Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 14th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Arrow UPDATE on my puppy's sleep-over at the vet's

first i just want to thank everyone for your kind and positive words in my previous post. it helped us stay a bit more positive going through this whole ordeal.

sorry to start a new thread, but wanted feedback regarding my pups condition. at firth the vet was afraid he had parvo, but the tests came back negative.

an xray came back showing a massive amount of gas build up in his stomache, and the vet thought something was blocked (you know puppies eat anything in sight), but souldn't see anything.

Jasper had surgery this morning and stayed stable throughout, and the vet ended up removing about 1 foot of intestine because one intestine was retracted through the other one...i can not remember what he called it, i was a little in shock, and also relieved that he made it through surgery (he told me he was a bit worried that he would have trouble during surgery as he was very weak).

My pup just has to spend another 48 hours at the vet to make sure infection in the abdomen (?) clears up.

Has anyone experienced this? Did this change anything for your dog afterwards?

thank you!
Old June 14th, 2008, 03:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Did the vet say intussusception? Where the intestine telescopes back into itself?

I've not had any experience with it, though I've heard of it. We had a dog with inflammatory bowel disease and during a flare-up the vet thought he might have developed an intussusception, but it was a false alarm, though.

Scary thing, though! Glad Jasper came through the surgery well! Did the vet know why such a thing should happen?

I know people who have had parts of their intestines removed and provided it was not a huge length of intestine, they had no problems afterward. that that's true in dogs, as well!

for Jasper's quick and complete recovery!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 14th, 2008, 03:57 PM

i *believe* that is what it is called (my vet only speaks french though)...where one intestine backs into the other. he was not able to pull them apart, as the damage was already done, so he removed a part of intestine. now we are just playing the waiting game for 48 hours to make sure the infection clears up.
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Glad to hear that Jasper made it through surgery!!!! (cute name too!!!!)

I have never heard of the condition but it appears that your Vet was able to fix it.

to Jasper that the next 48 hours are uneventful and he comes home to you soon!!!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old June 14th, 2008, 04:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post

I know people who have had parts of their intestines removed and provided it was not a huge length of intestine, they had no problems afterward. that that's true in dogs, as well!
Me too , never heard about this for dogs , only for people and they did not have any problems after. I would think the same for dogs
Old June 14th, 2008, 05:52 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sending for a quick recovery!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 15th, 2008, 01:06 AM

Never had this situation here but wanted to send some for Jasper for a quick recovery

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old June 15th, 2008, 01:10 AM
-

One of my last huskies had four inches of his intestines removed and recovered from it well.

Good luck to Jasper.
Old June 15th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Remembering Lukka

People do fine after this surgery and I hope the same is true for Jasper.
It is so hard to be away from them while they recovery at the vet. He is going to cover you with kisses when he finally gets to come home. Sending lots of good vibes for a speedy recovery.
Old June 15th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Rox - forever in my heart

I'd never even heard of this condition. that Jasper recovers quickly and is soon back to his old self.
Old June 15th, 2008, 08:01 AM

thanks for your kind words guys. still trying to figure out how this could have happened to Jasper. the parvo test came back negative. all blood count was good, so he does not have anemia. now i read that intestinal parasites may cause this condition as well, but the vet never mentioned this to me, so i will ask him about it. he's still there until tomorrow evening, so i hope everything is going well. the vet is supposed to call me today to let me nkow how he is.