Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 19th, 2008, 01:11 PM

Angry The President's Kids want a Westie...I am so SAD!!!

I just read the new People magazine yesterday and saw that the new US President has promised to get his children a dog when they get settled…and the kids choice is a Westie that they want to call, Snowball!!!

Who can I write to in order to BEG these folks not to!!!

As some of you know, I am with Westie Rescue of Canada and we get so many Westies in because someone saw that STUPID Ceasar’s commercial and they want a Maggie!!! Then cute Maggie turns into a terrier…and out she/he goes! If these folks get a Westie, the rescues in the US will be inundated with Westies…and the puppy millers will breed Westies like they are going out of style!

I would love them to go to the Humane Society and get a “mutt”…and then when the press says “What kind of a dog is it” they reply “A sweet one!” and not say that it is a such and such cross or what ever, because as sure as shoot, the puppy millers will run with that as well and start breeding the cross like gangbusters!

In the People magazine it also said that Mrs. Obama wore a certain dress when she appeared on the View and then the dress sold out in 10 minutes…so if folks follow her on her choice of dress…a dog is not far behind!

I am SAD!!!
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:19 PM
cat slave

........they ARE going to the shelter to get their dog....that what i read. I also read they want a goldendoodle. And Obama said that they want a mutt from the shelter like himself...that was the quote lol

i wouldn't read into everything the media says you know
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

There will always be a 'pet of the year'. I hope they do go to a rescue or shelter - this will make a huge inpact I hope.

Anyways, my main concern or question would be if they are suitable to have a dog, and if they are then so be it.
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Obama said they were considering getting a shelter dog but that they wanted a dog that was hypoallergenic. I saw the interview. Haven't heard what, if anything, they have decided on, yet.

If you want to try to get through, Corrie, check to see if any of the campaigning websites are still up. Maybe you can get an email through to someone that way? Good luck!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel you have something here....

Why doesn't the rescue reach out to them? This would be great publicity for the rescue and for them as well.
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Hazel you have something here....

Why doesn't the rescue reach out to them? This would be great publicity for the rescue and for them as well.
That is a good idea.

ACO22
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, they might become a little bit more popular but any breed of dog that they choose would have had the same effect. Is it because it is a Westie or do you feel the same way about any breed that enters the White House.

I am just curious, if they will get the dog at a Humane Society or a breeder. I am assuming they will get the dog through a shelter.

ACO22
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually of course they are going to get it through a sheler. Even if they wanted to get it from a breeder, for public image, they will get it from a shelter. And yes, I would have voted for Mr. Obama.

ACO22
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM
chronically insane.

Wow, and you actually listened to what People magazine had to say?

Their daughter is allergic to dogs, they should just get a cat instead in my opinion.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old November 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I have a solution then Kathryn: 'foster with intent to adopt'! Whether that be cat or dog...I am certain that any rescue would consider this.

Oh my wheels are just turning now - wish I was a rescue in the US to jump onto this!
Old November 19th, 2008, 02:46 PM

From what I read they ARE adopting. They want a westie because one fo the daughters is allergic to dogs. They were also looking into a GoldenDoodle
Mako - Black and white DLH Cat ( found at work one day )
Expression - National Show Horse - 12-15 yrs old.

"The best kisses come from my puppy "
"There are NO bad dogs, Just bad Owners "
BAN BSL!!!
Old November 20th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Actually of course they are going to get it through a sheler. Even if they wanted to get it from a breeder, for public image, they will get it from a shelter. And yes, I would have voted for Mr. Obama.

ACO22
I rest my case. As I said above in a previous post, Seems like I am not the only one who feels this way.

ACO22