the water surface with his feet.
There are many different styles of water fountains available these days: http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...ter%20fountain

One thing to note is that they require regular cleaning and filter replacement. Can sometimes be a bit of a hassle. Oh, and the movement of the water may actually encourage some cats to play in it (and drop toys in it!) so it may or may not solve your problem.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:59 PM

Cat puts feet in water bowl.

Thanks for the other suggestions. Water bowl is two rooms away from the litter box. During the day, we dry and clean his feet. Bowl placed on serving tray with small carpets spread out to absorb the water. Need to find a water fountain that cascades water down an incline and into a covered resevoir. This way there will be a smaller amount of water getting on his foot and hopefully none at all if he sees the water clearly. Will have a look in the local pet store. His heart is strong so we have another five years or so to solve this problem. Picture of Dude from Christmas 2004. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old February 17th, 2012, 08:15 AM

Smile Cat puts feet in water bowl

Purchased Cat It Fresh&Clear drinking fountain #50053 from Mondou pet store (they don't sell pets) yesterday. Senior cat now drinks from bubbling water without getting his feet wet. Also available from www.hagen.com. Hope this helps someone else.
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
very good advice!

What if you also put the food and water dishes under a towel. If your cat tolerates that then the towel might absorb some of the moisture from the paws immediately after drinking. just a thought.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:43 PM

Cat puts feet in water bowl

We had tried all your helpfull suggestions. Water bowl on tray, dish cloth under water ball, small carpets all over. He still had to put his feet in the water to create ripples on the surface. Now with the bubbling water, he does not raise a paw. No more kitty litter and paw prints on the hardwood floors. No danger of him ingesting kitty litter as he cleans his paws. The other big fellow likes to drink from the fountain. But the other four do not like the fountain at all. They are still very mobile and have their fresh water bowl on the upper level. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:09 PM
Willing cat servant

@woofendog Your cats are so beautiful btw
Old February 28th, 2012, 03:10 PM

All animals are beautiful. Here's Buster in 1999. Broke his leg somehow in the house one week after we adopted him as a stray. Vet put him back together. We also picked up his sister "Elly". Another stray. Still trying to find a home for the mature black male. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old March 1st, 2012, 06:25 AM

had same issue

Hi,
I had the same issue with my cat Tonali, she would put her paws in the bowls of water.
Turns out Tonali just liked water! And she still does this for the fun of it. She likes to have the bathroom sink filled with a few inches of water and play in it!

Glad to hear the water fountain was a good help, don't forget to change the filter in it, as well as the water often!

PS, your pets are sooooooooooo cute!

sandyrivers.
Elphin April 21st 2008 m -cat
Stibule(Gino,Airell,Katla,Rasta)June 6th 2009 f- cat
Gino Ferrero April 8th 2010 m -cat
Airell Awenn Awnfenn Ep Berrth April 8th 2010 f- cat
Katla Chilam Balam April 8th 2010 f- cat
Rasta Farian Marley April 9th 2010 m- cat
Chipcat-Filou found June 12th 2011 (Ocicat 6months old) f-cat
Jane the Snow Cat rescued Dec27th 2012 f- cat
Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am using filtered water and adding about 16 ounces per day. Changing the water three times per week,cleaning filter and all parts. Will change the filter as per the manufacturer's recommendations. Good to see that you are taking care of all those cats. Thanks.
Old October 24th, 2012, 12:44 PM

Low cost solution.

The large plastic coffee container has a sealed bag with sand to prevent it from tipping over. The water bowl fits in nicely. The older cat is unable to reach up to put his paws in. He does manage to shake the container and move the water which makes it easier for him to drink. The other fellows have no problem with this set-up which is used on the enclosed deck.
Attached Images

Old November 17th, 2012, 06:07 PM

We have a bubbling water bowl and our cats just love it. We also have a few other water dishes set around and our middle cat just loves to place his front paws into the water. He then licks them off so we do not have the issue you are having with the paw prints and litter all over.