Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 21st, 2006, 10:56 PM
Brandi

Question Need to spay my Dobie but need info

My 10 month old Dobie just came into heat. When I called my vet they said that I had to wait about a week to a week and a half after she goes out of heat to have her fixed. When my husband checked with another vet they said that you don't have to wait.

Does any know if it matters if they are in heat or not when you have your dog fixed?
Old January 21st, 2006, 11:07 PM
-

Yes, vets won't spay your puppy until they are completely out of it. Usually 1 month after the start of the cycle. It usually lasts almost 3 weeks and a week or so after will give you the month wait. This is why they suggest that they are done at 6 months. It decreases the chance that they will enter a heat cycle.
Old January 21st, 2006, 11:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, dogs can be spayed while in heat, but there's no need for you to do that. It's more risky, since the uterus is engorged with blood and very fragile. It also costs more.
Just make sure you don't let her out of your sight, and have her spayed when the heat is finished.

Don't even let her out in your yard alone. Dogs can and have mated through fences!
Old January 21st, 2006, 11:13 PM
-

If you think there could be any risk at all please get the garment for her to wear when she is outdoors. You will never want an accident. One for the fact that there is no need for accidental breedings and also she is far too young and can be dangerous so take precautions.
Old January 22nd, 2006, 08:10 AM

Tomorrow morning I'm taking our 7 mth. old lab in to get spayed. Although I haven't noticed any bleeding, I have noticed how restless she is and not interested in eating. Could she in fact be coming into heat?
Old February 1st, 2006, 04:05 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

my rottie/boxer was spayed immediately after her heat cycle was finished, she had been mated while in heat. If you do not use the garment be sure not to even blink if there are males around! However if she does infact get caught you can still have her spayed, as long as its done IMMEDIATELY after her cycle. Luckily it didnt cost more because she was not pregnate. The vets informed me of that after her surgery was complete. They didnt recommend her being spayed while mid cycle because it was a greater risk of blood loss. Be careful!
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:32 PM

Montana came into heat just a week short of 10 months (had an appointment booked for the spay the following week). The vet made me wait a full two months following the end of the heat before she would do the operation. She was in heat in June and was spayed Sept 2.
Old February 5th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Proud dog mommy!

When we had our last dog spayed she went in heat before her appointment. We waited 2 months before our next appointment. We're just hoping Precious gets in to get spayed before going into heat.