Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 25th, 2008, 04:57 PM

Roxy's nail biting

Roxy's being a weirdo again.

Lately she has been chewing on her nails. It hasn't really concerned me until last night when I saw her pulling at them and heard her chomp hard on them.

Does anyone know what could be causing her to do this? I thought maybe they were too long so I took her into to get them cut, and she's still doing it.

I bought her a bone with peanut butter in the middle thinking she's been bored or something, and she chewed on the bone for awhile, but then started biting her nails again.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any advice you can give!
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:15 PM
cat slave

roxy';s a dog right??

my cat chews on her nails when she grooms herself, but only the back paws. She cleans them then she chews on the nail and chomp chomp...then she stops. DOn't know why either I figure it's a grooming thing

but I don't know why a dog would do it
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Yes, she is a dog.

I don't know either. It's confusing me. I tell her, "Stop biting your nails," and she looks at me all confused, so I'll cover her feet with my hand and she'll stop.

She is such an oddball.
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:29 PM
-

It isn't normal for a dog to chew their nails. It could be from boredom. Is she getting enough exercise? It could also be from allergies. What are you feeding her?
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice. I've been thinking about switching her off that though to a local store that gets organic, natural dog food. My vet said a lot of vetrenarians in our area use it.

She goes on these kicks every once in awhile where she doesn't want to eat when I put her bowl down. She'll go back later and finish it. I think she doesn't like the food or she's teething pretty bad. Her front teeth are coming in, and she's loosing them.

I don't know what to do with her. I've taken her to the vet too many times haha. She's very healthy and playful.

I TRY to walk her at lunch every day, but it's been so darn cold lately I haven't been. Instead I play fetch with her ball in the house for at least a half an hour at night. We also play tug aware a lot. Haha.

I live in a townhome with no backyard, so I feel bad for her, but we're moving to a nice house in a couple months with a backyard, so she should be a lot happier.

DO you think she's bored? Or have you heard about Nutro being bad for dogs?