Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old August 11th, 2009, 08:32 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Exclamation Lost cats - important info

I was at my feral support group meeting last night. The vet that runs it is the same vet who has the unpleasant job of euthanizing the cats/kittens/dogs from the HS in that area. Some of the information on numbers was chilling. Out of 7900 cats turned in last year 120 were returned to their families. 120!!! :sad: That is beyond sadness. It is devastating. I am sure in larger centers the numbers are very much larger.

The important info she passed on....... When your cat is lost and you go to the shelter looking for it please, please ask if they have any cats in the sick room or if you can also look in their feral room. Your cat could have come in sick from being outside. It could have also acted feral because of stress and so would have been placed in the feral room. Please do not assume just because your cat is not in general population that it isn't there. Maybe, just maybe, this info will bring a few more kitties home.

There is an interesting book out there. I have not been fortunate enough to read it yet but it is on my wish list. Maybe an early birthday gift to myself. If you get a chance to read it please do. Redemption by Nathan Winograd. He believes we can achieve 100% no kill nation. I know this is in the States. There is no reason we can't achieve it here either.

http://www.nathanwinograd.com/
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Great advice. Here in Kingston the numbers are not as high as where you are, but they are still much too high :sad:.

IMO, microchipping should be as routine as vaccines.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

To be a tad negative, I don't think a lot of people try all that hard to find their kitties, or a whole lot more than 120 would have been returned to their owners. Loads of people just turn them loose when they move or are tired of them.

clm
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

So right, clm, there are still a lot of people who think cats are disposible. :sad:

But there are some very strange mysteries about found cats that just perplex me, such as Jasper. He was a found in a backyard and was severly injured by a dog. He is more than likely a purebred and the sweetest, gentlest soul ever, why wouldn't owners be looking for him? He was at the SPCA in a small city for over 6 weeks before I adopted him. They did have him listed as a Himalayan, but he is actually a Ragdoll. If somebody called the shelter looking for their sweet Ragdoll, they were probably told there wasn't any there.

That is why 14+'s post is so important, go to the shelter and look in all the rooms for your kitty.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Last edited by Love4himies; August 11th, 2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Slave to the Kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Loads of people just turn them loose when they move or are tired of them.
Thats how i got a couple of my cats, and he was a preacher.
Old August 11th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Those stats are absolutely horrible 14+K! Where I presently live there are so many cats that have been left to fend for themselves. One by one, I am getting them into rescue and getting them adopted. I have also people around me that are feeding them and caring for them while I get an empty spot. It's just devastating!:sad:
Old August 11th, 2009, 04:14 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
To be a tad negative, I don't think a lot of people try all that hard to find their kitties, or a whole lot more than 120 would have been returned to their owners. Loads of people just turn them loose when they move or are tired of them.
clm

I totally agree. I also know from this site and knowing people who have unsuccessfully looked for their cats that people DO look.

There were more stats than what I gave. Of that 7900 almost 5000 were PTS. Approx 1/3 of those were owners request. Either because they no longer wanted the cat or because their cat had been turned in but it had been injured too severly to help it. :sad: Now that is a stat I find disturbing. The rest that were put down were because they were deemed unadoptable or feral. That is within 3 days of coming into the system. So please, pass the word. Check the other rooms. You just never know.

And people wonder why I find it hard to find homes for my guys with stats like this. :sad:
Old August 11th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

!4+,I know for a fact that renters in the town-houses across from me often leave their cats behind when they leave.
It is really hard to understand how anyone could do this,but our Oakville HS,can attest to people not looking very hard for their cats,there are I am sure a couple of hundreds there,luckily a no-kill HS.

I tell you,if any of mine went missing,I would never,ever give up searching,I love my cats,but often times,unfortunately not all cat-owners feel that way:sad:

I wish my poor little stray,with the funny face,would let me touch him and love him,but so far all I can do is feed him:sad:
Old August 11th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Those stats are just are just heartbreaking.:sad:

And then there are kitty angels like you (and doggieangels too) who do their darndest to make sure they get a life and don't become a statistic.

I don't understand how someone could lose a pet and not go looking for them. I know I would be searching high and low until I was dead in a gutter if one of my crew went missing.

And about the sick and feral rooms, I just learnt about that this spring. A woman was looking for someone to drive her to the HS to see if her cat was there. She had no vehicle, and our HS is a bit on the "no man's land". So I answered her reply and took her. She was the one who said to check the sick and feral rooms, I said "what??" and she explained to me about the other rooms they keep strays in. Why doesn't the HS make this bit of knowledge known to people looking for their animals? I know in my few trips to the HS I have seen people looking and looking at the three cat rooms, and then leaving dissapointed. They may have been looking for their cat but didn't know about the other rooms. And I don't mean this to be rude, but the front desk at my HS doesn't have the most friendly approachable staff. I remember when my cat Peanut died from a stroke. I went looking for a new friend for Amos and I got picked by Phoebe. I had her in my arms, cuddling her and the lady asked how old my other cat was and what happened to her....I said she was just one year old and died......and the woman ripped Pheobe out of my arms........then I added because I was so rudely cut off....she died of a stroke, vet said she was lucky at how good I must have taken care of her because she shouldn't have lived that long. With that the lady was clearly embarrassed.....and went through the adoption process quickly.

Sorry for the bit off tangent.....but so many people don't know....I was one of them. Thanks for the info!!
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:36 PM
150% PRO S/N

Strangely enough the dog stats are wonderful at this HS. The euthanization numbers are amazingly low for them. It's just the cat numbers. I hate to say it but it seems there is such a "farmers mentality" in this area. Just don't worry about cats procreating. They can look after themselves.
We have a lot of work to do.
Old August 11th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Senior Contributor

14+ that info just breaks my heart. It is so sad that people don't realize that cats love us as much as dogs do, but a person has to be more intuned with cats to know this. All my cats love me, but they all show it in a different way.

I have had no call about Darby and it is almost a month! I don't know why they aren't looking for her! She is such a sweetheart!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old August 12th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Strangely enough the dog stats are wonderful at this HS. The euthanization numbers are amazingly low for them. It's just the cat numbers. I hate to say it but it seems there is such a "farmers mentality" in this area. Just don't worry about cats procreating. They can look after themselves.
We have a lot of work to do.
I think that's the main problem. So many people think that cats can fend for themselves. These people need to see what happens to a cat that's left to fend for itself. See all the strays that appear cold, skinny, beat up and matted at our doorsteps for food because someone left it because it can fend for itself.

clm
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Senior Contributor

That's just too high a number. The irresponsibility and just plain nonchalant attitude many people have for their cats and pets in general just amazes me.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Great info 14+, thanks for sharing. I never thought to check the feral/sick room when my boy was missing :sad:

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Tags
lost cats