Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old June 19th, 2011, 03:08 AM

Black and Tan Staffies

Hi there

I came across a page somewhere on another site saying that black and tan Staffies are not desirable, I'm curious as to why?
My wife and I chose our pup for many reasons, one of them being a choice of mine with her colouring, I grew up with Rotties and love their nature, looks and colouring so this was one of the reasons why "Coffee" came home with us. She is thoroughbred and has the papers, I was just curious and would love to hear more from Staffie Breeders, lovers.

Thanks

Dogsydog
ps we spell differently in SA, lol
Old June 19th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Senior Contributor

You will have to read up on the standard accepted in S. Africa to find out why. Different countries allow differences in breeds. In my breed, Labs, a certain controversial colour is described quite differently in the U.S. AKC than it is in the Canadian CKC. And I do not mean to mislead you as it is not the registering body who devises the standard but rather the breed club. You need to find the breed club for S. Africa. Sometimes though, the registering body is easier to find.

Out of curiosity I did check here http://www.staffordcanada.com/canadian.html

You can see the colour is not encouraged but it is not listed as a disqualifying fault. It doesn't say why. In Canada that is. We don't have many Staffies here. I've only seen one real live one and I was amazed how small they are. Think in my mind I'd confused them with the American Staffy up till now, which are bigger.
Old June 19th, 2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
You will have to read up on the standard accepted in S. Africa to find out why. Different countries allow differences in breeds. In my breed, Labs, a certain controversial colour is described quite differently in the U.S. AKC than it is in the Canadian CKC. And I do not mean to mislead you as it is not the registering body who devises the standard but rather the breed club. You need to find the breed club for S. Africa. Sometimes though, the registering body is easier to find.

Out of curiosity I did check here http://www.staffordcanada.com/canadian.html

You can see the colour is not encouraged but it is not listed as a disqualifying fault. It doesn't say why. In Canada that is. We don't have many Staffies here. I've only seen one real live one and I was amazed how small they are. Think in my mind I'd confused them with the American Staffy up till now, which are bigger.

Hi Longblades,

thanks for all your input and your information with the link, very much appreciated. Yeah I think the American Staffie has longer legs and and abit of a bigger torso, but the pics I've seen look more pit bullish, and the American Staffie has a slightly shorter life span.

Thanks again, I would still value anyone else's info from all parts of the globe, so still feel free to post.

Kind regards

DogsyDog
Old June 20th, 2011, 01:14 AM

Hi again Longblades

Great site you posted, also reads:
"COLOUR
Red, fawn, white, black, or blue, or any of these colours with white. Any shades of brindle or any shade of brindle and white. Black and tan or liver colour not to be encouraged."

Quite sad the way the colour issue is discouraged, I must say not that I would ever have looked at Coffee doing shows or anything, Her "tanned" parts of the Rottie colour formation are Brindle which really looks appealing in my opinion.

Have to say thanks again for pointing that site out to me.
Have a great week ahead everyone.

Kind regards

DogsyDog
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Glad you liked it. When they say it's not encouraged, but don't say it is a disqualification, you can still pretty well assume you're not going to win any conformation dog shows. Usually doesn't mean the dog won't make a fabulous pet and usually means you can still compete in venues other than conformation, like say agility or rally. In saying "usually" I am thinking of other breeds where some DQ colours can mean serious health consequences for the dog, like white or blue merle in some breeds.

If you can't find any S. Africa Staffy sites or people you might want to check out the Champdogs U.K. website. Lots of folks there very knowledgable about Staffies.
Old June 20th, 2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Glad you liked it. When they say it's not encouraged, but don't say it is a disqualification, you can still pretty well assume you're not going to win any conformation dog shows. Usually doesn't mean the dog won't make a fabulous pet and usually means you can still compete in venues other than conformation, like say agility or rally. In saying "usually" I am thinking of other breeds where some DQ colours can mean serious health consequences for the dog, like white or blue merle in some breeds.

If you can't find any S. Africa Staffy sites or people you might want to check out the Champdogs U.K. website. Lots of folks there very knowledgable about Staffies.

Thanks again and noted, will do

Have a great week ahead

regards

DogsyDog
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:06 AM

Here's Coffee
Attached Images

Old June 20th, 2011, 09:14 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Coffee is a doll!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww. I see you like your coffee sweet. And only partly black
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:39 AM

She is SO cute!
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:49 AM

lol, thanks guys, very nice and funny comments!!!

regards

DogsyDog
Old June 21st, 2011, 03:45 PM
Formerly Bastien

REALLY REALLY REALLLLY CUTE!!!
Old June 21st, 2011, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

She looks more like a "Latte"to me,adorable
Old June 21st, 2011, 03:50 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

what a face!!!
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old June 22nd, 2011, 11:16 AM

Thanks guys and gals for the awesome comments, much appreciated, sorry had a mad day yesterday, then when got home noticed Coffee was not doing well with her adult teeth coming through and replacing her milk canines which are still hanging in there tightly, she was in some discomfort, but seems to be back to her high spirited self today.
Thanks again for your kind comments

Kind regards

DogsyDog