Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 10th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Performance Spaniels

Spaying and Incontinence

Tuesday I had my 6 month old puppy spayed. She was fine when we got her, had an appetite for dinner, and went to the bathroom in her pottybox. She got up a bunch of times during the night to go to the bathroom and went everytime, she's slept through the night for months now.. She is having accidents beside the box like she can't hold it long enough to get to the bathroom.

She was potty trained to the point of having no accidents for about a month until her spay. I called the vet yesterday and pretty much got brushed off. They told me "it could be a uti, and if it keeps up eventually to bring in a urine sample." She had a uti last month, and was in obvious pain, there were blood spots, and she didn't seem to be embarrassed about her accidents.. She is having none of the symptoms she had last time except not making it to the bathroom.

I was given the advice by a breeder friend that they probably manhandled her bladder during the spay and it will go away and she will be fine soon, but few people I've talked to have had these issues..

I have no problem getting a second opinion, I'd just like to be as informed as possible before doing it.
Old March 10th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess
Tuesday I had my 6 month old puppy spayed. She was fine when we got her, had an appetite for dinner, and went to the bathroom in her pottybox. She got up a bunch of times during the night to go to the bathroom and went everytime, she's slept through the night for months now.. She is having accidents beside the box like she can't hold it long enough to get to the bathroom.

She was potty trained to the point of having no accidents for about a month until her spay. I called the vet yesterday and pretty much got brushed off. They told me "it could be a uti, and if it keeps up eventually to bring in a urine sample." She had a uti last month, and was in obvious pain, there were blood spots, and she didn't seem to be embarrassed about her accidents.. She is having none of the symptoms she had last time except not making it to the bathroom.

I was given the advice by a breeder friend that they probably manhandled her bladder during the spay and it will go away and she will be fine soon, but few people I've talked to have had these issues..

I have no problem getting a second opinion, I'd just like to be as informed as possible before doing it.
Get a second opinion if you wish, I would recommend it if you have doubts. But what your breeder friend said is true. During a spay Sx the bladder is moved around to reach the uterus & uterine horns for removel, it could take a little bit of time for everything to fall back into place.

She should be as good as new in just a few more days.
Old March 10th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Performance Spaniels

Thank you. I trusted my friend's opinion, and was going to leave it a few more days to make sure..

I just wasn't too happy that the vet's office brushed me off and said it was probably another UTI. I'm happy with the explanation her and you gave.. it makes sense.
Old March 12th, 2005, 03:07 PM

I had the same problem with my 13 mo pitbull. She is normally totally reliable in the house, but about 4 days after her spay she started having accidents like she couldn't get outside fast enough. It lasted about four days and went away, she's been fine for over 2 weeks now.
Old March 12th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Performance Spaniels

Now that I've asked around, I've been told it is a fairly common problem. It's either anesthetic taking 7-10 days to get out of their system or the moving of the bladder for access. A few people told me their vets warned them that they could have about a week of accidents. I just had no knowledge on the subject, and didn't have any forewarning, so I was scared that something had gone wrong. Thanks everyone for your help.