Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Rose-breasted grosbeak male

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak 5-9-10 H.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak 5-9-10 J.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak 5-9-10 I.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  54.5 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Brown-headed cowbird male and blue jay in freefall

Brown-headed cowbirds are notorious nest parasites, but they also turn out to be fairly approachable and rather photogenic.

Name:  Brown-headed cowbird male 5-9-10 A.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  Brown-headed cowbird male 5-9-10 B.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  43.2 KB

This guy had just launched himself from the tip of a tree and was angling back toward me--it's a dark image, but you can see the angle of the tail as he uses it to turn and the twist of the body as he changes direction. I thought it was a neat shot, even if it is dark...

Name:  Blue jay in free fall 5-9-10.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  18.4 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Blue-winged warbler

A little better than the previous shot in this thread, but still not very good. madame hazel is still trying

Name:  Blue-winged warbler 5-9-10 C.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  Blue-winged warbler 5-9-10 B.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  Blue-winged warbler 5-9-10 A.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  49.9 KB

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Chestnut-sided warbler male and a catbird

This little guy showed up this morning. He's probably our breeding male--we have a pair that nests here each year.

Name:  Chestnut-sided warbler 5-10-10 A.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  Chestnut-sided warbler 5-10-10 B.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  66.8 KB

The catbirds also showed up today but they're still pretty shy. I did catch a glimpse, though, as madame hazel was stalking one.

Name:  Gray catbird 5-10-10.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  96.7 KB

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Black-and-white warbler female

This little beauty also may be one of our breeders. She spent a lot of time checking out the oaks today. I hope she stays cuz she sure is a cutie!

Name:  Black-and-white warbler 5-10-10 H.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  70.6 KB

Name:  Black-and-white warbler 5-10-10 G.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  Black-and-white warbler 5-10-10 E.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  73.4 KB

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Rufous-sided (spotted) towhee male

These handsome devils have been around for a while, but they stick to thick cover for the most part and most of the shots madame hazel has gotten so far look like this:

Name:  Rufous-sided (spotted) towhee 5-10-10 A.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  46.1 KB

But today, she finally got lucky and the handsome dude cooperated! You can actually see the red eyes!

Name:  Rufous-sided (spotted) towhee 5-10-10 B1.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  Rufous-sided (spotted) towhee 5-10-10 C1.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  60.9 KB

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Doggie Wench

Lovely feeder, MBIE. Are birds feeding at it finally ?

OBC, I've never seen an oriole before...the orange feathers are beautiful!

Hazel, neat to see what hummingbirds look like when still . But that brown-headed cowbird looked awfully mean in the first pic. Did you scare a potential girlfriend away??
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Unfortunately, the dogs are not fans of birdwatching.

"You done yet, Mom?"
Name:  Are you done yet! 5-10-10 B.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  64.0 KB

"Hey Mom!!!! Aren't you done YET?!?!?
Name:  Are you done yet! 5-10-10 D.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  79.3 KB

"Sigh...Mom, please...aren't you done yet?"
Name:  Done yet, Mom 5-10-10 B.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  81.3 KB

Old May 10th, 2010, 09:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
But that brown-headed cowbird looked awfully mean in the first pic. Did you scare a potential girlfriend away??
I'm not sure what his problem is. He's just always glowering like that. Maybe that's why he's always alone!

Old May 10th, 2010, 10:02 PM
You can call me DOG!

Blue winged warbler pictures are stunning hazel but I especially love the one of the contortionist flying & twisting in mid air. What kind of bird was he?

I must say that my favorite ones are of the "not so much" birdwatchers!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, sorry. The aerialist is a blue jay.

The "not so much" crew was at it again today, only with less patience, cuz it was raining.

Old May 11th, 2010, 03:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Watercolor warblers

It rained today and was very gloomy, but I did get a few pics from about 80 feet away. They aren't sharp, but they do show the general color pattern of these birds. Because of the weather, the images have a sort of soft, watercolor look to them, don't they?

Male Cape May warbler:
Name:  Cape May warbler 5-11-10 A.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  98.4 KB

Male Magnolia warbler:
Name:  Magnolia warbler 5-11-10 A.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  85.0 KB

Female Nashville warbler:
Name:  Nashville warbler 5-11-10 A.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  95.3 KB

Aren't they cute?

Old May 11th, 2010, 03:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Btw, the Magnolia warbler is sitting in a hazelnut bush.

Old May 11th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

gorgeous pictures Hazel. I saw my first yellow bird ..... I think it may have been a goldfinch this morning on my walk. I never see any around my place but there must be a nest nearby because I saw at least 2 of them flying around very early.
I never said I was any good at identifying birds.....just that I love to watch them!

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Did it have black wings, qmc? If so, it was a goldfinch. If not, it could have been a warbler! They're passing through in numbers now and there are some that end up or pass through your area, too, I believe

Old May 11th, 2010, 09:15 PM
You can call me DOG!

but the male Magnolia Warbler looks like Batman with a head shield!

Still no signs of hummers in my neck of the woods but Mollie has learned to jump straight up to tip her nose on a feeder hanging 6 feet off the ground!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 11th, 2010, 09:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Batman, eh? He does, doesn't he! LOL

Ember used to jump straight up to look in the wren house when he saw a bird going in, klm. It must be an 'orange' thing!

Old May 12th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Did it have black wings, qmc? If so, it was a goldfinch. If not, it could have been a warbler! They're passing through in numbers now and there are some that end up or pass through your area, too, I believe
I'm on my way out for my walk now...providing the light rain isn't keeping them down, I'll check for the black wings....they are very pretty regardless!

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM
-

Holy Crow Hazel you leave me in awe looking at the different species you get to admire. I'm totally jealous
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Cape May warbler

The light was a little better and I was able to get a little closer, so the pics are a little better today. I'm still praying for a sunny day with lots of warblers, but so far I've had to settle for rain and gloom.

Name:  Cape May warbler male 5-12-10 B.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  87.0 KB

Name:  Cape May warbler male 5-12-10 H.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  Cape May warbler male 5-12-10 E.jpg
Size:  101.0 KB

Old May 12th, 2010, 09:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Nashville warbler

Name:  Nashville warbler 5-12-10 A1.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  53.2 KB

Name:  Nashville warbler 5-12-10 B1.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  66.4 KB

Old May 12th, 2010, 09:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Female yellow warbler

I actually wasn't sure what I was looking at when I took the pic, but I was able to ID the bird when I looked at the images later

Name:  Yellow warbler fem 5-12-10 A.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  84.7 KB

Name:  Yellow warbler fem 5-12-10 B.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  33.7 KB

Old May 12th, 2010, 09:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ruby-throated hummingbird (female)

You can tell it was a cold day because she's so fluffed up.

Name:  Hummer 5-12-10 A.jpg
Size:  79.5 KB

Name:  Hummer 5-12-10 C.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  Hummer silhouette 5-12-10 C.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  24.0 KB

Old May 12th, 2010, 09:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Red-breasted nuthatch

The bad lighting seemed to suit this guy.

Name:  Red-breasted nuthatch 5-12-10 A.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  Red-breasted nuthatch 5-12-10 B.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  58.3 KB

Old May 12th, 2010, 09:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Downy woodpecker (female)

Name:  Downy woodpecker 5-12-10 A.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  Downy woodpecker 5-12-10 B.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  Downy woodpecker 5-12-10 C.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  57.7 KB

Old May 12th, 2010, 09:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Hairy woodpeckers (a mated pair)

You can see how much bigger they are than the downy woodpeckers--that's the same suet feeder the downy was on.

Name:  Hairy woodpecker tandem 5-12-10 A.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  Hairy woodpecker tandem 5-12-10 B.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  Hairy woodpecker 5-12-10 G.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  59.5 KB

Old May 12th, 2010, 09:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Male rose-breasted grosbeaks

The one with the spotting on the flanks is a first spring male. He was extremely tame. I was taking down the blind 15 feet away, turned around, and there he was on the shepherd's hook. He was so obliging, I just had to take a pic (or two, or three )

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak 5-12-10 H.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  36.8 KB

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak 5-12-10 K.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak 5-12-10 M.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  37.8 KB

Old May 14th, 2010, 10:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

LBBs: Chipping sparrow

Here's a few of the little brown birds, starting with more chipping sparrows.

Name:  Chipping sparrow 5-13-10 B.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  Chipping sparrow 5-13-10 C.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  64.9 KB

Name:  Chipping sparrow 5-13-10 D.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  102.1 KB

Old May 14th, 2010, 10:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

LBB: Lincoln's sparrow

This was a new arrival. The Lincoln's sparrows are just passing through and don't often visit here, so it was quite the surprise when I peered out of the blind and spotted this little darling:

Name:  Lincoln's sparrow 5-13-10 A.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  Lincoln's sparrow 5-13-10 B.jpg
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  Lincoln's sparrow 5-13-10 C.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  55.5 KB

They don't normally have a spot in middle of the breast--this one just seems to have a dimple Note the buffy breast band with fine streaking and the gray eyebrow stripe.

Old May 14th, 2010, 10:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

LBB: White-crowned sparrow

Two posts of these guys--I think they're pretty, so when they came calling madame hazel took lots of pics for me.

Name:  White-crowned pair 5-13-10 C.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  57.0 KB

Name:  White-crowned sparrow 5-13-10 A.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  74.6 KB

This one is blurry, but it shows one of the typical postures you see with these birds.

Name:  White-crowned sparrow 5-13-10 C.jpg
Size:  92.3 KB