Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 8th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Drug Prices for Pets!!!

Has anyone watched this show? It is a CBC program showing how myuch vets charge for meds- often a 400% markup!!!

Here is the url: (CBC Marketplace)

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2007/1...t_your_wallet/

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/images...wallet_lrg.jpg

Last edited by CyberKitten; July 8th, 2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Geek Club CEO

I haven't read the articles, but I can tell you that vets I know charge very little markup for the actual drugs (especially pills, which can be super-cheap), but they DO charge a pharmacy or dispensing fee (same as with human pharmacies). So, 100 pills at 1 cent each works out to only one dollar, but then there's usually an 6-12$ dispensing fee added on. Even if you got the vet to write a prescription for you to fill at your own pharmacist (which can be done for some meds), you'll end up paying roughly the same amount because of THEIR dispensing fee.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:02 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Interesting! When I was looking at getting meds for Keesha for her seizures the vet told me I could get them from him or he would write me out a scrip and I could get them from a people pharmacy. He said it was the same meds but would work out considerably cheaper.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Geek Club CEO

Every pharmacy or clinic is going to have their own dispensing fee...it pays to shop around a bit.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Watch the story before commenting! They found a horrible situation in Canada!!! I am sure the vet here would not do this and my vets is good but there are NO regulations and vets can charge that they like (It WAS like this for MD's at one time too) However, I have seen some horror stories but when one is dealing with living beings, three should be NO markup!!

Pharmacies have a dispensing fee but some are better than others but it is still cheaper than buying directly from most vets - all studies show this.

It always irks me that the same meds often used for pets are used for humans I(tho perhaps not for the same ailment but in some cases, yes) but I am able to write a script for my cats and even my vet admits that charge and she is wonderful - includes the fee with the cost of the visit unless it is a long term med.

When you see an a drug that vets pay $4 for charging $43 plus or more, there is something wrong. I could understand a dispensing fee - within reason - maybe $10 - but not an outrageous fee. Pls watch the program!! It may be eye opening for some.
Old July 8th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Rox - forever in my heart

I did watch that show and was stunned by some of the markups.
My vet will frequently give me a prescription that I can have filled at the Jean Coutu pharmacy down the street. She has even phoned in prescriptions to the pharmacy after hours when needed.
Old July 8th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Yup, there does seem to be quite the mark-up...sadly...taking advantage of people in need and emotionally drained...people who just want their pets to get better.

I found prices vary even within the vet office! The potassium I give Mooki is half price if I buy the capsules and empty the powder into her food as opposed to buying the pills and crushing them up, BUT the vet was trying to sell me the pills first!

The vet did however suggest the acid controller Wal-Mart sells as opposed to something she sells...
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I find it funny how it even varies from vet to vet in the same office! We have a fantastic country vet who loves our dogs (Chase and in-laws dog Heidi) and frequently charges us for all of half the work he does on the dogs (i.e. examines both for one exam fee), charges no dispensing fee, recommends drugstore meds whenever possible, and gives us free stillbesteroll (sp?) for Heidi from time-to-time. Everything is always super-cheap!

But our friend takes their cattle dog to a different vet at the same clinic and she pushes uneccessary x-rays and convinced them that it was VITAL that they buy a $100 bottle of glucosamine from her and that the dog can't possibly have any other kind, especially any for humans, as it would be completely ineffective!

I hate that our vet is an hour away but I'm pretty scared to switch to a new one...especially after learning about the medication mark-ups!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:38 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten View Post
Watch the story before commenting!
Ummm, how do you know we hadn't watched the shows before you posted about them? Anyway, I posted from personal experience.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:58 PM
MiniMomma

I am not sure if I am allowed to post on different topics..

My vet has a huge problem with some of the prices that are charged by other vets.

For example a 355ml Ventipulmin- that I need to give to a horse that has heaves. It cost me 80 dollars. At the vets office in town. They wanted 325 dollars for the exact medicine.
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:07 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

I've learned from personal experience that what some of us don't think about too is if you can fill it at a human pharmacy and you have a drug plan from work, or wherever, most times the drugs are covered. Hmmmm not at a vets.
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
I've learned from personal experience that what some of us don't think about too is if you can fill it at a human pharmacy and you have a drug plan from work, or wherever, most times the drugs are covered. Hmmmm not at a vets.

You have to be careful with that though...do you really want HR to think YOU have some of the things our pets get?!? LOL!