Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:49 AM

Pet Walking Business

Hi there,

I was looking to start a pet walking business and was wondering if you would be familiar with the following, highly appreciate any advice:

1) If two people are both walking your dog, why would you choose one service over the another?

2) How many dogs is it safe to walk at once? (it's icy where I am, honestly rather be safe)

3) When do most owners prefer to have their pet walked? Can you let me know in order of preference (while I do keep dogs myself I might not be typical e.g. do they prefer early in the morning, afternoon, late at night)

4) What other precautions do you suggest? Is there any recommended safety equipment?

Thanks,
J
Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:10 PM

We use a dog walker and she is fantastic. She is the 2nd person we have tried. The first lady would just take about 10 dogs in her truck, drive to an off leash area and let them off. I didn't like that idea because they don't really get the attention that they need. Our lady walks on a leash and it helps them so much more. My girl also got attacked by her dog at the off leash park as there wasn't alot of control.

1) If two people are both walking your dog, why would you choose one service over the another?

It depends on how the person is with my dogs. What kind of leadership skills do they possess and how they interact with my dogs. Do my dogs like them? are they trustworthy? reliable and honest? I give my dog walker the key to my home and the alarm code. She is also bonded and insured.

2) How many dogs is it safe to walk at once? (it's icy where I am, honestly rather be safe)

My dog walker walks 2 dogs maximum. Now we have 3 dogs she brings her husband or another person along to take the 3rd dog. I think 1 or 2 is the maximium esp. with big dominant breeds.

3) When do most owners prefer to have their pet walked? Can you let me know in order of preference (while I do keep dogs myself I might not be typical e.g. do they prefer early in the morning, afternoon, late at night)

I like having our dog walker come in the middle of the day. Especially if we are at work the whole day. It gives them a nice break. But in the summer time she comes earlier before it gets too hot. She walks them for 1 full hour power walking.

4) What other precautions do you suggest? Is there any recommended safety equipment?

Some dogs can't do excess exercise due to health issues etc. Also be aware that some breeds are less intolerant to heat (in summer etc.). My boxers can't handle the heat or humidity. My girl needs to have 2 leashes on her because we seem to go thru leashes like crazy. They always unclipped on her and she will run! Being insured and bonded is a good idea. Training is important too. Our walker also has certification in canine first aid. Also consider allergies. My boy Luke has allergies to all poultry and wheat. Our dog walker has special treats just for him!
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca

Last edited by totallyhip; November 22nd, 2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Does your municipality consider dog walking a business and require a license? Does it limit the number of dogs you may walk at a time. Ditto for another municipality you may take the dogs to. Are you bonded and insured? Do you know pet first aid? I'm sure there are other considerations as well.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

We are walking our neighbors Cocker every day and have for 3 years.
We usually get her around one o'clock,after the walk we have a treat and cuddle-session.
We walk for about an hour.
Now,we don't charge anything we do it only to give Bailey a break and us some exercise.

However,I think it's a needed service for those pups alone all day and a few extra $$$ is good for anyone.