Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 11th, 2007, 07:01 PM

gassy dog

My golden retriever has a very sensitive stomach and gets gassy easily.
I have found that dry biljac dog food seems to be pretty good with her, but if she eats something else either a different dog food or something she gets into outside she will get gassy and it does not seem to go away. I take her to the vet and they give her anti-biotics or a shot and some canned food to give for a few days and it clears up. But that is expensive.
Is there any other way to get rid of the gas?
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Stop giving antibiotics for one. That's killing off all the natural healthy bacteria in the GI tract.

I home cook and always encourage others to do so. No matter what dog food you buy commercially to me it's all garbage because it's not fresh.

Why not 'try' to home cook for your dog? Boil some meat whether it's chicken or turkey or beef (chicken thighs are inexpensive) and add some potato, carrot to the food. Feed that and that only for two weeks, along with yogurt to replace the healthy bacteria killed off by those nasty antibiotics. If you use probiotics yourself you can give them to your dog as well or just go buy some at the health food store. Sprinkle in the yogurt. Make sure the yogurt isn't full of sugars/sweeteners. After a week you can add some other things like rice, peas, cottage cheese, salmon, sardines.

Medical doctors are finally getting it in their heads that the overprescribing of antibiotics is creating super bugs that are resistant to penecillan. The same thing is going to happen (actually is already).

There is no need to ever give an antibiotic unless there is a KNOWN presence of bacteria which cannot be remedied otherwise.

It will take awhile for your dog's system to recover from the a/b use as it does with humans.
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Young at Heart

I second the "No antibiotics" (unless specifically indicated that is). I now make my dog's food too - well, supper anyway. They get a grain-free kibble in the morning but supper is fresh veggies (organic) - carrots, brocoli, cauliflower, eggplant, zuccini, beets, yams - chopped into rather large pieces so they have to chew. For meat they get ground beef, steak, roasts, chicken, liver - whatever - no pork though. Amber has a sensitivity to pork.

Bobby and Amber are both Goldens - Bobby has food issues and I've gone through too many different kibbles to count. Since he's been getting the fresh veggies and cooked meat - no problems!
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

That's great news Jan

I've been home cooking for 4 yrs now and wouldn't do anything differently.
I buy bags of kibble to feed to the raccoons and even the stray cats get canned salmon or sardines from me. I'm such a softie!!

As you begin to progress with home cooking you can add more veggies, fruit if your dog likes it and other healthies/goodies.
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba View Post
That's great news Jan

I've been home cooking for 4 yrs now and wouldn't do anything differently.
I buy bags of kibble to feed to the raccoons and even the stray cats get canned salmon or sardines from me. I'm such a softie!!

As you begin to progress with home cooking you can add more veggies, fruit if your dog likes it and other healthies/goodies.
Oops - I forgot to mention the fruit - they get bananas, apples, blueberries, and I'm about to try pineapple! It's made an amazing difference in Bobby..
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:20 AM

instead of antibiotics (unless they are prescribed)
try good grade probiotics
i did and are still doing wonders for my menagerie
and boy did i have some gassie guys
as a matter of fact thats why i have a bulley called stinkie

Last edited by goober; November 12th, 2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:57 PM

Hmm, I have a friend who used to raise sled dogs and she said they only fed them raw meat - never cooked.
Is raw better or cooked?
I can try feeding my dog "people food" but I thought that would make the gas worse.
I have some chewable probiotics.
I will try that too.
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:08 AM
-

Feeding raw or home cooked meals for your dog requires alot of commitment. You must be sure that they are getting everything balanced and the right supplements. There are alot of knowledgable members here that do so and the Food Forum would be a good place to check out for information.

If that is not what you want to do then I would feed one of the grain free kibbles. There are lots available now but Orijen (www.championpetfoods.com) is my favourite.