Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 10th, 2004, 08:56 AM

Question Has anyone seen this web page??

My daughter, who is setting up a Pet Insurance company, told me to have a look at savingsandclone.com At first I thought, when I looked at it, that it was a joke - but then realised that it was a *serious* web page. Not sure how I felt about it - but it is a company that clones animals. Would any of you ever consider doing so, and why? I know I wouldn't, as I like the idea of a different personality in each of my pets. But how do you feel about it?
Old May 10th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Hmmm...I'm not so sure that site is not a spoof, but considering that people have paid large sums to have their pets mummified or freeze dried , I'm sure people would do this too.

Personally, I would not think of doing it. The whole thing is creepy to me, and I have no idea what the benefit would be to cloning animals. Each of our pets is unique and you can't reproduce their personalities.
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:08 AM

I wonder how it would apply in a show ring? I can see it happening with some *best in show* dogs and of course cats. Wouldn't the Kennel Clubs around the world have to write something into their rules about this. Oh - my daughter assures me this is for real - and they were looking at it as far as Insurance Policies would deal with it. She thought it was a spoof, first off - but IS taking it seriously - as other animals have been cloned.
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:20 PM

That does sound creepy. Cloning your pooch? Doesn't sound right. I agree with LR that you can't reproduce the personality and experiences your animal has that formulate their personality.
My friend went and saw the movie Godsend, which is about cloning. Don't waste your money on it, but things don't turn out well from what I understand.
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I have heard some doctors talking about it...They said that there is a lot of negative efects.And what they mean is health.There are way to many heath risks to cloning.They were also saying something about aging faster.Or something to that efect.

As for the Dog Show world,it would never pass.Cloning would not be accepted.
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Cloning pales in comparison to this insanity. But if someone wants to give money away, there is always someone who will take it.

Freeze Dried Pets
Old May 10th, 2004, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

that is just bizarre,anyone that would freeze dry there pet has issues..