Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 30th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Angry Too All Of You Posting AGAINST buying mixed or hybrid dogs....

I'm sorry but when I read these posts I kind of got upset. My boyfriend asked me if I wanted to take a ride to a pet store just to kill some time one afternoon....with no intentions of necessarily buying anything. I didn't realize they even had dogs or cats there. And they did. All I know is that I saw an adorable, sweet looking puppy so I asked the attendant to take her out so I could spend some time with her and I fell inlove with her. I asked what breed she was and was told she was a Puggle (Another hybrid being completely knocked by breeders and purebred buyers). Now YES I know a pet store is the worst place to buy a dog.....for YOU.... But it's the best thing you could do for the dog to get them out of there. Some of these places aren't much better then shelters and by buying that dog I saved her life. And I'll be the first person to admit I spent 1000$ on her. Not because she was a puggle,(I had never even heard of these dogs till I asked what her breed was) not because of any reason other then I fell inlove with her and needed to get her the hell out of that place. I immediately took her to the vet and found out that she had a bad respiratory infection and pnemonia. Had i NOT bought her for any reason (cause it was a pet store or because she was so expensive ect) the vet said she would have been dead within 3 or 4 days. I was going to use that 1000$ to buy a used car (I'm a college student and don't have extra money to throw around) and instead I saved a puppy. I don't care what breed she is or how much she cost or anything else, all I care about is that because of me she's alive and happy and healthy. If no one buys them, those puppies will die (JUST LIKE AT A SHELTER). I'm sorry but knowing you waited 6 months for your purebred and spent a thousand dollars (when someone else probably would have bought it in a minute and they were perfectly ok either way) isn't nearly as important to me as spending all the money I have to buy a sick dog to save her. Whether you buy a dog for a lot of money from a pet store, even a puppy mill or an ignorant breeder or rescue one from a shelter you are still saving the dog from a bad situation!!!!!! If you boycott or are against ANY form of buying ANY dog you are allowing these dogs to be left in neglegent conditions and possibly die! Think about this from the dogs' perspective for a minute!
Old June 30th, 2005, 02:59 PM

If you buy from a puppy mill, a pet store or a puppy broker you are only contributing the unethical business. YES it is sad to see those dogs there, but by buying one to "save it" as you said, you are actually encouraging the backyard breeders to continue their unethical breeding.

You may save that one dog, but in the end you put money in the pockets of people who are doing harm to dogs. By allowing the puppies to sit in the stores without finding a home, you are actually doing more good. Sure, this is terrible for the handful of dogs in the stores, but if no one buys dogs from pet stores then they will have to stop bringing them in...thus shutting down the business.

If I were you I would do some more reasearch on the puppy mill, back yard breeder and rescue operations in this country...I'm sure you'll have many people come on here to enlighten you.

Once you've walked a mile in the rescuers shoes you may have feel differently....you won't love your dog less (which no one would ever suggest you do), but you may learn that the pet store is not a good place.
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

OBVIOUSLY you're new here! Welcome..

When we suggest that people not buy animals from the pet store it is because you are supporting the BYB and puppy millers breeding those dogs. You wouldn't go out and buy all the drugs froma drugdealer to prevent them from being bought by a child would you?

We realize that this poor innocent animals are suffering. The people that put them in that condition will continue to do so even if we were to buy all the dogs inthe pet store to save them! Do you think those people breeding these dogs over and over without proper shelter, space, food, and water really care about the fact that the dog is sick when they try and sell it? Nope, it's all about the money that you're putting in their pockets.

Yes, I know you said to look at it from the dogs prepective... but it's really a difficult situation - do you encourage the continuation of BYB and puppy miling by supporting their breeding to save that little puppy in the window? There will always be another little puppy in the window.....
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:04 PM

but.......

I have done research. I am completely aware and enlightened. AND I am also somewhat of a dog rescuer myself. I've had SEVERAL families of dogs stay with me until I carefully screened people and found them wonderful homes. Dogs right off the street. You're saving the puppy if you buy it and then NOT encouraging ANYTHING if you then go and report the matters to SEVERAL of the proper authorities afterwards.........I apologize I believe I left that part out
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:04 PM

I don't have a problem with mix breed dogs. In fact most of our dogs have been mixes. The only purebred that I have ever had is my beagle, and she was abandoned as a puppy not purchased by me. We found her malnourished and full of worms and fleas. The only problem that I have is with the people who breed them. They are in it for the money not for anything else.

Pet stores sell the products of puppy mills and backyard breeders. By purchasing a pet from a store you are allowing the cycle to continue. Another will take it's place in the cage and thousands more will be bred because there is a market for it. People are buying them. Yes you saved that one puppy, but left behind is her mother, father and hundreds more.

I have nothing against mixes, there are many wonderful pets at shelters and rescues around the world waiting for a home. I love dogs, regardless of breed, I just believe that they should be bred properly and not for profit.
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:05 PM

Congrats...

on the new puppy. We're there other puppies there? If your puppy is as sick as you say it is then others would be sick as well. Maybe you should call your local humane society and lodge a complaint against the store...then they could go in and investigate and hopefully find out what PUPPY MILL or BYB that your puppy's parents are at and they could possibly save them from a lifetime of breeding, neglect, and abuse. See it doesn't just stop by "saving" a puppy.

Jenny
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:08 PM

look up!

People, read my second post.
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

fast fingers

This has happened to me....I am merrily typing my response in what I believe to be a rapid manner and the answer appears ahead of my response, making me look like a boob that hasn't read the posts! In actuality, it's just about timing, especially when several people are responding simultaneously. It is encouraging that you are considering contacting authorities on this matter.
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Thumbs up thanks!

I had no idea......for a second I thought it was just being ignored! thank you. When I brought the pup to the vet I ran into a few different people who alsp bought animals there who had problems and I am researching how to attack this place and wherever they get their animals from in full force!!!!!!!!
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Even if you reported the situation to the authorities (what were you reporting...that the puppy was sick?) you still gave the miller and the pet store that supports the miller 1000 dollars. That is still contributing to the cycle. You say to look at things from the dog's perspective. It is easy to take that attitude when it comes to an adorable little puppy but what about his mother? She's probably not too adorable as her coat is most likely matted with feces and her feet are possibly even deformed from the wire in her tiny cage. If you and all the others who just can't resist that puppy in the window, hadn't bought a petstore dog, you would have helped cut down the demand for whatever type of designer mutt it was you bought and maybe that poor mother dog would have one less litter she would be forced to have in terrible conditions. That's the way i see it, anyway....no amount of rationalizing and excuses will EVER make it okay, in my opinion, to buy from a pet store.
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:25 PM

Yup, many people were responding at the same time. I think it is great that you are reporting it. I had a converstation once with someone at a vet clinic while I waited about puppies in pet stores. She informed me that they have an account with a particular pet store and there is a constant stream of sick puppies and kittens from this store.
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:27 PM

now you're talkin'!

Well you have come to the right place to find out how to do that! I'm sure there are several on this site who have dealt with this very issue and will be a fount of good info on this one! I say for starters, gather info from folks that have purchased animals from this store and also any medical bills that they have incurred. Pet purchase receipts would be good especially if they coincide with veterinary visits. You could also have someone go in and smoothly ask where the animals come from. Anyone out there done this type of espionage before??
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Agility Addict

I will never buy from a pet store or breeder (reputable or not) and I think you'll find that many people on this site are the same.
I believe in rescuing animals, not putting money in the pockets of people who are out to breed pups that will *hopefully* sell qucikly for a profit.
We all know how easy it is to fall in love with a puppy (no matter where it is, where it came from or how much it is). But buying from a pet shop only perpetuates puppy mills and byb's.
I don't think it matters that your are reporting them to the authorities, you still bought your Puggle for a ridiculous price tag and are encouraging byb's and puppy mills. You now have a part in increasing the demand - what else do you think is going to happen but an increase in supply? Tomorrow there will be other puppies in the window.
I am a university student as well and if I had $1000 I would get a pup from a rescue and save the rest (for vet visits or that used car!)
Melissa
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Thumbs down To Amber

You are saying this to a girl who a week earlier took in a 13 year old BLIND maltese who looked like hell. Had the puppies mother been at the store I would have bought her too!!!!! And I'm not talking about calling someone andsaying i want to report a sick puppy. That would be an excersize in futility! I'm not a nitwit! I have spoken to lots of other people who have bought animals with HUGE problems from the same place, I am organizing a petition getting everyone together andinforming the press, media and SEVERAL organizations about this place and casueing a HUGE deal about it....which is kind of what ALL of us should be doing asanimal loversinstead of spending all of our time posting messages on the internet TALKING about things! we should all be DOING things! I have taken in every ugle, old, sick, beaten up dog that's crossed my path so please don't tell me it was easy for me to buy my puppy because she was cute. I have spend thousands of dollars cleaning up and tending to animals that no one wanted. Please be aware that you might not know the person you are making these accusations towards and they might be false.
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Angry to MOST not all but most of you

I'M getting off my rump and DOING something about this.....are any of you? Cause if you're not don't lecture other people about promoting this stuff.......Doing NOTHING is just as bad as encouraging it!
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:45 PM

okay now, ease up a little

I see where this is going. Yes, a puppy was purchased at a petstore and it is now healthy and in a loving home. I don't believe the puppy was purchased with the intention of perpetuating sales for a slipshod cruel animal breeding factory. It was bought to help it, which is another way that some folks out there, without the inside scoop on mills etc., might look at things, or in blueyedviolin8's case, (BEV8, if I may), to save it's little life. This has actually become a catalyst for BEV8 to become proactive in the dissolution of said puppymill/byb operation. This to me, is a GOOD thing!

BEV8 now owns this little doggy and is not to darn likely going to "return" it to the petstore or the BYB. She owns it and is now gonna work with others on bringing down the nasties

How's about we focus on helping her do this.
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:49 PM

Lightbulb Yay!!!!

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU Lezzerpezzer (or Lezpez if i may ) SOMEONE'S ACTUALLY GETTING ME HERE!!!!!!!......lets save ALL the puppies AND their ugly parents ! i'm obviously joking about the ugly thing.......COME ON PEOPLE STOP TALKING! START DOING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedviolin8
I'M getting off my rump and DOING something about this.....are any of you? Cause if you're not don't lecture other people about promoting this stuff.......Doing NOTHING is just as bad as encouraging it!
Doing nothing and then lecturing other people about also doing nothing is non-productive, true. But refusing to do business with a particular entity or type of entity and then lecturing others to also refuse to do business with that particular entity or type of entity is also known as a boycott.
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Exclamation ?!

but that IS doing nothing!!!!! it's passive aggressive!!!!!! boycotting these places is insuring that A) other people will buy the dogs anyway and B) THESE DOGS WILL BE NEGLECTED AND DIE!!!!!!!!!!!! don't boycott......boycotting is a form of laziness! it's a lame way of not CONTRIBUTING to the problem but not doing anything about it in the grand scheme of things either. I'm sure all thoseanimals are very happy to know so many of you would let them sit there and rot rather then get up and fight for them. To call yourself an animal lover and NOT do something ACTIVELY and AGRESSIVELY (and i dont mean hitting people with chairs agressively) is disspicable!
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Iysh. BV8, I suggest you get your "knowledgeable" butt on over to some of the graphic websites that show you EXACTLY how some of the puppy mills are run. Viewing THOSE pictures will far better educate you than obviously we can. By buying a pet store puppy, you've placed 1000-1500 smackers in a back yard breeders hands.

Since you're such a rescuer, why on earth didn't you go to petfinder?
Old June 30th, 2005, 03:59 PM

You're welcome....

On this site, as you are quickly learning, people are very passionate, in different ways and about different issues. No 2 minds are exactly alike, but our main focus is the welfare of animals. What one may do to solve a problem may not be what another would do, but you are on the same path to the same resolution. Get rid of the source of sickly, ill-bred, mistreated animals. If you refer to post # 12, I gave you what little bit of advice to help you that I could think of, as I have never attempted to do such a monumental task! I hope others will be forthcoming with good stuff to set you on your way. I am outta here for the weekend and will try to check in to see how this thread is progressing. It is very interesting and good luck BEV8! Regards, Lezpez Happy Canada Day to all!!
Old June 30th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Exactly what Bearsmom said...............
Old June 30th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyedviolin8
but that IS doing nothing!!!!! it's passive aggressive!!!!!! boycotting these places is insuring that A) other people will buy the dogs anyway and B) THESE DOGS WILL BE NEGLECTED AND DIE!!!!!!!!!!!! don't boycott......boycotting is a form of laziness! it's a lame way of not CONTRIBUTING to the problem but not doing anything about it in the grand scheme of things either. I'm sure all thoseanimals are very happy to know so many of you would let them sit there and rot rather then get up and fight for them. To call yourself an animal lover and NOT do something ACTIVELY and AGRESSIVELY (and i dont mean hitting people with chairs agressively) is disspicable!
Don't you dare accuse members of this board of not caring. There are several members on here who run rescues, and some who have spent months and millions fighting the puppy millers. Watch what you say.
Old June 30th, 2005, 04:06 PM

It's not called passive-aggressive. That is a personality disorder. It is called passive resistance. Somebody tell Gandhi he was lazy, please.

However - a boycott does involve actively educating others to the cause and trying to establish secondary boycotts through economic and social pressure rallied against affiliated organizations.

Quick link to a PBS article outlining a few successful boycotts in history:

http://www.pbs.org/now/society/boycott.html

Rosa Parks - the lazy woman who wouldn't get off that &$&#^$ bus. Man. What's the world coming to, eh?
Old June 30th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

ROTFLMHO @ u Anita

Thats brilliant
Quote:
It's not called passive-aggressive. That is a personality disorder. It is called passive resistance. Somebody tell Gandhi he was lazy, please.
Old June 30th, 2005, 04:40 PM
banned user

Sorry, buying a pup out of a pet store

just isn't the best thing to a dog. You probably saved one, but you'd just sponsored another 10 puppies to be mass produced and perhaps dumped later. There are thousands if not millions of dogs in shelters waiting to be adopted, I'd get them out of euthanasia room first.

A pet store IS NOT a shelter, they work for money and money only. In a market economy, demand drives everything, so to stop the supply, you'd have to cut down the demand, which is YOU, individual buyer. Sorry if this is upsetting you, but unless people stop buying puppies from puppy stores, puppy millers will always exist.
Old June 30th, 2005, 04:52 PM

lissa, bearsmom: exactly

blueeyedviolin: i never called you a nit wit , nor did i make any "accusations". All i was saying is that you were failing to look at the perspective of the mother dog. The dog you don't see in the pet store window. I don't really care how determined you are to take some sort of "action" right now as you just put 1000 dollars into the puppy mill industry. Congratulations. I do act...i have handed out countless puppy mill flyers, i have been asked to leave pet stores for informing customers where dogs like your little puggle come from and i am preparing to foster for a puppy mill rescue. Many people on here work in some form of animal rescue so i would be careful who you accuse of doing nothing. And i would have to disagree with you about posting on the internet being a form of doing nothing. Education is the most important form of action, in my opinion, when it comes to puppy mills. There is a lack of information and there is dangerous misinformation.
Old June 30th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsmom
Don't you dare accuse members of this board of not caring. There are several members on here who run rescues, and some who have spent months and millions fighting the puppy millers. Watch what you say.
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Cat Whisperer

Our local rescues banded together and got the local pet stores to largely stop carrying puppies. (One still does, but they take in accidental litters from families in the town to do so). So instead of saving ONE dog, they saved hundreds.

You have come onto this board with a very condescending attitude. You think that because you have saved dogs, you know more about saving dogs than anyone else on this board, and you are sadly mistaken. Members here slave with rescues to save dozens of dogs each DAY.

You chide people for spending $1000 on a purebred dog... yet if you'd gotten your same puggle mutt from the shelter and given them $1000, imagine how many more lives you could've saved? At least reputable breeders, the kind that you wait 6 months to get a puppy from, ACTIVELY participate in rescue and adoption. Your pet store certainly doesn't do that. Our shelter asks for donations of $25, because that's food for one animal for one week. Giving your $1000 to a shelter would've kept 40 animals alive for one week. Please don't talk to me about how many dogs you save.

I am so upset right now, because of the attitude you have taken towards the other members of this board, accusing them of not caring because they don't buy puppy-mill dogs. (BTW, have you been back to the pet store? Is there another sick puggle coughing in the window? It's only a matter of time, because YOU enabled them. They made a huge profit off of that dog, and they'll go and do it again.)
Tailchaser and Scuffledig, Gerbils
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:34 PM

designer breeds at shelters...

Now is a good time to mention that my Sister adopted a 4 month old F1b goldendoodle (which is 3/4 poodle and 1/4 golden retriever) from my shelter about 2 years ago. Sadie was originally purchased at a petstore in Toronto for $1400 +tax. The people who bought her had bought her brother the week before and when they went back and saw her still there they felt sorry for her. Then they realized a month or two later that it was too much have two dogs - they gave her away to a friend of mine after asking no questions, and she ended up with me (friend got her with the intention to have her spayed & rehomed so she didn't end up in the hands of a puppymill). Sadie ended up having colitis and having a tumour removed at 6 months of age. I would think that her parents are still out there somewhere making more sick puppies for that petstore.
Thankfully Sadie's condition can be controlled by diet and she's turned into a gorgeous girl....even though my sister loves her, they'd never even think of going to a petstore to get another one.

Jenny